USB audio Devices Not Listed

Still no solution, still having the same problem, even when trying to switch from speakers to headphones (both USB) I have to either plug and un-plug repeatedly and hope, or restart the system every time I want to switch devices, there HAS to be a solution out there somewhere

Are you using plasma? Right click on the volume icon and click on configure audio volume. In the panel clicl on audio and click on advanced. See if the audio devices are there and change it. You can test the output of the speakers there. Post a screenshot of it. I just want to see if the device is not actually selected.

Edit: It should look like this.

Screenshot_20200908_224900

Edit2: I see maybe you already have the sound working? I didn’t scroll up. :man_facepalming:t2:

Right now after a reboot it is there and selected, if I power the device off and then back on, it will not even be listed. I posted a screenshot above, whereas you can see there are no devices listed, to select.
check about 2 posts upwards from yours you’ll see a screenshot, and in the upper left corner it shows no devices detected at all.

The same happens if I try to plug in my headphones which are usb, they simple are not detected.

The screenshot above is just a left click on the volume icon. I was asking for you to right click on the volume icon and in the panel click on audio and then advanced to see if you can select the audio device from the drop down menu. Even though it’s not showing when you left click the volume icon you may be able to go into this panel and select it if it’s not showing.

This post may also be of help here.

1 Like

ohhh. Thank you, not sure if that is my problem 100% because it’s intermittent as hell, but either way it helps, TLP is definitely something I don’t really need on my system and I never thought to check for it.
So far I’ve been mostly just leaving my speakers on, but muting them at night.
I tried turning them on & off a few times specifically to try and re-create the issue and provide more screenshots, but of course when I WANT it to happen… so yeah.

thank you everyone

SOLVED!!!

Ok apparently the whole damn thing had nothing to do with Linux or software, or any of that.
I was checking something else, and happened to notice my BIOS was several updates old…
Flashed the latest and everything works fine now.

1 Like

Never mind… it has started again
Headset plugged in Via USB, pressign buttons even adjsuts volume, yet no sound and…
Screenshot_20200915_013857
Hyper X cloud Alpha not shown/listed at all

Nothing else will show in the scroll box if you click on the down arrow for the bottom box?

Here is some info:

That is correct, because the headset is not going through the audio card, it is a USB headset, when working it shows up as a completely separate entry

1 Like

We are running out of ideas here. Maybe if you are using USB 2.0 port try USB 3.0 port and try to use one on the motherboard. Don’y use USB ports on the case.

Rarely use the case ports as they are in an awkward position anyway.
Tried several different ports, several different devices, and i HATE HATE HATE that it’s so intermittent, making it almost impossible to trouble-shoot.

As usual a reboot WILL fix the issue, but damn if that’s not annoying to do every time I want to switch to headphones or something

Audio issues with hardware are hard. You have to go through a whole series of things to get it working usually. Look to the Arch Wiki for help.

Sorry for reviving this topic, but I am having the same problem , and searches come up with few results, and none work!

I never know when my USB DAC will or will not load on startup! Sometimes I have to reboot several times, but if this may have something to do with it: Other things don’t work either, like Evolution email client, which depends on GNUpgp. I have it set to open on boot, so my email is ready to go. When I first set it to load on startup it never worked, so I set a 1min delay, and then it worked for a few months, then again, it didn’t, so I set the delay longer, and now sometimes it works sometimes not, and its always because Evolution freaks out because GNUpgp either wasn’t loaded prior to Evolution, or if evolution starts it, then it failed. So sometimes I have to verify all my passwords to get it running!

Looks to me like the order in what loads when is completely random, and not always in the right or in a sensible order.

As for all the audio settings, I have a list of exactly what to do after reinstall of the OS, and untill like 3 months ago I always had it all work right, but somewhere something changed, but not the procedure of configuration, so theres nothing in the arch wiki that will fix nor even find where the issue lies!

Operating System: Arch Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.75.0
Qt Version: 5.15.1
Kernel Version: 5.9.8-arch1-1
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Memory: 31.3 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2

Oh: The USB ports all work after reboot and the DAC does get voltage and does light up, even the speakers let out that awful thump on boot, but it’s not listed in the KDE settings on every boot.