Thinking about installing EOS on a RPi4

Hello folks.
Got a “bad” RPi4 from work, it was just the damaged bootloader on the EEPROM which I fixed and have the RPi4 8GB waiting for a purpose.

Now, I want to take the opportunity and install EOS, learn how to properly do it on a SBC.
And maybe somehow avoid powering on my main machine, and using the RPi4 for trivial tasks.

I read some tutorials here, but there are grey areas still, at least for me (as time being).
Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance!

What are the gray areas for you? Where are you stuck at your installation attempt?

I know only about the problem with USB and x64 kernel when you want to install the system to a flash drive. But I think that was already fixed a few months ago.

Just a hint: I also installed arch linux arm on my RPi3B+ a few day ago according to this guide - follow it to the letter and it should work. The tricky part is setting up wifi before first boot (I use it as headless server) but I can help with that.
It is very minimal compared to endeavouros which has gui desktop environment but the installation steps are very clear. I have not yet looked at endeavouros installation because I do not have a spare set of monitor and keyboard for it.

Also, would this help?

1 Like

There is an arm install button on the ISO, you can use it to install :enos: arm on the storage device of your choice i.e micro SD or USB.

The easiest way to install EndeavourOS on a Arm device is as follows:
Go to this website and download the EndeavourOS_Artemis_nova_22_9.iso
https://endeavouros.com/latest-release/
scroll down to the list of mirrors and choose one close to you.

This is the x86_64 liveISO that contains the Calamares installer. Burn this ISO to a USB thumb drive.

On a x86_64 Arch Linux based computer, boot into the liveISO using F11 or whatever your system requires.

Connect a USB SSD storage device, or a uSD card in a uSD/SD to USB converter.

At the welcome screen. Click on the “EndeavourOS ARM Image Installer” button.
Read the info in the next window, then click on the “Start ARM Installer” button.

If you run into problems, feel free to ask here.

Pudge

EDIT:
Changed the version number of the liveISO. :pray: @sradjoker

We have EndeavourOS_Artemis_nova_22_9.iso now :wink:

1 Like

Let us see.
Booted my computer with a USB with EOS. Also plugged the microSD card where i wanted the EOS ARM installed.
Started the installer, choose the ARM installer. Then, proceeded with RPI4-64, and from the storage devices presented, I picked the microSD, which in my case was /dev/sdd.
Then the script started, downloaded the image, unzipped it and the installer finished without any errors.
Well, safely ejected the microSD card, plugged into the RPI4 and…failed to boot.
botcher bootloader on the RPI? Let’ s see.
Hmmm… Used the oficial Raspberry Imager and installed with it Manjaro ARM and booted perfectly.
Now, what I did wrong here, besides booting Manjaro?

Let me do a test install to see if anything is going wrong.
I don’t think you did anything wrong. If possible from the live ISO paste the output of the script into a pastebin and share.

Should the embedded bootloader impact the EOS booting process?
Do I have to update it? Manjaro doesn’t seen to care, booted just fine.

I’m not sure. @Pudge might have a better idea.

I have a normal Raspberry Pi 4b. it is booting for me.
Let me release refreshed images after a short time and then you can try again to see if it solves your issue

1 Like

Thanks for quick reaponse. Let’s try tomorrow with fresh forces.
Ty

If you are referring to the EEPROM boot loader, it shouldn’t matter with a uSD card, but must be the latest version for USB SSD.

Since you have Manjaro working, you can check the version of the EEPROM bootloader with
You may have to install this package “rpi-eeprom” and hopefully Manjaro will have it.

sudo rpi-eeprom-update
*** UPDATE AVAILABLE ***
BOOTLOADER: update available
   CURRENT: Tue Jan 25 02:30:41 PM UTC 2022 (1643121041)
    LATEST: Tue Apr 26 10:24:28 AM UTC 2022 (1650968668)
   RELEASE: critical (/lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/critical)

VL805_FW: Using bootloader EEPROM
     VL805: up to date
   CURRENT: 000138a1
    LATEST: 000138a1

Surprisingly, I have an update on the BOOTLOADER.
I believe the section VL805 has something to do with the onboard USB chips?

To update the EEPROM bootloader

sudo rpi-eeprom-update -a
*** INSTALLING EEPROM UPDATES ***

BOOTLOADER: update available
    LATEST: Tue Apr 26 10:24:28 AM UTC 2022 (1650968668)
   RELEASE: critical (/lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/critical)

VL805_FW: Using bootloader EEPROM
     VL805: up to date
   CURRENT: 000138a1
    LATEST: 000138a1
    UPDATE: Tue Apr 26 10:24:28 AM UTC 2022 (1650968668)
    BOOTFS: /boot
Using recovery.bin for EEPROM update

EEPROM updates pending. Please reboot to apply the update.
To cancel a pending update run "sudo rpi-eeprom-update -r".

REBOOT to apply update
Now I have the latest EEPROM bootloader

Pudge

EDIT:
My RPi 4b 8 GB RAM device is updated.
Now I have two RPi 4b 4 GB RAM devices and a RPi 400 to update.

1 Like

@sradjoker released a new image. I then tested the new image reconstructing your situation as much as possible.

RPi 4b 8GB with EEPROM boot loader as follows:

Tue Apr 26 10:24:28 AM UTC 2022 (1650968668)

downloaded the latest live ISO EndeavourOS_Artemis_nova_22_9.iso and burned it to a USB Thumb drive. Booted a x86_64 computer from the USB Thumb drive.
Started the EndeavourOS ARM installer and installed to a Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series 256 GB SSD in a USB 3 enclosure.

Everything worked perfectly, and I am now entering this on a freshly installed Gnome DE.

Pudge

1 Like

I am familiar with RPI4 bootloader updating. Thanks for pointing this out.

Can you provider a link to the never ISO?

I have the latest RPI4 8Gb EERPROM bootloader ver.1650968668 installed.

Edit: Downloaded and installed raspi-config and configured to have the latest bootloader.
Now, the same installer which I previously used simply exits after donwloading the installer script.
What gives?

You have to follow the same steps. The script automatically downloads the latest arm image.