Unneccesary driver

Hello,

I installed Eos yesterday and noticed that a Broadcom wifi driver is installed using DKMS.
Why is that since I don’t have Broadcom?

Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter

It comes installed for those that have broadcom otherwise they wouldn’t be able to connect to wifi. You can uninstall it if you like. It is the dkms version as it provides a better all around solution for those with broadcom chips.

2 Likes

All right.
I am used to installing wifi drivers myself so this looked a bit strange, but it is a modified kernel.

I’ll get rid of it.

Thx.

What command you use to see if you need Broadcom driver?

Speaking of included drivers: i am 99% sure that Arch wiki says the two Intel wifi ones that are installed actually are included in the kernel now.

I’m sure here are lot’s of things included we may not need or use because we all have different hardware. :smirk:

1 Like

Hi all, this is an interesting topic!

So I ask all of you EndeavourOS users to run the following command:

lspci -k | grep -A9 " Network controller: " | grep -P "Network cont|Kernel driver"

and show your results here!

This will help us avoid installing unnecessary drivers.

2 Likes

Please note that I am not using my wifi card, and that driver anyway only is available in the AUR.

03:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
	Kernel driver in use: r8169
1 Like

My output here:

[rick@cinnamon-pc ~]$ lspci -k | grep -A9 " Network controller: " | grep -P "Network cont|Kernel driver"
06:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR5418 Wireless Network Adapter [AR5008E 802.11(a)bgn] (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
	Kernel driver in use: ath9k
[rick@cinnamon-pc ~]$ 

Edit: No extra’s!

1 Like

“Wireless” driver: ath9k
“Wired” driver: r8168 – my card also works with the r8169 driver.

EDIT:
Full output:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
        Subsystem: Dell RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
        Kernel modules: r8169
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Dell QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
        Kernel driver in use: ath9k
        Kernel modules: ath9k, wl
1 Like

@nohbody
Thanks for the info!

But actually it helps even more to show the full output of the command… Can you please add that too? :smile:

Thanks to all so far for the valuable and helpful info! :smile:

Anyone using the Broadcom driver? I know some of you have it…

I have it on my other computer. The WiFi card a TP-Link brand Archer T9E AC1900 Dual Band IEEE802.11 ac

@ricklinux

So… could you please show the output from that machine? :wink:

Thanks for the output! :smile:

[mike@SPY ~]$ lspci -k | grep -A9 " Network controller: " | grep -P "Network cont|Kernel driver"
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev 73)
	Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
[mike@SPY ~]$ 

1 Like

Based on this information, I’m planning on releasing a little surprise for you that I believe you’ll all welcome! :wink:

3 Likes

@Lemon
Welcome! :smile:

And thanks for bringing this topic up. I believe it will help many users in the near (and far) future.

My Broadcom:

[rick@xfce-pc ~]$ lspci -k | grep -A9 " Network controller: " | grep -P "Network cont|Kernel driver"
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 03)
	Kernel driver in use: wl
[rick@xfce-pc ~]$

Edit: This is broadcom-wl-dkms

I think i know what it is! :wink: :wink: