Ventoy tool Live USB try to boot ISO of EndeavourOS 22 (Waiting 30 seconds, rootfs) ERROR

I use this to boot ISO: Ventoy. I tried to run the following distro EndeavourOS (last release).

The partition on the flash drive (D:) is called ‘Ventoy’ and it is there ‘EndeavourOS_Cassini_22_12.iso’. The linux system does not boot when selected.

I have such errors:

[   1.799247] pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: pciehp: Cannot get irq -1 for the hotplug controller
[   1.799253] pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: pciehp: Notification initialization failed (-1)
:: running early hook [udev]
Starting systemd-udevd version 252.3-1-arch
:: running early hook [archiso_pxe_nbd]
:: running hook [udev] :: Triggering uevents...
:: running hook [mendisk]
:: running hook [archiso]
:: running hook [archiso_loop_mnt]
:: running hook [archiso_pxe_common] 
:: running hook [archiso_pxe_nbd]
:: running hook [arch iso_pxe_http]
:: running hook [archiso_pxe_nfs]
:: Mounting '/dev/disk/by-label/EOS_202212' to '/run/archiso/bootmnt’
Waiting 30 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-label/EOS_202212 ...
ERROR: ’/dev/disk/by-label/EOS_202212’ device did not show up after 30 seconds...
    Falling back to interactive prompt
    You can try to fix the problem manually, log out when you are finished
sh: can’t access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs ]# cd /dev/d
disk/ dma_heap/ dri/
[rootfs ]# cd /dev/disk/by-
by-diskseq/ by-id/  by-label/   by-partlabel/   by-partuuid/  by-path/  by-uuid/  
[rootfs ]# cd /dev/disk/by-label/
[rootfs by-label]# ls
VTOYEFI Ventoy
[rootfs by-label]# mv Ventoy EOS_202212
[rootfs by-label]# ls
EOS_202212 VTOYEFI
[rootfs by-label]# exit
:: Device ’/dev/disk/by-label/EOS_202212' mounted successfully.
ERROR: no root file system image found
sh: can’t access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs ]# exit
:: Mounting /run/archiso/cowspace (tmpfs) filesystem, size=10G...
losetup: : failed to set up loop device: Success
:: Mounting ’’ to ’/run/archiso/airootfs’
Waiting 30 seconds for device ...
ERROR: ’’ device did not show up after 30 seconds...
    Falling back to interactive prompt
    You can try to fix the problem manually, log out when you are finished
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs ]#

I tried changing the name but it didn’t help. Any ideas so I can properly run the live version of this distro?

I would recommend not using ventoy. There seems to be some compatibility issues right now.

If you must use ventoy try launching the ISO in grub mode.

1 Like

i managed to boot using ventoy, i just mounted /dev/disk/by-id/Ventoy and then i mounted the iso itself from ventoy folder into /run/archiso/bootmnt and did exit a couple times because it first tried to mount it again and failed
i also tried to use ln -s path_to_iso /dev/disk/by-label/EOS_202212 but that didn’t work
hope this helps to solve the issue, cheers
if youre trying to boot it just do

mkdir /run/ventoy
mount /dev/disk/by-label/Ventoy /run/ventoy
mkdir /run/archiso
mkdir /run/archiso/bootmnt
mount /run/ventoy/EndeavourOS-{Your version here} /run/archiso/bootmnt
exit

it might try to mount it again, just do exit again and it should work just fine

1 Like

I use this to boot ISO: Ventoy . I tried to run the following distro EndeavourOS (last release).

The partition on the flash drive (D:) is called ‘Ventoy’ and it is there ‘EndeavourOS_Cassini_22_12.iso’. The linux system does not boot when selected.

The problem is related to whether or not ventoy/usb is booted with uefi mode or bios mode,
which is called “legacy bios” mode/support/boot in bios settings

When you create your ventoy usb you have the option whether to format the partitions with mbr
or gpt partitioning, and gpt is the format that is compatible with uefi and generally what we use
these days, unless making usb’s explicitly for older systems.

In my bios settings I have a dual uefi with bios compatibility mode that allows me to use either
one at start up. Some linux distro’s will not work appropriately with uefi mode, or wont work
while their disk images are initialized in a way, such as with ventoy, that they are not prescribed
to work.

When you boot your system, can press f11 or whatsoever to get to a boot options menu,
you have two options related to the ventoy/usb made in gpt partitioning mode that allow you
to boot in bios or uefi mode. So when there is a problem booting an ISO, in uefi mode we can try
the other mode which generally always works.

The menu looks like this for me

/dev/sdb1 UEFI [part2]
/dev/sdb1

or it says the disk label if the usb has a label

And of these two options, you can decide whether or not to boot the USB in bios or uefi mode,
in my case endeavor OS could not find the disk whatsoever until I booted it using bios mode.

There is an issue with certain versions of ventoy.

Try updating the version of ventoy on the USB drive.

Alternatively, you can try booting it in grub mode from ventoy.

Is there another tool like Ventoy that allows multiple images? Ventoy didn’t work with Rescuezilla.

Why do you recommend not using it? Is it only problematic to boot an EOS image with it or is there some general problem with Ventoy.

Incidentally, I could not install the full version from the AUR, getting error messages. Is the problem with the version in the repository or something more generic?

At that time it wasn’t working. Ventoy has since fixed that particular issue. However, that is the nature of ventoy. It is great when it works, but sometimes it doesn’t.

Create a separate topic and post the full output from trying to install the AUR package so we can see why it is failing.

A post was split to a new topic: Problem building ventoy