Vivaldi minimize disk thrashing [tip]

So i needed Vivaldi specifically for itโ€™s Stack tabs feature, unfortunately Firefox doesnโ€™t have any comparable extension, and ones that it has works like absolute crap.

I hate it :laughing: But had to defuse Vivaldi a bitโ€ฆ

After quick search iโ€™ve found out how to minimize disk writes and keep stuff to RAM.

1. Create file ~/.config/vivaldi-stable.conf
    (c) https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Vivaldi#Making_flags_persistent

2. Add those flags:

--aggressive-cache-discard
--disable-cache
--disable-application-cache
--disable-offline-load-stale-cache
--disable-gpu-program-cache
--disable-gpu-shader-disk-cache
--disk-cache-dir=nul
--disk-cache-size=0
--media-cache-size=0
--disable-background-networking
--disk-cache-dir=nul
--media-cache-dir=nul
--disk-cache-size=0
--media-cache-size=0

Hope that helps some poor soul :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

But that is ๐–†๐–‡๐–˜๐–”๐–‘๐–š๐–™๐–Š๐–‘๐–ž ๐–•๐–—๐–”๐–•๐–—๐–Ž๐–Š๐–™๐–†๐–—๐–ž!

2 Likes

Thx, i knowโ€ฆi hate it :sob:

If you have someidea for alternative way of using Stack tabs exactly like there - iโ€™m all earsโ€ฆ

Stack Tabs? Never heard of him.

4 Likes

Indeed, just like whole Vivaldi!
Unless you really need itโ€ฆ

@Kresimir have offered that extension in Ungoogled Chromium, if it works good - iโ€™m gonna switch from that absolutely proprietary garbage.

P.S. I was really amazed that there are no good Firefox extensions for that task, those that exist are absolute crap.

2 Likes

Stealing this one. I expect it is going to be very useful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nah, after hours of compilation i found out it doesnโ€™t work with Ungoolaged Chromium :laughing:

1 Like

It is partially open-source, only the browserโ€™s UI / visuals is proprietary.

I love the stacked tabs feature and the new reading list feature released yesterday. The stack tabs feature is why Iโ€™ve been using vivaldi for the past 6 years ( yes since release or so). With the reading list feature, I can finally close the window Iโ€™ve been using as my reading list.

That means absolutely nothing. If there is only one line of code that is not open, itโ€™s not open source! And, by the way, that one line probably contains all the malware parts.

3 Likes

btw, i wonder have you noticed significant decrease in performance when using some heavy pages inside Stack tab and if thereโ€™s some remedy to it?

I havenโ€™t noticed any. I mainly stack twitch streams, not sure if you would consider that heavy or not.

1 Like

Yeah thatโ€™s pretty heavyโ€ฆi was working with about 8 stacked tabs and after 24 hours it was unusable, GPU Rastresation flag seems to help a bit, but weโ€™ll see in next 24 hours :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I usually donโ€™t have my pc running for that long. :thinking: