Systemd-boot and refind

I still don’t fully understand what you are trying to achieve? Did you try installing without bootloader?

Otherwise it sounds to me that your plan is to use refind as bootmanager to load another bootmanager (systemd-boot) to load your OS and you want to install both bootmanagers to the same partition.

me too – I’m sorry
as it seems to me, you don’t want to run EOS but test the bootloder named refind ?

1 Like

Yes. That works fine with the other installations.

No. EOS does not install correctly for me when systemd-boot is selected irrespective of refind.

Well… as you have already refind in place, why do you want to install systemd-boot? You are already using a bootmanager (refind).

2 Likes

OK, there seems to be a lot of confusion in this topic. Let’s try to get it back on track.

Can I see the output from the following commands on the machine that will not boot normally:

pacman -Q | grep dracut
find /efi

In the meantime, I managed to fix it as follows:

1. format the target unallocated partition as ext4
  2. choose systemd-boot in the installer
  3. let the installer shrink it
  4. this triggers the creation of a 2nd efi,esp partition (not done w/ “replace partition” when it failed)
  5. grow and move the shrunk part at will
  6. refind finds systemd and all works as expected

I could reverse it and send you the output but I am too happy at the moment about the success :slight_smile:

As long as it is working it is fine with me. :grinning:

2 Likes

Much appreciate everyone’s support that helped me to keep going!

2 Likes

now there are two efi-partitions at your disk (nvme) ?

Yes, refind is above all.

It might be worth keeping an eye on this since it looks like a deficiency in the installer to me but happened only to me on the other side.

Unless you choose manual partitioning, it will always create a new partition if your EFI is too small.

I don’t think so. When you install under certain partition scenarios the installer is going to create it’s own efi on the install. There is nothing wrong with this. I have it on my systems when i install EOS on a separate drive. I could use the Windows /efi if i used manual partitioning.

rEFInd is a boot manager, meaning that it presents a menu of options to the user when the computer first starts up. rEFInd is not a boot loader. It is used to launch efi bootloaders.

rEFInd better handles systems with many boot loaders, gives better control over the boot loader search process, and provides the ability for users to define their own boot loader entries.

But refind doesn’t depend on a different bootloader to boot linux systems.
So, what is the benefit of installing systemd-boot then?
In that scenario it should have worked by just installing EOS (maybe with sime refind configuration needed) without additional bootloader, or are there other issues I am not aware of?

I don’t know what this specific scenario is nor do i want to mentally try to figure it out. I didn’t install it. I just know how rEFind works. I have used it myself in a multboot setup without issue. I’m not an expert on all things rEFInd. I’m just saying it’s not a bootloader it’s a boot manager used to launch efi bootloaders.

Yes, it seems to think that 300MB are not sufficient. If “replace partation” is selected, it then seems to do nothing - a bug (not, if only for me).

In fact, systemd-boot was initially not installed and also refind was not able to boot into EOS.

Even with replace partition, it should do the same if systemd-boot is selected. In my testing, it does do this.

1 Like