Void - differences from EOS? Also experiences with void

Not quite sure where to place this but I’ve read up on Void Linux a bit the last week or so (after having been curious for quite a while). But, while I know about the big differences when it comes to Void vs EOS I’d love to hear some experiences.

The things I’m most interested in are:

• Apps, is there a big difference in the amount of apps available? AUR is awsome with it’s huge amount of apps.
  • Stability - is there a big difference in stability. Void touts itself as rolling but with a stable focus rather than Archs bleeding edge.
  • Ease of use/troubleshooting - If something goes wrong on EOS I know I have the arch wiki and most importantly this forum (:heart:) where I can ask my stupid questions and get help.
  • Community - I love the EOS community. So many helpful and patient people here. Does Void have a similar community? I doubt it but still, experiences?
1 Like

They both have a huge selection but the selection of the repos + AUR has many more applications that I needed than the void equivalents. Arch has a substantially larger user base that supports the AUR.

I didn’t notice any difference in stability. Both were/are stable for me. However, stability means different things to different people.

The primary reason I don’t use void is the lack of systemd.

On the other hand, void has a newer and more sophisticated package management system.

3 Likes

Can you expand on that, what makes it better?

That’s primary reason why most people would want to use Void :rofl:

I doubt you can find something better in that department :rocket:
Although no direct experiences with Void here :clown_face:

1 Like

XBPS, the Void Linux package manager, has some really nice features:

• Supports multiple local/remote repositories (HTTP/HTTPS/FTP).
  • RSA signed remote repositories (NEW in 0.27).
  • Supports multiple compression formats for repositories: gzip (zlib), bzip2, lz4, xz, zstd (default).
  • Supports multiple compression formats for package archives: gzip (zlib), bzip2, lz4, xz, zstd (default).
  • SHA256 hashes for package metadata, files and binary packages.
  • Supports package states (ala dpkg) to mitigate broken package installs/updates.
  • Ability to resume partial package install/updates.
  • Ability to unpack only files that have been modified in package updates.
  • Ability to use virtual packages.
  • Ability to ignore completely any number of packages in dependency resolution.
  • Ability to check for incompatible shared libraries in reverse dependencies.
  • Ability to update reverse dependencies of any number of packages or globally in a single transaction.
  • Ability to replace packages.
  • Ability to put packages on hold (to never update them. NEW in 0.16).
  • Ability to preserve/update configuration files.
  • Ability to force reinstallation of any installed package.
  • Ability to downgrade any installed package.
  • Ability to execute pre/post install/remove/update scriptlets.
  • Ability to check package integrity: missing files, hashes, missing or unresolved (reverse)dependencies, dangling or modified symlinks, etc.

Source: https://github.com/void-linux/xbps

Void Handbook entry on XBPS: https://docs.voidlinux.org/xbps/index.html

3 Likes

It doesn’t sound too different from pacman, except those cool features:

It has been a while since I used it but my memory was that the biggest improvement over pacman was how dependencies were handled. Especially around things like library versions.

1 Like

Generally the Arch wiki and Gentoo wiki’s, as well as most of the Internet, generally applies to other Linux distros. Obvious differences on init/services though.

Void has a subreddit with a deep history. There are outposts on telegram and matrix but thin.

Best advice would be to do some research, and perhaps try it out in a VM or on hardware for a while. There are many void reviews and youtubes you can check out.

Caveat: I run Void on my laptop and like it.

Void doesn’t come with KDE. Yet. (check it out)

During the spring and for a few months I checked it out. During that time XFCE was the only D.E. it supported, and it had a text-mode installer that looked like that of Slackware. It was a bit confusing to get out of the screen where the user chooses the “main” partition and which file system it should get.

First of all I chose “musl” version because I was curious about it. But my bad habits out of Windoze compelled me to want Wine on that installation. Discovered with a lot of dismay that Wine could be had in 64-bit only, and no Windows installers worked. It was depressing. I wanted to go further but my idea of enjoying Linux isn’t only to go browsing the web, looking at photos and writing simple computer programs. :confused:

So I tried a second time with “glibc”. It was OK but requires manual intervention sometimes. I forgot what I had to do to put a volume icon on the taskbar, probably install “pavucontrol”? Nothing to complain about Wine, 32-bit as well as 64-bit, and I was able to run what I think is the most demanding Windoze program although now it’s 11 years old. Previously I couldn’t even use it because is installer had to be executed first.

In the last two times I ran “xbps-install” it finished chugging along which turned me off.

Maybe I’ll try again but I’m not in a hurry. Either Fedora 39 or Void before my Internet subscription runs out.

Don’t care about void. I use EOS Btw!

https://docs.voidlinux.org/config/graphical-session/kde.html

If someone wants to quickly test e.g. on a virtual machine, unofficial builds can be found here:
https://www.voidbuilds.xyz/

Is there a distro that uses XBPS and systemd?

Yes but the user has to take it upon himself/herself… or it has to be done eg. for GNOME also? Any other D.E. except XFCE? What I know is that my try was during April or May 2022 and they were offering only XFCE in the ISO back then.

But why do you want this combination?

Void is very much a distro where you need to do things yourself. It isn’t really a “Just click here and it works” type of distro.

2 Likes

Why not this combination?

You need a package manager and a system/services manager.
Systemd has more features than runit.

Just install a couple of packages and set up SDDM service, following that nicely written, step by step tutorial. What more do you want?

It’s pretty much the same as on Arch, except you don’t have soystemd.

LOL enough people dislike “systemd” but you want to put that into a distro that apparently has been doing very well without it. Would Void Linux get better appeal if it allowed “systemd”? I don’t think so. There might be others, away from Debian/Ubuntu, RHEL and Arch families that carry “systemd”. I don’t understand what is the need to put it in on an independent distro that doesn’t.

Another thing. I’m not about running packages only to get one damn D.E. going. Just did that already and was intensely disgusted. Shot myself in the foot, now I’ll never recover. This was for like a couple of dialogs out of GNOME 36, but KDE would be way more involved than that and too much for my patience. So there.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.