Taste Of Tradition

Didn’t count, but I recognize a good number of North Indian ones. And sweets from all over the country (yes I like sweet things :grin: )

The usual selection of South Indian dishes - I’ve eaten. Plus some from North East when I used to visit it. Haven’t eaten home made dishes in Rajasthan, but we did splurge on a large platter of traditional dishes when we visited it. (There were at least a twenty different items !)

Frankly speaking, I’ve visited half the states already, so I have eaten a lot!

2 Likes

I hope to one day make it out that way. Closest I have been to India is 2 countries over in Afghanistan and 3 countries over in Kyrgyzstan.

2 Likes

Same here. I eat sweets with even namkeen dishes. Also, I mix jaggery with daal-chaawal while eating to give it sweety essence.
Fact: In home, I am considered as synonymous name to sweets. :yum:

For me, every dishes I eat are homemade, be it in the home or out of the home.

With exception of Northeast, I had tried dishes from the rest, due to local community here( neighborhood ) has lots of variations.

How do you find regional people to offer you homemade food when in a different state? Unless you’ve got relatives all over the country.

1 Like

Method 1: Eat dishes which are made in home.
Method 2 : Neighbors sometimes distribute foods on special occasions.
Method 3 : My college friend( from Punjab ) had offered me his regional dish during break at science exhibition.
Method 4 : Travel to different state. In my case, to reach my village, I need to cross 6 states with 7th state being my village.
:grin:

This is very first time I had written so comprehensive after school days, outside the science.
Thank You :blush:

1 Like

Since this has mutated into a regional food thread, I’d like to mention one very special dish from the Balkans, called burek. It originates from Turkey, but it has changed quite a bit here on the Balkans, so our version only superficially resembles the Turkish dish.

It’s especially popular in Bosnia, the best burek I’ve eaten was in Sarajevo. It is also very, very common in Croatia, here in Zagreb there are at least a hundred places where you can buy it, usually at bakeries (of varying quality, some great, some inedible). It is also very popular in Serbia, Macedonia and Albania.

It is a pie-like dish made from very elastic, thin sheet pastry. When property made, the pastry is chewy on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside. The filling is typically minced meat (beef or lamb) and onions, but cottage cheese is just as popular, and there are other varieties, which are quite rare: like cheese and sour cream, spinach and cheese, apples, potatoes, cabbage, leeks, even pumpkin or zucchini. It’s always savoury, except the apple filling, which is sweet. My favourite filling is cheese, but I also like it with apples.

It comes in two variants, the large one which serves four, and is cut into four triangles:

And the single serving one (which is actually a larger portion) which is rolled up and shaped into an elongated spiral, like this:

It goes very well with yoghurt as a drink, and even better with sour milk.

6 Likes

from where i lived before - wonderful in the heat just before the rains with fiery ginger.

2 Likes

What a different choice of word… :sweat_smile:

I had changed title because I felt many other people here might get confused with old title; as you also got, despite the difference. I had mentioned food/drink.

Is that a mango lassi?
I used to drink that at a home-style Indian restaurant in Sint Maarten, owned by a very hospitable hostalled called Singh.
Living in a tropical climate all year round, that is one drink that I miss.

Michael

2 Likes

Lassi is a Curd based drink. You usually add at least some water and sugar, and mix it well.

People often add more things for flavor, and one of the twists is the Mango Lassi you liked :wink:

2 Likes

BTW, had you begun to drink lassi in current climatic condition of your region ?
:wink:

The lassi shown in image is normal lassi as told by @flyingcakes , but it is garnished by dry fruits( preferably almonds ) after which it is known as “badam lassi”.
So tasty :yum:

Today is Sunday, and here is traditional local dish :

It is known as Kothimbir Vadi.
Kothimbir vadi is a delicious savory crisp snack from the Maharashtrian cuisine made with gram flour (besan), coriander leaves, peanut, sesame seeds and spices. These savory, herby and flavorful bites can be pan-fried or deep-fried.
Its procedure for preparation is quite easy, and hence, I am about to enjoy it…

1 Like

Already!

Since i don’t take cold drinks and stuff, i have to rely on lemonade and lassi :wink:

1 Like

Same here, I don’t like to have factory processed drinks. Hence, I favour homemade drinks and stuffs which also includes curd(dahi).
:grin:

A few times, but the weather was hot (as usual in the Caribbean) but was as good as tea for cooling down.

Which bean?

Noch een vun de Waterkant?
:sunglasses: :beers:

but i do grow up in Berlin:

3 Likes

Curd = talking about milk product

1 Like

No,no,no…

You got it wrong. Curd based drink means that whole curd is churned in mixer grinder along with sugar and flavours.
In simple terms, we are directly drinking curd in liquified form with added flavors.

1 Like