Virt-Manager how to get active internet

I got the installation part working but now I can’t get an active internet working. What should I need to do to get the internet to work?

Does iptable has to do something with this?

target     prot opt source               destination         
LIBVIRT_INP  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
LIBVIRT_FWX  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
LIBVIRT_FWI  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
LIBVIRT_FWO  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
LIBVIRT_OUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            

Chain LIBVIRT_FWI (1 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             192.168.100.0/24     ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             192.168.122.0/24     ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

Chain LIBVIRT_FWO (1 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.100.0/24     anywhere            
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.122.0/24     anywhere            

I found few solutions but don’t know if they would work.

It should just work without any changes once the network is up. What are you seeing in the VM? Are you using a dhcp client in the VM?

Go through the steps to set up virt-manager and when you get to network selection choose customize. I use Macvtap device and enter my device name. Then on the next screen i select UEFI and apply or leave at Bios if that is your machine. The final screen i select virtio 3D and apply. Then begin installation.

Screenshot_20210830_114231

Screenshot_20210830_114348

Screenshot_20210830_114423

Screenshot_20210830_114450

Edit: This is on Ethernet. I have never been able to get WiFi to work for me. It won’t recognize the device anyway i have tried.

I’m trying to install Kali to test this. When the installer tries to configure the network it says there’s no DHCP available and asks if I want to manually do the net cofiguration.

In the manager, I don’t see any DHCP issued for the card.

When and networks,

sinux at sinux-pch in ~
↪ sudo virsh net-list --all
[sudo] password for sinux: 
 Name      State    Autostart   Persistent
--------------------------------------------
 default   active   yes         yes
 WiFi      active   yes         yes

Are you sure kali has the drivers for the e1000? Is the device detected in kali?

That is the host, I was talking about in the guest.

My guess is that the issue is inside your VM but it is hard to say without more info.

That is because you are using macvtap. You shouldn’t have to do that. If you want to work over wifi, get the default network working. You probably are missing one of the needed packages.

I just managed to delete my kali iso :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Problem solved :rofl:

Bu seriously, you might testing with something more permissive than kali in order to troubleshoot.

I’m also using a WiFi don’t know if this is causing the issue. What information do you need from me?

We need to see the network settings inside the VM. First step is does it detect and configure the network device.

What package. I have tried numerous times.

Start with these instructions and then share the error message:

Open up wirt-manager and go to edit->connection details. Then select virtual networks and the select the default network and click the start network button. You will get an error. Let us know what that error is.

Also it won’t work over ethernet unless i use this.

Well, yeah, your default network is broken so…

I’ve always used it this way. I don’t know any different it just worked. Any way i open virt-manager and it’s greyed out if enter my password to start the network.

Edit: If i don’t enter the password and get rid of the box out of the way i get this.

Screenshot_20210830_120700
Screenshot_20210830_120714

I’m using eos now. In the live environment, the connection doesn’t get detected.

Can we see the settings on the host for the default network? On the page where you started the network before.

Default,

My WiFi,

Are you using default or wifi on the VM? Also, are both network active? In other words, if you are using wifi and not ethernet on the host, make sure you have the right network in the adapter settings for the VM.

Name      State    Autostart   Persistent
--------------------------------------------
 default   active   yes         yes
 WiFi      active   yes         yes

Tried default and WiFi nothing worked.