Today I learned

Today I learned, that I only know that I know nothing … and thanks to my curiosity and that of my son, in due course, today I can turn on a machine and be able to communicate with you, which for me is no small thing and I am very grateful for that.
:wink:

7 Likes

That if you want to control what runs in the DE per session autostart (eg I want Plank to only run in Cinnamon) then I need to control the way that the autostart .desktop file is written like this:
~/.config/autostart/plank.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Plank
GenericName=Dock
Categories=Utility;
Type=Application
Exec=plank
Icon=plank
Terminal=false
NoDisplay=false
NotShowIn=KDE
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
Hidden=false
Name[en_NZ]=Plank
Comment[en_NZ]=Stupidly simple.
X-GNOME-Autostart-Delay=0

See the line NotShowIn=KDE ?
Tha line and OnlyShowIn are optional, and they control how the desktop entry is run according to the environment. More details here:
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html#recognized-keys and they are seperated by semicolons.
Which then raised the question of how/what values are acceptable for that? According to the docs these come from the .desktop files in /usr/share/xsessions, eg:

cat /usr/share/xsessions/plasma.desktop 
[Desktop Entry]
Type=XSession
Exec=/usr/bin/startplasma-x11
TryExec=/usr/bin/startplasma-x11
DesktopNames=KDE
Name=Plasma (X11)
Name[ast]=Plasma (X11)
Name[az]=Plasma (X11)
Name[ca]=Plasma (X11)
Name[cs]=Plasma (X11) ... snipped ...

That DesktopNames line above names the DE so that the autostart handler knows what the DE is called.
Interestingly, Cinnamon doesn’t behave itself in this manner, and doesn’t handover the DesktopNames value. Just something to be aware of if you are trying to work with this.

4 Likes

Today I learned that turkeys love and can eat plums. Don’t ask how I know this

3 Likes

Today i learned EndeavourOS is even more awesome than yesterday! :laughing:

1 Like

Last night I learned that the PFsense / Opnsense firewalls are about as friendly as a punch in the face. :facepunch:

1 Like

And did you know that ZZ (no colon ) in Normal mode does the same thing?

Today I learnt about the findmnt command. Thanks @keybreak, the guy who actually RTFMs :rofl:

One use for it is to check that everything is okay, when making changes to your fstab file:

sudo findmnt --verify --verbose

before rebooting and spending the whole afternoon trying to find that blasted usb key with the live ISO…

2 Likes

And i’ve learned there is findmnt thx to @pebcak and reading man mount for -a option :upside_down_face:

@Kresimir is sudo really needed though?

2 Likes

Yes.

Well, strictly speaking, no. But you get more info with it.

1 Like

:innocent:

5 Likes

An english word twaddle :laughing:
Learning with frogs :frog:

1 Like

Twaddle is somewhere between balderdash and poppycock.

1 Like

Well, now i’ve added 2 more words to that.
I especially like poppy cock, wonder how that word came about back in a day… :rofl:

Plainly it’s just “nonsense”

Edit: Same as poppy cock.

Edit2: In slang it means silly idle talk

1 Like
3 Likes

I have not heard anyone use the word twaddle in a long time. Poppycock is more in my memory although i don’t recall having heard it also in a very long time. :thinking:

I would have said that twaddle was more in use across the pond - and poppycock was more in use by a generation before ours! That means it’s REALLY out of date…

By Jove, what a load of balderdash!

3 Likes

I haven’t heard the one in a long time either. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’m n ot sure (wasn’t around!) but I think that died off in the PREVIOUS '20s…