Upgrade an Older Install

I hope I can do something valuable! (Though I am a bit - just a bit - old… I am +60 - I hope it is still possible to teach the old dog new tricks :rofl:)

Plus learn / understand nothing. Sad thing to see (imo)

2 Likes

This would be harder to do than you may think.

Ensuring that every change could be applied safely to an existing machine that has an unknown configuration would take a lot of resources and testing.

The EOS team is not very large to begin with. We all do this in our spare time.

1 Like

Not sure I agree. An installer image is always a snapshot of the distro at a current state in time - while it’s possible to pick through all of the changes manually, if you want to update the snapshot then the easiest way is to use a newer snapshot.

Note that I’m not talking about those people who reinstall their OS every. single. time. a. new. iso. is. released just because there’s a new image. :wink:

Sorry for the slight topic deviation, but this is why the EOS community is great. In may places OP would have been decimated six ways from Sunday (sad) but everyone here simply chimed in with thoughtful, relevant commentary and explanation. Great stuff.

There is no reason to do that.
What would that achieve?

I would guess people here are more mature/friendly than people in other places.

Sorry again! I just thought all it needs to write something on the page like:
1- Firewall install by “yay firewalld”
2- App xyz instal by “yay xyz”

And it is a great job. I am really enjoying.

Well, people in those “other places” I should thank them really for “alienating” me though the distro was not that bad! (EOS as a distro is better though, but the real value in EOS is this wonderful community which I really thank for being so patient and tolerant with me!)

You posted this while I was typing my previous post… I agree with you. :rofl:

It seems to me -according to my life experience with many many people of all levels- some people feel superior by making others “inferior”. I am knowledgeable and you are ignorant so you obey me and don’t argue with me… just say “Yes, Sir!” It is a human psychological “defect” I call it.

But really knowledgeable people don’t have this attitude like here.
I am just thinking loud with my friends here, not making complements.

2 Likes

Again I would like to thank you all for being so gentle and patient with me and hope I am not wasting your time and effort.
Thank you all.

Not sure why you couldn’t have just installed firewalld? :thinking:

yay -S firewalld
1 Like

I have it already because I installed from the latest ISO, I was just thinking because of the other post discussion (my first post) if someone had an older installation that firwalld was not included so “yay” won’t install it.
I was trying to find a way to find what is new in the newer release that is not included in my installation of the “older” ISO.

Maybe it will be easier that on the “Announcement and News” thread we have a sticky thread where users and experienced users say what is new in the latest ISO and how to install the new apps or replace.
So, users will not need to make a fresh install.

The announcements for new ISOs already list out major changes.

There is one thing that isn’t at all clear to me. “Why?”

Why do you want to bring your system in-line with whatever happens to be default on the new ISO? Why does it matter what software is preinstalled on a more recent ISO?

There is no guarantee that something on a newer ISO is better for you. In fact, we remove things as well as add them. Would you want the software you use removed because it wasn’t part of the new defaults?

The defaults on the ISO are merely a starting place. They aren’t intended to define the way you should run your system.

5 Likes

Not what you think that I am after the latest or believe the latest is better.

All my concern is about something like adding a firewall in the new ISO, it may be of benefit for me of course rather than going on with no firewall.

I just assume the “latest” is more polished and maybe have a feature that can benefit me.

That is not the norm. It is pretty rare that something that significant happens. When it does it is clearly laid out in the announcement and you can certainly ask how to install it if you are interested.

If you are thinking that every new ISO release is packed with new software that isn’t the case.

That makes life much easier.
Thanks a lot @dalto

To add my own experience with building Arch based ISOs, changes to the software selected are the least important and most easily adapted to on a system installed with an older ISO. Just install or remove the packages that you feel you want or do not want. Much more interesting and important are changes I make to how the fstab file reads and the mounting options chosen. Or what systemd services are enabled by default and which services are removed. Those types of changes are much more important to how the installed system runs, and more complicated to change. Also, deeper changes like mounting options and systemd services are definitely changes you never want to push out or suggest new users just change because the ISO changed the way they are handled.

Well, welcome to Endeavour OS University where the learning never stops.

We even have frogs, clowns, and people who will think you are with the NSA for asking too many questions. You’ll fit right in!

1 Like