Vertex shader error

Hey everyone, I come again bearing an issue.

I followed keybreak’s gaming setup guide and managed to get Steam and Proton both working, also got two games to run (NFS Most Wanted and Chocolatier 2), although they’re both quite old but this is by far the peak of my Linux Gaming experience, it isn’t my first time trying to get windows games to run on linux but it certainly is my most successful attempt.

Ironically thought, I can’t get LIMBO to run for some reason, despite being a game that has a native linux version, so I tried that, didn’t work. Game booted up and I saw the “LIMBO” poster, soundtrack also plays just as the screen goes white, I can’t see anything.

I then tried Proton Experimental and Proton 7.0-5 which both gave me this error.

Screenshot_2022-12-06_03-06-44

I searched online, tried playing around with settings.txt to force window mode and 30Hz refresh rate but to no avail. I also found a reddit post of someone who ran into the same problem on Steam Deck but it was resolved with a game update, unfortunately my game is on the latest version so there’s nothing I could do.

If anyone can help me, I’d be grateful.
Thanks in advance.

Edit: I stumbled upon the difference between AMDVLK and RADV. I ended up following this Reddit post method which seemed to follow the Archwiki’s instructions too to permanently set my Vulkan driver to RADV by manipulating /etc/environment so I tried switching through a launch option to AMDVLK which also ended up not working so there’s that.

Looks like it could be directx/d3d related chexk this

1 Like

@KDen
Yes, although that’s pretty old advice:
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27078

@Alien
You might want to try those Steam / Proton GE engines mentioned in couple of latest good reviews for PC:
https://www.protondb.com/app/48000

1 Like

Just because a fix/workaround is old doesn’t mean it won’t work. :slight_smile:
Here’s a couple of launch flags you could try too:
PROTON_USE_D9VK=1 %command%
PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%

2 Likes

Of course, what i mean that generally speaking it’s better idea to try some specific engine as a fix which just works without that issue :wink:

2 Likes