Switch from default Xfce to Plasma

Probably been asked before, so just link me, if necessary, to the appropriate thread.
Due to internet issues on my side, I prefer to use an offline installer.
But my goal is Plasma desktop.
What’s the best way to get there?

plasma is probably the easiest DE to install. Simply install the group plasma. Then enable sddm and remove xfce and lightdm.

I haven’t tested it but something like this:

sudo pacman -S plasma
sudo systemctl enable sddm.service -f
sudo pacman -Rc xfce4 xfce4-goodies

Be careful and review the list of packages to be removed carefully. It is a clean install, don’t login to the xfce4 session. Instead log into the TTY and do it there. That should keep your home directory cleaner.

1 Like

Well you can download packages from a system with good connection and then https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/offline_installation_of_packages#A_simple_example

1 Like

I tried these commands and for some weird reason, konsole did not install. Otherwise, it looked just like I would expect Plasma to look.
I was left without any terminal app I could use, so I logged out, then logged into TTY, installed konsole, but konsole was unable to launch for some reason.
I am guessing that there must be a few necessary packages not covered by the metapackage “plasma”.

Neither konsole nor dolphin are required parts of plasma. Unlike some DEs, plasma doesn’t need you to use a certain terminal emulator or file manager.

That being said, I usually install konsole, dolphin and kate in my personal installs.

If you want the kde applications there are many groups you can use to install them but you can install 100s of extra packages that way so I would recommend only the ones you actually want.

That being said, here are the groups:

kde-applications
kde-utilities
kde-education
kde-multimedia
kde-games
kde-system
kde-graphics
kde-pim
kde-network
kde-accessibility

Fair warning that kde-applications is more or less all inclusive. In my existing running plasma installation it would install an additional 331 packages.

If you want a couple of groups that re more reasonable, kde-system and kde-utilities are probably what you want.

2 Likes

Thanks. Any idea why Konsole didn’t want to launch even after being installed?

No, I have never had that problem.

Did a reboot resolve it? If not, install another terminal and try launching konsole from within that terminal and see if there is an error there.

I reinstalled EOS and did not have that issue the second time around. It could be I had the issue the first time because I installed some gnome packages with lots of dependencies and konsole didn’t like that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.