Testing Plasma 6 (Beta) on Endeavour OS - is this approach any good?

Cool. Interesting.

Please let us know how this works out.

1 Like

Not many plasmoids have been ported to Plasma6 yet.

I am pretty sure that Plasma5 plasmoids are not compatible with Plasma6. So this solution seems to make the most sense to me

Of course. That’s why we’re here. To exchange ideas :wink:

This one perhaps?

Edit: thanks to @swh

1 Like

Yes, that was the one I was running…

Thanks for keeping us informed about what’s happening with the bugs you reported.

Good to see that many have been resolved.

1 Like

No problem, I will continue to update my original post as things progress.

1 Like

I just installed KDENeon-unstable with Plasma6.1 in a qemu. I had a look around in the settings. Slightly different to Plasma5, but it’s probably just a matter of getting used to it. There really aren’t too many Plasmoids based on Plasma 6. However, apart from that it makes a good impression. But I’m probably the wrong person to test it properly.

Pitty edits don’t result in notifications.

Years ago I tried Neon - liked it.

For those who don’t know about Neon:

KDE neon [has] a stable Ubuntu long-term release as its core, packaging the hottest software fresh from the KDE Community ovens.
[…]

You should use KDE neon if you want the latest and greatest from the KDE community but the safety and stability of a Long Term Support release.

I suppose their offer is (almost?) the same as EOS KDE with LTS kernel.

1 Like

Its 6.5.0-15.generic kernel.
I have only installed the KDENeon unstable iso. No additional kernel, just the complete Plasma standard package

nope, Ubuntu LTS also has older mesa/llvm/gcc and lots of other “outdated” stuff. The kernel is only a small part of the whole system.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification.

To my (our?) surprise some distros may not move to Plasma 6 for a bit…re: Kubuntu 24.04 LTS Won’t Use KDE Plasma 6.0.
Do you see (with our general lack of issues overall) this being necessary? Just wondering about others thoughts as we head toward the gate.

they and many other fixed release distributions usually pick the first Plasma LTS release - they did the same with the switch from Plasma 4 to 5. The first Plasma 6 LTS release is still far in the future.

I didn’t know that. Thanks! I think I didn’t even realize that Plasma came in LTS and non-LTS versions.

1 Like

I think I had been exposed to that…once…but it had totally slipped my mind.
Hah, I think I’d rather bleed (bleeding edge).

This bug has been resolved. :+1:

1 Like

No, it’s not:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=480594

7 Likes

After some triage and some debate over at kde-bugs-headquarters, a previous change will be reverted to resolve this bug for which a merge request was started:

2 Likes