Unofficial repository EndeavourOS

This repository for EndeavourOS contains packages compiled specifically for it. How to proceed with the installation:

Add pacman key

sudo pacman-key --recv-keys AEE1E900

Let’s add the repository in pacman:

sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf

add code:

[codelinsoft-eos-repository] 
SigLevel = PackageRequired
Server = https://repository.codelinsoft.it/eos-repository

Install keyring

sudo pacman -Syu codelinsoft-keyring

We install the EndeavorOS Settings Manager

sudo pacman -S eos-settings-manager

Screenshot:

EOS settings managaer

eos_settings_manager eos_settings_manager

Deepin

deepin_theme

Cinnamon

cinnamon_theme

Gnome

gnome_theme

Mate

mate_theme

Kde

kde_theme

Repository github:

Repository view:
https://repository.codelinsoft.it/?dir=eos-repository

1 Like

is that mhwd you have there ?
capture-200604-150622

did you bring that in with your repo? if so, can you also bring in their pamac snap plugin ?

I feel the need to point out this repo still has some of the same problems it did last time you posted this.

• You are still putting compressed tarballs in github instead of the source directly. This makes changes much less transparent because it is difficult to see what changed.
  • Your version of mhwd is still pulling directly from the Manjaro source and as a result, only works on EOS where there is overlap in package names. It is quite literally broken.
  • If your key is available in the keyservers, why is there a need for installing a keyring package? Installing a 3rd party keyring package into your system requires a strong degree of trust in the issuer. Unless I am missing something you are giving yourself the right to add keys to system whenever the package is updated.

Here is the output that shows mhwd is broken
[dalto@eos ~]$ mhwd-kernel -l
available kernels:
[dalto@eos ~]$ mhwd -l
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-390xx/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-418xx/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-418xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-440xx/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-435xx-prime/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-340xx/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-340xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-430xx/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-430xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-435xx/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
> 0000:00:0f.0 (0300:15ad:0405) Display controller VMware, Inc.:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  video-virtualmachine            2020.01.18                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

Until some of these issues are resolved, I would strongly recommend people think twice before adding this repo to their systems.

Hmm I thought there was some adaptation of those packages… simply taking Manjaro’s packages is not a good idea. On Manjaro you get a tonload of updates once a week or once every 10 days instead of the trickle-pace you get on EOS. This means there is always the possibility the Manjaro packages will not play nice with packages from EOS, since they are not in sync.

Personally I’d not use this repo. It’s one thing to add AUR packages to a repo and have them served the same way as official packages for convenience (not fumbling with AUR package managers), and another one to add foreign custom packages from other distros. Packages witch are distro-speciffic, instead of designed for general use.

Sorry @specialworld83, this repos simply does not look right to me. What I more strongly dislike is the name of the repo:

I’d reserve the EOS-repository for the official repository [if there’s ever going to be one] as a courtesy to the EOS devs and maintainers.

If I were to pick a name for my own custom repo I’d name it somewhat more creative like “Nate’s EOS Repo” or, if you really must, “Extreme-EOS-repo”, but not something that is exactly the name that the official repo would have.

The goal here is not the let anyone believe that this thing is officially sanctioned by EOS. Especially when there are some security and trust issues like @dalto mentioned. This proves good-faith and respect to the devs.

This being said, in the beginning I also felt the lack of an official Endeavour repo and missed it. Antergos had one and it was useful. However that also contributed to Antergo’s death. It takes time and commitment to properly and reliably maintain a repo.

Will that work? I would think you need pamac compiled as it is in Manjaro to support the plugin. Although, I have never actually tried it.

Alternatively, the AUR package pamac-aur has options that let you enable flatpak and/or snap support. Probably worth noting that pamac-aur-git does not offer this(although you could alter the PKGBUILD and add the flags for it).

peace and soul for your pc

1 Like

That’s what I’ve meant. I thought the packages were extra brewed for EOS consumption, not taken straight from Manjaro repo. I realised it’s not the case, so that’s bad.

I think they are customized with the exception of mhwd. I am guessing the settings manager was modified but finding the changes isn’t as easy as it could be because the source is added to github as a tarball.

As anyone can figure I’m a Manjaro fan, but I don’t think this is the right approach to bring some of their candy along to EOS. Open source is beautiful exactly because of the transparency and honesty it enforces.

1 Like

Changed the name of the repository, released the code that was inside the tar files.

[codelinsoft-eos-repository] 
SigLevel = PackageRequired
Server = https://repository.codelinsoft.it/eos-repository

Inside the folders the source code is also available, the fix for mhwd will be released shortly.

2 Likes

I have a question regarding mhwd.
I noticed it installs video drivers like video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime or video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-430xx-bumblebee. Any idea what those are? Are they custom drivers by Manjaro? Something else? Are those accessible to EOS?
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime for example is extremely convenient, especially for new touring cards which support the latest power management features, thus making optimus, bumblebee or anything similar almost obsolete. But I couldn’t find any equivalent for EOS.

Those are scripts called by mhwd. You can see what it is in them by looking on your system or in gitlab.

For example here is video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime

Keep in mind, that Manjaro and EOS/Arch have different packaging for drivers so the scripts need to be modified to support the correct packaging on EOS.

1 Like

intriguing, thanks!

1 Like

@dalto Fixed the problem of EOS settings manager and now use mhwd-garuda as suggested by dalto. Here is the report:

mhwd -l
0000:03:00.0 (0300:1002:15d8) Display controller ATI Technologies Inc:

video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
 video-modesetting            2017.03.12                true            PCI
        video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

0000:01:00.1 (0200:10ec:8168) Network controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.:

network-r8168            2020.05.22                true            PCI
1 Like

Nice, I will try it out in the next few hours.

1 Like

I didn’t test every feature but mhwd seems to working and looks sensible. Now that you unpacked the tarballs, we can see what was changed.

Now that you have a working mhwd-kernel, you might consider adding back the kernel management to eos-settings-manager

Thanks for being open to community feedback!

3 Likes

Before releasing the update I will have to make a change to the code to look for the kernels both from stable repos and from aur.

@dalto However thanks to your suggestion it now works without problems.

3 Likes

eos_settings_manager

Kernel function available in the EOS Settings Manager. Now search the kernels smoothly from the repository

3 Likes

just for your info
we use dkms drivers with mhwd-garuda

so to use r8168 driver
add
r8168-dkms
and
for the support of rtl8723de wifi driver
add
rtlwifi-new_extended-dkms

in your repo.

so they will work.
all other dkms drivers are in arch repo.

Thanks for the suggestion, I insert them immediately

1 Like