Unable to launch CS GO

It was, in my 1st answer :rofl:

1 Like

I just tried it right now, and unfortunately it doesn’t work, maybe I did something wrong.

I installed this for my Nvidia GTX 1050 ti:

sudo pacman -S nvidia nvidia-settings nvidia-utils lib32-nvidia-utils lib32-opencl-nvidia opencl-nvidia libvdpau libxnvctrl vulkan-icd-loader lib32-vulkan-icd-loader

Rebooted, update, and the CSGO black screen still appears.

I’ve tried removing all launch options, but that doesn’t work either. I don’t really know why it only works for my CSGO on Ubuntu. It doesn’t work for me on Fedora, neither on my new EOS KDE.

I think it’s weird since CSGO is the most famous game on Steam, and it’s also Linux Native.

Hello everyone and keybreak. I’ve tried your answer (before the screenshot, I swear! :stuck_out_tongue: ) and I saw in terminal I was missing 2 things, a “glu” one and “vdpu” one. Everything else was pre installed. It reinstalled, I ran Syu, rebooted. Still no dice. I’m unable to even launch the game.
Play > loads sync > says “stop” and goes back to “play”.

My rig is R5 2600, 16GB of RAM and RX 580 GPU.
I have read the “Steam, Lutris, Wine” guide, Gaming#101 guide on Discovery’s main page under the gaming sub-category, and took a look at one of the pinned posts in Gaming category here on the forums (the gaming guide). My GPU does support Vulkan, and I have installed Steam (runtime) package as stated on the Arch wiki (vs the native runtime) as well as vulkan-radeon (vs amdvlk) drivers and everything else mesa related including lib32 stuff. I also -Q pacman with each of the “main things” stated in the guides to double check I actually had the packages.

Everything seems to be there but game just tells me no. At first I thought it was because it was originally installed on the HDD (formatted NTFS, I had Windows 2 days ago), so I deleted and reinstalled again (downloaded all again) on the main SSD (library under /home). Still the same behavior.
Have also tried with both no option checked on the game-specific compatibility part and option checked, which I selected latest Proton stable and also tried “Linux Runtime” option. Everything has the same result, no launch at all. (I also tried some launch options as stated in protondb).

This is as far as my poor knowledge and research skills can go. Would love to be able to solve this. I need that box drop! :laughing:

Hello everyone, this is a follow up to the issue. While I waited someone to reply here (didn’t want to create yet another thread) I decided to diversify the places where we could get help.
This is the post on LTT forum.

As you can see, in the 2nd page of replies, I’ve answered to have found a GitHub post where someone else (since 2020 and 14 hours ago) had the same issue. I’m going to try to search for a solution but this is clearly a silly bug that has been around for a while now (or maybe not a bug but unintended behavior for something not so clear)

LMAO your comment legit made me laugh out loud

I managed to “fix” this for 1 week, activating the compatibility mode in the steam settings, now, it has broken again and I have not been able to play CSGO again, the black screen appears, and it closes.

Have you managed to fix it somehow? My thread was automatically closed because I thought it was fixed for good.

I can only play on Ubuntu, no other distro makes CSGO work for me. At first I thought that Steam didn’t fix this because they were going to wait for CS2 to be released in 2023, but this problem has been going on since 2020, so I don’t think that’s it.

I’ll probably get the black screen too when CS2 is released soon.

I honestly believe that this does not have a specific solution, I think I have tried everything. It doesn’t make sense that it works on Ubuntu, but not on other distributions, apart from the contract between Nvidia and Canonical, which I don’t know what they actually signed regarding the Nvidia drivers.

EDIT:

I’m sorry, I read your link and I saw that you don’t have the black screen problem, I’m so sorry!

Don’t worry, I commented on this thread and realized later on my issue was different :sweat_smile:

I hope you can solve your issue soon. Have you tried doing it through Flatpak as user mbod suggested? Sadly, that did the trick for me and since then I have played with little few issues different stuff. ScourgeBringer, Cuphead, Ready or Not, etc.

I recommend you uninstall Steam from the system, reboot (to be sure even if it’s not needed), but make sure you don’t delete the games (unless your internet is fast and you don’t mind redownloading). Get Steam from Flatpak, also get Flatseal in case you have more than 1 drive or use a different drive as storage for Game library. Flatseal allows you to set custom paths for permissions.

Example:
Let’s say you have 2 drives. Drive 1 is your OS. Drive 2 is your storage and use it for games. You have to go to flatseal and put the path of the drive/folder. Image below:

As you can see, my drive is on /mnt/ and it’s called WDHDD since it’s a Western Digital Hard Drive lol. The steam folder I created for Steam on Flatpak is SteamFLTPK.

It’s not the greatest solution and it would be great if we could just install Steam and play, but it’s certainly a quick solution if it works.

1 Like

The fix I found was highlighted here, turns out the solution is to rename the /csgo/panorama/videos folder to videos.bak, it allowed me to launch the game with the only issue being the lack of backgrounds on the main menu and some missing effects on the main menu

1 Like