Switching workspaces with mouse wheel stopped working

Okay i’ll boot into it and try.

Edit: No it didn’t work and it messes things up. Icons seem to disappear. I find plasma works great until you start messing with things and then it doesn’t because it doesn’t always work with every icon set or other stuff. I tend to leave what works and if things don’t … i usually end up not using it.

I tried to setup my laptop with the same settings as my desktop. Workspace wheel scrolling works on the desktop, but not the laptop. Beats me what is going on.

For Oxygen you need to download the icon packs if you do not have them already. I like Oxygen over Breeze, but if things go south, Breeze is still KDE/Plasma’s yardstick. I think Plasma is great, and I mess with it a lot.

I think it’s great too but I don’t know much about the desktop settings. It is very configurable if you know what you’re doing. I will try the oxygen icons.

@Jeannie

Well i haven’t figured out the scroll wheel on plasma to change desktop but i found that in kwin it is set up with shortcut keys and it works.

Screenshot_20200613_091351

I tried it and when i hit Ctrl + F2 it switches to that desktop and so on.

AFAIK that has always worked. If I have time later today I’ll compare my desktop (works as advertised) and laptop (does not work) to see if I can find the subtle difference that eats or ignores the scroll wheel input.

1 Like

Set up KDE/Plasma on my laptop exactly as on my desktop. Latest updates on both. No go. Scroll to change workspace will not work on the laptop, but will on the desktop. ??? I give up.

Desktop:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Nvidia GK104 (GeForce GTX 770)

Laptop:
Lenovo Z510
Intel Core i7-4700MQ
Intel Integrated Graphics vendor: Lenovo driver: i915

Ya …it’s weird. It works on everything else such as manjaro, open suse etc…

Well, it does not work everywhere, at least not always!

I suddenly had the same problem, exavtly as Jeannie describes it. Everything set up properly - I checked every suggestion made in this thread. My desktops properly switched as long as I either (a) had my mode set to “Workspace” (which, like Jeannie, I don’t want) or (b) used the mouse-wheel while on my second, right-hand screen (but not on the first, left-hand one!).

Eventually, I found out this:

I had been playing around with icon spacings on the desktop by editing the FolderView.qml file hidden deep inside /usr/share/plasma. As a result, one of the desktop icons (the Wastebin/Trash Can, actually) had wondered off the right-hand side of the first screen without actually showing up on the second screen. I.e., the first, left-hand one of my two screens had logically got wider than its actual physical size, and there was now a scroll bar near the bottom, almost hidden by the task bar. Using that scroll bar and moving the Trash Can back into range fixed the problem. Mouse-wheel scrolls desktops again.

How about that?

M.
(OpenSuse Leap 15.1, Plasma 5.12.8)