Using Linux to update Firmware

I am new to using EndeavourOS, I am trying to use this as my “tech laptop” and I need to install firmware from CDs. The problem is that they are made for Windows and would like to figure out how I can use this newly made “tech laptop” to do that job for me. Thank you in advance for any help. I am also looking at dual booting the laptop but that defeats the purpose of me building this.

I use Hiren’s BootCD (https://www.hirensbootcd.org/) to perform updates to my UEFI firmware on a Linux only laptop.

These updates come in form of .exe files. I boot up Hiren off of a flash drive and run the .exe file that I have saved on another one.

I wouldn’t know if you could do that with CDs as well but perhaps you might find it to be worth your while to try it.

Also, you could check if your machine is supported by fwupd: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fwupd

5 Likes

What I am trying to do is use the laptop as my “tech laptop”. I need to be able to use it to run programs to install firmware for other devices to keep them updated. I know you could do a FTP server.

You need to boot the device in order to update UEFI Firmware. I have never ever updated firmware using another device and i wouldn’t be doing it from cd’s.

What @pebcak suggests is the best way.

But these devices are not computers they are phone that need updating and the way to do it is either cd or download the firmware and push it to the phones. The problem we have is the enterprise computer we use are locked down and we can’t use them to push the software. Trying to find the best way to do this with this laptop and make the standard operating procedure from this. Again thank you for your help and patience.

The best way to get the best help would be to provide as much information as possible in the OP about what problem one is trying to solve.

I would suggest to change the title of the topic to something like: “How to use my Linux machine to update the firmware of phones?”

And then provide information about the phones you are trying to update the firmware for.

Hopefully, someone with adequate experience will step by to help you out.

You are welcome and good luck!

1 Like

Hey! Old thread, I know, but just to thank you.
I managed to update the BIOS using Hiren`s BootCD.

I just opened Firefox while on Hiren`s Windows 11 and downloaded the BIOS exe file from the manufacturer site and then executed it.

Everything went smooth.

(Dell G15 5515 here)

3 Likes

You are welcome! Glad you could update your BIOS using this method.

Also, I haven’t had any new BIOS updates for the machine where I previously used Hiren’s BootCD so it’s good to know this method is still working. Thanks for letting us know!

4 Likes

I have never used Hiren’s bootcd. Is there any advantage of Hiren’s bootcd over copying your motherboard’s update firmware to a usb drive and then flashing it from within the bios/uefi?

I think some hardware doesn’t offer that possibility

4 Likes

Not all the UEFI implementations have BIOS flashing option. For example, in my case, a Lenovo laptop, doesn’t have this. So Hiren’s BootCD comes in handy for updating the BIOS on this machine.

3 Likes

I have never found it necessary to update my laptop’s bios/uefi. What’s the functionality called with Hiren’s BootCD that allows you to do this, just so I know if I want to test it out some time?

Hiren’s basically provides a Windows so called Preinstallation Environment.

You could perform various tasks from that environment like disk operations, rescue operations etc.

Also, you could run a .exe file, in this case a file provided by the manufacturer to update the BIOS.

You just need to double-click on the .exe file and follow the prompts.

3 Likes

may i remind you about logofail? There should be a firmware patch for newer systems with this issue. newer meaning anything in the last 5 years could see a possible patch/fix.

My Lenovo only offers firmware updates under a MS Proprietary format. Which is why many of us use the Hirens boot cd so to run said proprietary garbage with out needing to install such.

1 Like

My current laptop is 10 years old, don’t think I have to worry, still interesting to know that Hiren’s BootCD offers that option but I would hope any new laptop that I may buy in the future has a functionality to update the bios/uefi firmware from with the firmware itself.

1 Like

I’d add that quite a few computers from some of the major manufacturers enable updating the BIOS via DOS as well. I’ve done this recently on several Dell machines and it’s very easy. Just make a bootable USB drive with FreeDOS, copy over the executable and Bob’s your uncle! I just did it a couple of weeks ago on an XPS 15 and Inspiron 3670 that I added to my home lab collection.

Supposedly this is possible with some Thinkpad and some HP, but I’ve never done the latter.

I know people who DIY in the terminal with fwupd command daemon. Surprised no one’s mentioned it.
I personally can’t vouch for it. I trust the endeavour update with this task.

edit: I’m sure there are pros and cons with this method and I have no idea what they are. some swear by the manual updates but I’m not confident enough to do it.

I did! :blush:

school of speedreading droput here :grinning:.

by the way, are there pros/cons of doing it this way or is fwupd something Endeavour would be utilizing anyway?

I have once updated the the firmware for a supported machine using this method and it went smoothly.

If you have a supported device, I don’t see why not using it.

EnOS’ by default and by design, installs a minimal set of packages and enables a minimal set of services. fwupd doesn’t seem to be among these.

1 Like