Some doubts about endeavouros(probably arch)

I was a longtime eos user. Later i distrohopped to several other distros. My concern was about the instability.I loved eos so much.but i feared the instablility issues!!but I wanted to comeback to eos.So I did. So I have a doubt.
If i update the system regularly(including AUR) and use a lts kernel, is it safe?
I mean,will it break ever?
If so can you please tell me about keeping the system stable??

Look here:

1 Like

Part of the problem in these discussions is that we all have different definitions of stable. My thoughts on that and my general thoughts on stability in arch generally are in this post:

If by stability you mean “the entire system breaks”, frankly, I have never had that happen across lots of installs over a long period of time. If you want to keep your system “no broken”, here are some good guidelines.

• Use the LTS kernel if it supports your hardware. New kernels often ship with issues.
  • Don’t use 3rd party repos, these can introduce dependencies which complicate updates
  • Update often, the longer you wait, the harder it gets
  • Ignore any instructions or tutorials on youtube. They are wrong far more often than correct.
  • Always use pacman or something else that is using pacman(like an AUR helper) to install software. Don’t use packagekit(discover,gnome software), pip, npm, etc to install software.
4 Likes

I mean I hasn’t break for a few month ( I haven’t used it too much so that may change ). I do updates when I feel like it (about once every 2-4 days). If you are that worry about instability but still wanna use arch then maybe make a live arch (or arch-based) usb and do backups everytime you do updates and you should be fine. Also, you might want to avoid Nvidia cards since my system is almost unusable with my old nvidia card but I guess if you know how to maintain it then by all mean use it

There is no 100% stable OS. Linux may break, windoze may break, hardware may die. Keep your backups going and take full system image backup sometimes and you will be fine.

1 Like

The other thing is that people define “stable” differently, as @dalto mentioned.

1 Like

Did you actually have any issues? If not, this thread is kind of pointless.

4 Likes

Any OS can break. EOS doesn’t normally break but it can. Usually it is because user lacks knowledge and causes it. Sometimes other things happen and it’s not really broken it just requires manual intervention. Of course the user has to know how to do that and what is required to do otherwise they break it! :slightly_smiling_face:

I saw many people blabbering on internet that never use arch.
That’s why!

So we are discussing hearsay. Hm, that’s not very interesting.

one way find out ! install it :wink:

Ever? Probably. So will Windows, MacOS, Android and basically every other OS.

If you need something that is basically impervious to all breakage- check out CentOS. Endeavour likely isn’t the use case for you.

Install EndeavourOS into a virtual machine of your choice (e.g. VirtualBox is easy).
Use if for a good while and see if you have any problems.
If you have, do come here and as for help, that way you eventually learn much more about Linux systems, and will become able to sort most issues by yourself.
It is not hard at all, simply requires willingness to learn some new things and learn to understand how systems work and why.

There are also people blabbering all over the internet that the earth is flat… :thinking:

What was your experience? Did you have issues?

3 Likes

I can’t believe there’s people blabbering all over the internet that the earth is round. I mean, how come I don’t spill my beer? That’s absurdity.

2 Likes

I had problems while using bluetooth and wifi same together.
That’s all!.
Anyway i installed endeavouros on my main machine. Not gonna distrohop anymore(I’m tired!:slight_smile: )
Thank you for you replies. I will ask help if something goes wrong.
:enos_flag: :enos_flag: :enos_flag: :enos_flag:

1 Like

Remember that there is a saying: what wants to break, will break, and what works, don’t touch it.

1 Like

As @dalto and the discussion I understand LTS is for sure a better option if it supports my hardware. (my machine is 10 years old, and I tried LTS before on EXT4 and no problems)

I am on KDE Plasma, BTRFS (and BTRFS Assistant, Snapper… etc) which the later still under active development.

Just curious, is it OK for me to use LTS? would I miss some “updates” in the current kernel related to BTRFS and family?

In other words, if there are default/current kernel updates related to BTRFS, would the LTS get the same updates?

Can I safely use LTS without missing something BTRFS/Sanapper?

Round! Can’t they clearly see it is a flat circle?! I just wonder what is on the other side/face!

I have doubts too, but I don’t care much because I use BTRFS + Snapper. You can consider using an incremental backup solution (ie. different system states like before and after update are recorded individually) and update without a fear of breakage.