The world's First repairable laptop buying guide

I’ve recently stumbled across the blog post on the computer tech Reddit community. While it is quite short (seeing this is just a one man blog), I thought it would be ok to share this info with all you people.

5 Likes

It’s fairly rudimentary at the moment, but I really hope this takes off. We need informed consoomers.

6 Likes

By the way, I came across this modular laptop, a few moments ago. Looks interesting, It is going to get released in summer, though its specs & construction conclude that it is not going to be cheap.

3 Likes

I found that article two hours ago, and sent links to a few people I know,
and sure looks like will be expensive, but, other laptops are just as expensive and are neither modular nor repairable.

Hope it is not to hard to get linux running on it.

laters

Interesting idea to make expansion modules connected through USB type-C, pretty friendly :upside_down_face:

1 Like

For those of you who love to tinker, we’ve also created the Framework Laptop DIY Edition, the only high-end notebook available as a kit of modules that you can customize and assemble yourself, with the ability to choose Windows or install your favorite Linux distribution.

Probably not hard :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

:grinning: well yeah, in concept, but in practice, it is not so easy find wardware that plays nice with arch or debian, we’ll wait and see.

Laters

I rebuilt ThinkPads for resale on eBay for years, so I “tend” to be a bit “biased”…I do have to admit after rebuilding lots of different laptops, I prefer any model of ThinkPad.

2 Likes

How about Latitudes? In fact I am still using a 2010 Latitude E6500 & loving it!!!

Yeah. Buisness laptops, Lattitudes, Thi kpads, Eltiebooks etc are really great.

1 Like

May they prosper!
:deciduous_tree:

Very interesting and very good for do-it-yourselfers!

I’m sure this is going to end up with a lot of downsides, but I’m kinda geeking out right now.