Virtualbox 6.1.12-4 fails

Just asking because it could have alraedy been installed before the problems started. I just can’t install any Arch based. But anything else works.

1 Like

How about the graphics support in qemu? And the overall performance comparing to VirtualBox?

What about the extension pack?

This is not related to Virtualbox, it’s a “red herring”.

1 Like

Qemu is working fine. I just prefer virtual-box when it works properly. I think the biggest reason is it’s easier for me to set matching screen resolution. But this has nothing to do with the current problem. On qemu i just set it slightly different. I don’t like using virtual in smaller boxes. I prefer full screen as if it’s installed. Qemu is good but there are differences. I won’t go back to virtual-box until it works like it always did.

Thank you! I may try it during the weekend.

Here is a quick tutorial.

@ricklinux ,

I just did a fresh online install of EOS in Virtualbox. Here are the deets on my current libraries…

virtualbox package details

local/libvirt 6.5.0-1
API for controlling virtualization engines
(openvz,kvm,qemu,virtualbox,xen,etc)
local/linux 5.8.5.arch1-1
The Linux kernel and modules
local/virtualbox 6.1.12-4
Powerful x86 virtualization for enterprise as well as home use
local/virtualbox-ext-oracle 6.1.13.140091-1
Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
local/virtualbox-guest-iso 6.1.12-1
The official VirtualBox Guest Additions ISO image
local/virtualbox-host-modules-arch 6.1.12-14
Virtualbox host kernel modules for Arch Kernel

… I don’t know whether or not any of these packages contains the fix you seek, but it might be worth one more try?

Thanks! I’ll give it a try. Let you know. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edir: Not working. Wouldn’t install EndeavourOS Xfce just locked up virtual-box during the install process as usual!

VirtualBox 6.1.14 has just been released. Hopefully the “Linux kernel version 5.8 support” works. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Virtual-box is still freezing up for me trying to install EndeavourOS.

New version is not yet in the repos…

1 Like

6.1.14 hasn’t reached the Arch repos yet. I tried a test compile and it needs a bit of work on the PKGBUILD so it will be a few days until it reaches us. Until then, 6.1.12 is all we’ve got.

By the way, with the LTS kernel virtualbox seems to work ok here.

Okay… I jumped the gun installing it thinking it was ready to install. Didn’t even check. :cry: :disappointed:

1 Like

I tried it and it still won’t install an Arch based distro.

Edit: I’ll continue to use Qemu with virt-manager unril virtual-box works properly on Arch based installs.

VB works for me with USB3 with this configuration

virt

and

[roger@lenovo ~]$ uname -a
Linux lenovo 5.8.7-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat, 05 Sep 2020 12:31:32 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Now virtualbox 6.1.14 is available and it seems to work OK with both LTS and default kernel. :+1:

Well… so far it didn’t freeze the machine as before.

2 Likes

Have you tried installing EndeavourOS with it?

Edit: I just installed and tried again and it freezes on the install. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I don’t know what they have done to virtualbox but it does not work for me at all. I have never ever had a problem with it until now.

New updates on virtualbox again and now finally it is working for me. Installed EndeavourOS Xfce. :partying_face:

Edit:

[ricklinux@eos-plasma ~]$ pacman -Q | grep virtualbox
virtualbox 6.1.14-1
virtualbox-ext-oracle 6.1.14-1
virtualbox-guest-iso 6.1.14-1
virtualbox-host-modules-arch 6.1.14-1
[ricklinux@eos-plasma ~]$ 
6 Likes