Unfettered Freedom - A New Linux News Podcast

I agree. Video bloggers who rant are helping themselves rather than others. I assume that they believe, or are led to believe, that their opinions are important to other people. That may be true, but does not apply to me. For me, videos have to offer useful pointers to working with Linux.

2 Likes

Distrotube does some good tutorials on linux, but this particular topic is more a bit of a rant. On one recent video he was advocating that everyone should have a gun. I don’t think so!

you can use mplayer + youtube-dl to play them without downloading like this:

youtube-dl -q -o- https://www.youtube.com/watch\?v\=46DnZQJIDy0 | mplayer -cache 8192  -
5 Likes

DT really doesn’t want people to steal his dotfiles
(c) YouTube comment

:rofl:

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as guns,
is in fact, GNU/guns, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus guns

That’s best thing happened to youtube for ages :joy:

guns are bloated use knife insted

Jeez!! :rofl:

4 Likes

DistroTube has some nice ontopic videos, but lately the content has become more ideological.

Building a social video channel on OSS is hard and difficult. But that’s the same reason why everybody else scratches their particular itch with non-free solutions. So … preaching to others not to use Google and Co. on Youtube feels a little bit hypocritical. Not my cup of tea.

Imho.

This is a common criticism he has addressed many times.

If you think about it, it makes perfect sense to preach to others not to use Google on YouTube. Doing so at a place where nobody is a Google user is just preaching to the choir. It’s not hypocritical, it’s strategical.

Of course, you are entitled to your humble opinion.

That’s a good point, but it feels hollow, if you don’t promote alternatives. Is there a way to watch his channel on an OSS platform?

2 Likes

Of course. DT uploads all of his videos to LBRY and he always tells people to go there to watch his videos.

You can also use odysee, which is a web interface to LBRY.

1 Like

With that i agree, this days using / promoting alternative / FOSS platforms is a must, which he do btw :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Never heard of Odysee! I’ll have a look. :+1:

Here is the RSS feed link if you want to plug it into gPodder’s search and add it to gPodder.