Unable to Access NAS drive

Hi All, I am running Endeavour on an Acer Aspire 5349 laptop and am having problems accessing my NAS drive. This is my second install now.

When I boot using the live iso on usb I can access the the files on the drive no problem by going into Thunar, clicking on ‘Browse Network’ followed by ‘Windows Network’ then Workgroup and then the name of my NAS, VENUS, followed by the share

So I installed the system onto my HD and before I carried out the post installation updates I checked that I could still access the files, which I could.

I then carried out the updates. Once finished I checked again and I could still access the files. So I installed a few programs, Libreoffice, kmymoney, simple-scan, Skype and Evolution.

Then i turned the laptop off. I have now turned it back on and when I try to access the NAS i get the following error in Thunar, ‘Failed to mount Windows share: Software caused connection abort’.

I then turned to the cli and ran smbclient with smbclient -L VENUS and i get the following:

Unable to initialize messaging context
smbclient: Can’t load /etc/samba/smb.conf - run testparm to debug it
directory_create_or_exist: mkdir failed on directory /var/cache/samba: Permission denied
directory_create_or_exist: mkdir failed on directory /var/cache/samba: Permission denied
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED

How do I try to run testparm i get:
bash: testparm: command not found.

any help appreciated.

Rgds

Dave Le Huray

It is probably this:

My Bad :unamused: my bad bad :unamused: :unamused:

I had seen this already but had skimmed over it.

my next question is how do I downgrade to a package thats not shown in /var/cache/pacman/pkg ?

I’ve tried with smbclient and have got the following results:

dave@laptop ~]$ sudo pacman -U smbclient
[sudo] password for dave:
loading packages…
error: ‘smbclient’: could not find or read package

[dave@laptop ~]$ sudo pacman -U smbclient-4.10.10-1
loading packages…
error: ‘smbclient-4.10.10-1’: could not find or read package

[dave@laptop ~]$ sudo pacman -U smbclient-4.10.10-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
loading packages…
error: ‘smbclient-4.10.10-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst’: could not find or read package

Rgds
Dave Le H

pacman -U takes a full path to a file or a URL.

If you don’t have a copy of the old package in your cache, you have two choices.

• You can grab it directly from the arch linux archive(ala) with pacman -U, like this:
    • sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/s/samba/samba-4.10.10-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
  • You can install downgrade and then type sudo downgrade samba. It will then give you a list of versions available on your machine and in the ala to choose from.

Please note, I linked you directly to a version of samba above but you can also open https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/s/samba in a browser and pick any version you like.

EDIT: Oops, I see you are trying to downgrade smbclient, not samba. It all works the exact same way.

EDIT2: I see you were trying to switch to 4.10.10 so I updated the links.

Just use downgrade tool here. It will be simpler.

1 Like

Thanks for all the help. I didnt know that the downgrade tool existed, so thats helpful. I downgraded the relevant apps and then entered them into the ignorepkg command in pacman.conf but i must have done something wrong because all that happened is when i tried to access the share from within thunar there was a delay before getting an error message saying ‘timout delay - unable to access / on .’

So in the end i went back to the beginning, reinstalled from the liveiso, then checked i could access the nas, then filled in the ignorepkg command in pacman.conf, then carried out the post install updates.

Once these had completed and I was confident that I could access the nas after a reboot, I installed the small amount of software that I needed. Now everything is working fine so thanks again.

Rgds

Dave