Suggestions for a new laptop?

I need to start planning to replace my laptop :frowning: It is now very long in the tooth and the bios battery holder has given up (plastic broken).

I only use a laptop, so large screen and this time I would like better graphics (better than just intel!).

Criteria:

17" display.
16gb ram.
Numeric keypad.
Decent GPU.

I would love a Lenovo Legion, but all I can see, from my research, are sound problems, something to do with a pre-amp chipset.

From the research Iā€™ve done, the Legion is the best all-round option (which is why I got one myself).

Solved with a USB DAC. :wink:

Interesting idea - which one? We concur with our research :smiley: Ebuyer seem to have the best prices at the moment.

Laptop RTX 3070 is roughly equivalent to a desktop RTX 3060, so itā€™s decent but not mind-blowing (it will do VR at 90FPS, though, so itā€™s good enough). This model has a second m2 slot for additional storage capacity (no 2.5" bay that other models have).

Wifi currently needs rtw89-dkms-git, but everything else works very nicely indeed.

In terms of tweaks, youā€™ll want to disable HPET (in the BIOS or via kernel parameter). The ACPI timer works better than HPET, and TSC is currently broken.

Youā€™d also want this tool for getting advanced options in the UEFI/BIOS: https://www.win-raid.com/t9926f16-TOOL-Lenovo-H-Bios-Unlocker-and-Locker.html

If you upgrade the RAM make sure you get 1.2v SODIMMs rather than any that run at 1.35v.

Iā€™m also using ryzenadj to lower the power envelope (doesnā€™t affect performance, just makes it lazier to spin up the CPU),

[Unit]
Description=Set ryzenadj properties on boot

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/usr/bin/ryzenadj --power-saving --stapm-limit=30000

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

and amdctl to downvolt by running -50mv at all levels, working fine:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/modprobe msr && \
/usr/bin/bash -c "echo on > /sys/module/msr/parameters/allow_writes"

# Sets a -50mv undervolt for all pstates
/usr/bin/amdctl -p0 -v61 && \
/usr/bin/amdctl -p1 -v104 && \
/usr/bin/amdctl -p2 -v110

/usr/bin/bash -c "echo off > /sys/module/msr/parameters/allow_writes"
/usr/bin/modprobe -r msr
1 Like

LG gram serie includes also 17" and they are incredibly light!

I would buy one right now if it didnā€™t also have Nvidia. I just canā€™t bring myself to buy one.

My 15" Dell 7548 is aging and Iā€™m really disappointed that it seems everyone - even hardcore linux advocate system76 uses Nvidia. Itā€™ll be a while still before I buy anything else anytime soon. Everything works fine. But Lenovo Legion is definitely right up where Iā€™d LIKE to be.

3 Likes

We just bought a couple of system 76 at work, the pangolin is pretty awesome quality! Uses AMD Radeon, Ryzen 8 cores, price ok. Much better built quality than I would have expected including touchpad and keyboard.

Edit: but thatā€™s integrated graphicsā€¦ Other dedicated graphics laptop seem to ship with RTX Nvidia

Because of shipping price, better for US based people.

I would get one for myself but my Lenovo still runs strong, but despise the nvidiaā€¦

Ya, their big heavy copmuter still ship nvidia. The Pangolin is alright and fairly priced. But if Iā€™m not buying some junk form offer up like I usually do- Iā€™m going all in on something crazy like $2500+ It will be exactly what I want.

Otherwise Iā€™ll just get another Lenovo Thnkpad Tseries. Itā€™s not so bad. . . itā€™s not like earth shattering specs though.

If I were in the market for a laptop I would take a look at framework laptops. I have been curious about framework, they make opensource hardware laptops that you can repair. they look pretty cool:

13" screen and no GPU. :person_shrugging:

If you think about a dual-GPU system with Nvidia/Intel (Optimus) you should be prepared to troubleshoot issues with the graphics driver on Linux. Especially if you plan on using a rolling Linux distribution like Endeavour/Arch or OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.
I have such a laptop myself. Every time something changes (kernel update, new Nvidia driver) there is a good chance you will encounter issues (black screen, no console text mode, not all display refresh rates available, canā€™t change display brightness, etc., etc.). And this is with a notebook that is advertised as supporting Linux (Tuxedo).
So far I could always fix issues. But if you want your laptop to ā€œjust workā€ I would recommend thinking about AMD as an alternative to Nvidia/Intel.

