Splash screen ? what is this ? is it the screen when the laptop bootin up?

what is this splash screen ? is it the booting up splash screen ?

https://userbase.kde.org/System_Settings/Splash_Screen/en

1 Like

thanks. it is the splash screen of booting up.
i have selected none.
i like the non quite boot up, so i can see all the things running when the pc booting up. is it located in .bashrc ? i like all info being displayed. i dislike windows like boot up which all info being hide behind some useless picture.

1. Open grub config file

/etc/default/grub

2. Find line starting with:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=

3. Out of that option, remove word:

quiet

4. Rebuild grub by running:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

5. Reboot

2 Likes

Keep in mind, if you mess it up, your computer won’t boot. So do exactly as instructed above. Only remove the word quiet and nothing else.

3 Likes

No - did you not read the link @keybreak gave?
To quote the first sentence:

The splash screen is the small loading screen occurring just after a successful login.

1 Like

I know you people love to use Terminal, but in this case, why not just selecting “None” in the KDE System Settings, and thous eliminating the hazard of getting a non booting computer? :wink:

Absolutely nothing is wrong with using Terminal to get it done, and getting information about it is a good thing, but when it comes to someone new to Arch/EnOS, it’s slightly daunting (witch I’m not implying is the case here), especially with a Damocles sword hanging over your head. :slight_smile:

Well he already did set it to none, and his 2nd question was:

i like the non quite boot up, so i can see all the things running when the pc booting up.

Yeah, but someone else might be reading the thread.

Just trying to be helpful in general. :slight_smile:

1 Like

that splash screen is just from sddm load intoo the desktop environment. no change of grub needed

1 Like

Yes, but there were two unrelated questions hidden here. One about the DE splash screen, and one about the quiet boot process. The OP is confusing the two.

1 Like

ah yeah thats true :slight_smile:

you have bootsplash during boot and you have from sddm to DE splash idd… two different idd

i have done that in manjaro… :grin: remember out of mind wrongly, it is grub… not bashrc. lol

yes, i read it, from the description “the splash screen is the small loading screen occuring just after a successful login…” hence it is splash screen… or am i defining splash screen wrongly ?
how many “screen” kind of thing happens during boot up.

true… each have their own opinion… that’s why human and human interaction is difficult if everyone insisting own opinion… thank you for your kindness toward beginner.
i like terminal … because it is almost universal … gui however changes from release to release…

i might have being missing some knowledge here. or wrong .
is that "splash screen " is the splash screen on boot up ?
why then @freggel.doe said it is Not splash screen ?
"

No - did you not read the link @keybreak gave?
To quote the first sentence:
The splash screen is the small loading screen occurring just after a successful login.
"

but you said i already set it to None ?! now i am confused. how many "splash screen " like thing happens during boot up til the moment before i got my gui desktop ?

now i am really confused, it seems to have 2 splash screen during booting up. one is arch booting up, one is sddm (login manager) ?

Beat it, sometimes it’s not easy to catch your drift so that’s little misunderstanding :slight_smile:

Loading process for KDE:

1. Loads your motherboard BIOS

2. Loads components of system with systemd (that thing which you’d like to see verbose with all the text info, instead of nothing), hence my second post on how to show all the info

3. Quick period between you seeing desktop loaded after 2 step:

• it’s either just quick black screen when you choose none
    • or KDE Splash screen at settings - your choice :wink:
1 Like

oh, i c… there are 2 splash screen… can someone help me post a screenshot ? i know now there are 2, but i don’t know which is which, because actually i don’t notice there is an obvious splash screen during boot up… and no idea sddm thing…
it seems both splash screen has a tight seam… that a beginner didn’t able to separate apart.

plymouth let say but we dont do that :slight_smile: but lets talk about you picture , thats splash screen that goes from loginmanager to kde