Using Tor Browser

Hello community,

Is any recommendations before using a Tor? Is any rules using it? As i heard its very anonymize browser and i have never used it.

Thanks.

1. Safely download it from official website, verify download

2. Launch TOR

3. Use it as usual browser, with one exception - do NOT change any settings / extensions and nothing at all (it’s anonymization models is based on a fact that everyone look exactly the same), just visit websites you want to visit anonymously.

P.S. Obviously don’t login / use anything that could get tracked to your clearnet / real identity, no soycial networks.

4 Likes

Thanks for your kind explain. thanks.

1 Like

Does TOR create its own profile? Is the existing Firefox user folder unaffected?

TOR is fully portable, it doesn’t affect anything outside it’s portable dir

1 Like

Contrary to popular confusion, it’s perfectly safe (at least as safe as using Arch Linux) to use the torbrowser-launcher package from the repos. It downloads the TOR browser from the official website for you. The added benefit of that approach is package management and automatic updates.

1 Like

Contrary to popular confusion of portability and independence? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Not sure what you mean. It’s still just as portable if you use the launcher from the repos. It’s just a small python script that downloads the latest version of TOR browser (from the official website).

On Arch Linux at least, there is rarely need to download software manually, using a web browser like some windoze user.

2 Likes

Kresimir-fun

P.S. As we’ve previously discussed it doesn’t matter in case of Arch, but at the very least having more control on such things is definitely a benefit to those who wish to care / learn about privacy…Especially if it’s first time.

1 Like

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but this is one of the very, very, VERY few cases where a garbage-tier language like python is better than a compiled language like C or C++, since anyone can inspect the source code easily. It could have been a Bash script, though… less soy.

A LOT less soy.

1 Like

After typing that out, I feel not properly hydrated. Gotta go drink some water, brb.

:frog:

1 Like

Take this.
:rofl:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.