Terminal Pasting Issues (Solved)

Hello, I know it has been a long time since I have posted here but I have not had anything I could not fix until now. Lol
My issue is when I past anything to a terminal it is pasted 2 times. Does not matter if I am in bash or zsh. Does not matter where I get the info, webpage, a text file, http link, it all repetes 2 times. like this.

[2022-07-02T11:43:49-0400][2022-07-02T11:43:49-0400]
EndeavourOS Terminology EndeavourOS Terminology 

When I ctrl+shift+v, it clears whatever is typed in terminal like “sudo” and double pastes the copied text like this Forum url.

https://forum.endeavouros.com/https://forum.endeavouros.com/ 

I have 3 EndeavourOS installs that are doing the same thing. I have one system that has a Arch install from there new install script and another system that was installed with the EzArcher project and neither of them has this issue. Pasting in the terminal works as it should in those two installs. Just now the EndeavourOS installs.
The EndeavourOS install are the Cinnamon Editions and were installed on,
[2022-07-02] & [2022-09-21] & [2022-11-13]…
This has been going on for 2 months and I have no clue!
They all started at the same time too.
Does not matter if I am in Cinnamon, LeftWm, SpectrWm they all do it. I have the stock terminal, terminator, tilix, sakura, alacrity and they all do it. So it has to be a Endeavour thing. (guessing)
All the systems have all the same software, WM’s and DE installed. There basically all clones… Lol
They all have different functions. One is a media player, one is a my general computer, the last one is used for editing video and graphics for my YTube stuff. It is getting to be a pain in the terminal… :frowning_face:

Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

LLAP :vulcan_salute:

Same behaviour in multiple terminal emulators, with multiple shells? How to even begin troubleshooting something like that, I have no idea…

does middle mouse paste work correctly?

Some guesses about the reason:

• hardware issue (mouse, keyboard?)
  • software issue (mouse, keyboard?)

What happens if you test another user account?
Does the same happen in a VM?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I use a old wireless logitech marble trackball (4). I don’t use the middle click as a rule but yes it does the same thing, doubles the past. All 3 of my keyboards are IBM model M keyboards with PS/2 to USB Soarer’s Converter Adapter I got 5 months ago. I have 2, TesMart 2 port keyboard switchers. Note: I have had all this equipment for years except for the PS/2 to USB Soarer’s Converter Adapter…
Have not changed a thing… Lol

Does not do it in a web browser either…

Thanks for the reply. I use a old wireless logitech marble trackball (4).
All 3 of my keyboards are IBM model M keyboards with PS/2 to USB Soarer’s Converter Adapter I got 5 months ago. I have 2, TesMart 2 port keyboard switchers. Note: I have had all this equipment for years except for the PS/2 to USB Soarer’s Converter Adapter…
Have not changed a thing… Lol
No it does not happen in Virt Manager or Virtualbox.
I had to add a user as I’m the only one. No the second user does not have this issue.

Hahaha… Me either, that’s why I’m here… :roll_eyes:

could be there is such setting somehow? double click feature… for keyboard settings…

Don’t think so. I do 90% of my stuff in the terminal as I use window managers and a lot of copy/paste in the terminal when writing scripts. To be fair, it happens in the Cinnamon desktop too…
I did a update one day and it started. I did not change anything.
Thanks for the reply btw…

I thought it was shift + ctrl + c and shift + ctrl + v :thinking:

Edit: Nope… :crazy_face:

Edit2: I’m so used to using the mouse to copy and paste with clicks. I never do this much. :astonished:

1 Like

Hahaha… Your still a funny guy I remember on the HDMI sound issue you helped me with… My dyslexia works in my fingers too… Lol
ctrl + shift + v or shift + ctrl + v, is it not the same key press? :smile:

1 Like

It’s just feeble thinking on my part! :laughing:

Hahaha. Ya need to embrace the wild side once in a while. :crazy_face:

That seems to indicate some settings or package on your DE (which?) is not working…

Well… I use EndeavourOS Cinnamon edition with LeftWm, SpectrWm and Dwm, does it in all of them. An all 3 computers are the same, software, window managers, settings, scripts, just all the same. The other 2 Arch computers are same, just Arch install script. There ok.
I have went through every setting and I just don’t see it.
I keep thinking a buffer thing but I don’t know how to check that! Keyboard buffer, it does it in 2 shells and 5 terminals which includes the stock on that comes with the OS.
Could it be a Cinnamon thing? I use Cinnamon on everything as a base install. Why is it not doing it on the the 2 Arch installs, just the Endeavour ones…
I’m at a loss here… :slightly_frowning_face:
You know when you type “sudo” and paste a command after that, it wipes out the “sudo” with whatever text your pasting. Then you have to backspace the 2nd pasted text and go to the start and add the “sudo” again or whatever command like git clone or whatever…

The terminal interpreter or clipboard seem to do some wrong things.
Have you tried other terminals? Don’t now remember what is used in Cinnnamon, but there are many to choose from.
For example:

• terminator (python based, I use that very much)
  • konsole (from KDE)
  • xfce4-terminal
  • gnome-terminal

and more.

Does it only happen in terminal? Does it happen in other apps like browser, office, editor, etc? Does ctl+z remove the second instance? Does Shift+Insert work?

Yes only in the terminal. All other apps are fine. Sublime, office, browser, all the text editors like nano, micro. No ctl+z does not remove the second instance.
Yes Shift+Insert works.
I have the stock terminal, terminator, tilix, sakura, alacrity and they all do it.

I have installed,

• stock terminal
  • terminator
  • tilix
  • sakura
  • alacrity
    and they all do it. I keep thinking a buffer but just don’t know…
    I don’t know what Cinnamons uses. I think it is a gnome-terminal of some kind.

Well, it works in a VM but not on the current installation(s).

Even though it would be interesting to get to the actual cause by simply reasoning, I’d suggest reinstalling EndeavourOS to one of the failing machines and maybe compare if there are any obvious differences.
And while reinstalling and adding your favorite apps, make sure to test if any of the installed additional apps/libs/extensions/settings cause the problem.