The right mindset for growing as a Linux user

3 Likes

And for those of a “curious” or inquisitive mindset, Linux certainly encourages learning. It’s a whole journey within itself :grin:

1 Like

I guess Derek is running out of ideas for worthwile videos and comes up now with aggravating clickbaity shtuff. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Guess what, I am curious, I am open for experimentation, I even distrohopped for a short while. But at some point in time one should have found ones optimal base/DE/WM combo and settle down. Because not everybody on Linux is into computer science in the first place. :girl:

I’m on Linux coz of Microsoft and Windows and wanted something else, something better. Something un-American. I’ve found it in Archbased distros with slightly modified Mate desktop. Now I’m happy and only rarely install new distros on my test PCs anymore.

Because, believe it or not, like most people I’ve got stuff to do on my PC. And when a distro gives me problems - in 2021! - I walk away and try the next. :expressionless: He’s right, I’m not looking for a challenge, I’m looking for a nice and easy workhorse distro. So on my main machine I’m on basically the same setup since 2014: Manjaro-> Namib-> Archman-> Endeavour-> Manjaro + Mate DE. It’s perfect for me. And I won’t let Derek tell me, or anyone else, that I don’t have the right mindset, that I’m not worthy of running Linux. What does he want, all housewives going back to Windows or, better, Apple? Not gonna happen! :angry:

9 Likes

Yeah, it seems that DT is running out of things to talk about.

There is so much stuff on which I could disagree with this video, but I just can’t be bothered :yawning_face:

4 Likes

If you look into biology on this planet it would seem that within any species there exists what is known as a “dominant 5% minority”. What this means is that 95% of that species is there to provide stability and to reproduce in order to ensure the continuation of that species. The other 5% involves the genetic mutation of that species to adapt and evolve. Without the ability to evolve and change a species becomes stagnant and ultimately becomes unable to deal with the changing universe. The result: that species becomes extinct. Adapt or die. However without the 95% of stability we would be useless. Each has it’s part to play. We are all necessary. It would seem that ego and the desire for power and control are the things that hold us back from real harmony and understanding. :heart:

4 Likes

I have to confess that I feel almost insulted when I listen to this video. I’d like to think that I’m a reasonably flexible software developer who has had to rise to many challenges, including MFC and C# programming. :slight_smile: (I’ve pretty much had to reinvent myself every 3-5 years as my employer has moved me from project to project. I’ve been with them for 22 years now, so I must be doing something right.) That said, I’m also not a person to take on challenges casually.

It’s only been in the past few months that I finally moved from being primarily an Ubuntu (or derived) user to being a user of Arch-derived systems. Similarly, it’s not been all that long since I moved from mostly using Mate to mostly using Gnome as my DE. (FWIW, my first Linux exposure was SLS back in '92 or '93 on a 386sx; my first Ubuntu exposure was 4.10 “Warty Warthog”, naked people and all.) For some reason, this video makes me feel like I’m supposed to be a bad person for that.

Yeah, it’s a bit “us and them”. Everyone has the capability within them to express themselves and push themselves beyond their boundaries and explore new things. I think it’s up to us to awaken ourselves to new possibilities. Sometimes people seem to be asleep to that. All they need is a gentle push to realise that potential. Perhaps some are more inclined than others but ultimately we all have that potential within us. If we don’t recognize it ourselves we can take inspiration from others also, it’s just a way of starting.

I can’t be bothered to talk about this either. :yawning_face: I don’t find any value in this rant. People will do what they want to do and if they don’t they won’t. No one is going to convince anyone to do what you think. People make their own choices about the depth they are willing to go and the time they are willing to invest in something. Their choice. I have no business telling them what they should or should not be doing based on what i think.

3 Likes

Yep, the choices we make. A “choice” comment! :laughing:

DT isn’t the only Linux YouTuber who appears to be running out of ideas. I have come across two or three who used to make interesting videos. Their content has dried up. IMHO, this is because they make too many videos for YouTube, almost one per day. I assume that this is an income stream for them, but it must be hard to keep finding useful things to offer. I have some sympathy with them and hope they get their mojos back.

4 Likes

Have never watched his stuff before. Being my first video of his, gotta say the only thing I got out if it was “GOD, WHAT A FLAMING A-HOLE THIS COMPLETE D*** NOZZLE IS”. Will be sure to avoid him in the future, as well. Definitely disagree with him, and disagree with how he speaks down about people just because they want to live instead of constantly pushing themselves to do more and more and end up burnt out and hateful of everything.

3 Likes

I thought it was just going to say:

1. Minimum border line alcoholic to full blown alcoholic.

2. Enjoys problem solving whilst drinking.

3. Likes to argue on the internet.

3 Likes

Some Linux video content creators (not only YT, but also and esp. on alternative platforms - don’t want to name names) have clearly jumped the shark.

They have to create content. They have to have engagement. And there’s a small but very loyal audience on the fringe. Demand seems to drive supply.

I stopped watching prominent Linux video producers of past fame because controversial political and social topics became the main talking point of the channel.

1 Like

For real. If there’s was like a Linux, freedom and firearms show, I’d be on that like a fat kid on cake. That would be awesome!!

3 Likes

–deleted by the author–

Why was this flagged?? I haven’t seen it yet but why would a Linux podcast get flagged?? It couldn’t possibly have offended someone and if it did I’d be ashamed to have been offended by something not offensive.

3 Likes

It is a dumpster fire waiting to happen :wink:

4 Likes

I mean, imo distrotube is in general. But someone found possibly the only worthwhile show he’s ever done and it immediately gets flagged.

Ugh. It’s disappointing.

2 Likes

I guess it’s just logical: The whole Linux infrastructure has reached a very high degree of maturity and usability, most of the individual distros getting better by just going with the flow. If you wanna be the cream that rises to the top, all you gotta do is using the Calamares installer, offer every desktop and WM under the sun and base your distro on either Arch or Debian. Voila, almost guaranteed top hit on DistroWatch. :slight_smile: Of course the geeks are bored and running out of material since there is not much to talk and rant about anymore.

1 Like

:roll_eyes: :unamused: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :thinking: :rage: :angry:

2 Likes