1 Like

This is true, which is why I recommended the laptop I did. It can run in NVIDIA-only mode (ā€œdiscrete graphicsā€) which removes the vast majority of potential issues. :wink:

Am I the only one without problems regarding Optimus? I have an RTX 3050 (Mobile) on Optimus hardware with Arch for a few months and I had only 1 issue regarding Paradox Launcher. (which is an upstream issue about Electron) No black screen, problem with refresh rates etc and GPU powers down when unused.

Exactly what I do, too.

Right, have a plan in place! @jonathon one quick question - does the audio out/headphone jack work? Seen conflicting reports and as I would be buying mail-order would be unable to test :smiley:

Yes, works fine with an earphone/mic set I have.

1 Like

I regret not doing my homeworkā€¦ as a 10 year user of Ubuntu, I decided 2022 would be the year to get a new laptop on the bleeding edge of technology (Razer Blade 15 Advanced Intel + Nvidia RTX 7030) and give me a good excuse to try out some new Distros, specifically Arch based.

After putting Manjaro on a few machines I thought that was where I would settle. Until I discovered Endeavour OS. I installed it (Gnome edition) on my Dell 7706 (Intel Iris XE GPU) and everything was screaming fast and smooth as silk. I dialed in a custom theme, extensions, icons, cursors, custom GRUB, GDM login greeter, etc.

I figured this will be awesome on my new Razer laptop. Mind you, I went all in on Razerā€¦ Thunderbolt 4 RGB Chroma Dock, Razer Ornata Chroma keyboard, Razer Viper Ultimate mouse to accompany my triple monitor setup. Move over custom desktop PC and make way for the laptop!

Installing Endeavour OS went off without a hitch with F2FS partition and dual-boot for the factory installed Windows 11 (requirement for company work).

Then came the setup and configuring (ā€œricingā€). After installing my standard web development apps and software that makes Linux so nice, I began to run into things not loading after start. Code OSS hangs on the Get Started window tile and the GUI doesnā€™t appear. Right-click context menus are solid black upon first click. The Nvidia settings app shows very little configuration settings (unlike on my Dell 7706), same 510 drivers. The resolution options are nill (2560x1440 @ 60hz). Iā€™m not able to get Optimus to load.

All of this frustration led me to discover and conclude that the root issue lies with the combination of Gnome + Wayland + Nvidia.

Now I begin the homework I should have done prior to getting a new laptop on the ā€œbleeding edge of technology.ā€

Now to answer the OPā€™s question. The Razer Blade laptop series are very nice machines with excellent build quality and high-end components and hardware. That being said, I would not make the same decision, hindsight being 2020. Iā€™d suggest looking at laptops with AMD Ryzen CPU with AMD GPU. As long as you avoid the lower priced models offered by Asus, Lenovo, MSI, or Dell, youā€™ll find some great options from any of those brands. That is the route I will be going down for any future laptops.

End rant.

Oh, and this is my first post to EndeavourOS forum. Thank you to the Endeavour OS community. Youā€™ve been very helpful in my transition from Ubuntu into the world of Arch Linux. I look forward the journey.

4 Likes

Thanks for giving EndeavourOS a try, and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Pudge

1 Like

Two models in looking at currently are the Lenovo Legion Advantage Edition, and the Asus Strix G15

Both can be had all AMD. I donā€™t know about ,17" models though. All AMD is tough to find, thatā€™s for sure. F Nvidia.

Maybe you need to wait for this one to come out? ā€¦ https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-strix/2021-rog-strix-g17-advantage-edition-series/spec

Edit: After a bunch of reading, it sounds like it could be a LONG time before this becomes available ā€¦ if everā€¦

2 Likes