Suggestions for a new laptop?

I’ve been eyeing these for a little while myself…I’ve currently got an ancient Toshiba Qosmio, so needless to say I’m a little spoiled :rofl:. Even though it’s super old, it has a great display and the sound system in it is pretty great still. The Legion does look pretty nice, and I have a Lenovo Thinkpad for work that I actually really like (even though it runs Windows…). You’re making me drool over here…

1 Like

And if it did, it’ll probably be like $4000.

I’m all for buying absurd things, but if I’m dropping $4000+ I’m getting a project car, not a damn computer.

2 Likes

If you don’t do gaming or do GPU computing, do yourself a favour and avoid buying a laptop with a dGPU (especially nvidia)…

1 Like

I would definitely utilize it for gaming, but I’d still need to weigh the pros/cons of having a dGPU vs an integrated one. I like the potential performance upgrade with the dGPU, but again it’s something I need to spend some more time thinking about…

Have ordered a Legion 5, should arrive Monday. Will generate a Tsunami of questions early next week :rofl: It has been a looong time since I dual booted and even longer since I have used nVidia.

Have ordered a 2tb M2 ssd and will put endeavour on that.

1 Like

Soon, maybe as early as ryzen 7000 series, integrated GPUs will be able able to compete with lowest end discrete GPUs. Already happening with ryzen 6000 to some extent.

Trouble is this: For my needs and from my experience, AMD dGPUs are great in general Desktop rendering where nVidia is buggy. AMD is also great is gaming by all accounts. Can’t verify since I don’t game. For all else, especially AI related work, nVidia rules. And in encoding although I only do that occasionally.

Rocm support sucks, can’t see things getting better anytime soon in that regard. Intel dGPUs may…just may launch in this century. :rofl: But Intel is still a baby in AI/Computational work where CUDA has a monopoly. :frowning:

I have come to accept the fact that I gotta live with nVidia just as I gotta live with Android even though I don’t enjoy using either.

Right, all up and running, 2tb M2 installed and Endeavour installed. Hardest part was getting the F’ing case open :rofl: Two pry tools wrecked.

Tomorrow I will install Qtile and Sway and the rest of my files.

Oh and the sound works. Had to download the RC iso to get kernel 5.16 for the wifi to work though.

1 Like

What WiFi chip does it have? Atheros?

Device-2: Realtek RTL8852AE 802.11ax PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
    driver: rtw89_pci

Oh it’s the new AX standard. WiFi 6

Yes, really new. Can’t get Sway to run on nVidia - too late to start reading now!!

Did you try external monitor through HDMI? Does that work? Do all Legion 5 models have Mux? Any Wifi Dropout? Using any fan control package? Does Thinkfan work in Legions?

:slight_smile:

Don’t own a monitor :cry:
What is mux?
No wifi dropout
Not using fan control - will report back if I do.
Ditto thinkfan

Just emerging from the Rabbit hole, but still got lots to do :smiley:

Stick with Lenovo. The Asus build quality has dropped terribly. My Rog Strix g531GT (nv1650 optimus) has had nothing but problems. And now it refuses to display anything on it’s own screen other than a few scratchy lines at the top. Will still run HDMI out, but that only from SDDM onwards…