Up-to-date tutorial for enabling Wayland on Nvidia desktop?

I have searched Google and this one came at the top, but this seems old, because a lot of those things do not match with the latest “Cassini” installation.

It is a desktop with an RTX card. I installed Endeavour, and chose Gnome, and kept most default installation packages except that I unchecked AMD/Intel GPU things. I chose the default “System-boot”. I (think) installed the proprietary Nvidia driver with nvidia-inst (series 525 or something).

However, in the login screen, the gear icon that lets users choose Wayland/X11 is not there. nvidia-drm.modeset=1 seemed to be there by default. The /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules file was complex, but reading the comment, it seemed that for Ndivida driver 5XX, it did not seem to disable Wayland, so I did not modify that file. I ran gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features '["kms-modifiers"]'. I set WaylandEnable=true in /etc/gdm/custom.conf. Wayland, egl-wayland something all seemed to have been installed.

What do I need to do more?

In the last comment of that linked thread, the user said that he had to comment out the entire rules file. So I did so, and rebooted. Now the gear appeared. I wonder if this is a bug, or I misunderstood the comment in that rule file, that seemed like that it no longer disables Wayland for Nvidia 5XX.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.