Some doubts about endeavouros(probably arch)

Yes, the LTS kernel gets all the same features as the mainline kernel. It just gets them slower. Instead of getting newer features every couple of months you get new kernel features every ~11 months or so.

In the case of btrfs, this is usually better. There have been a few cases where the mainline kernel has gotten updates which negatively impacted btrfs in some way. These issues are always fixed quickly but if you are on LTS you would never see those issues at all.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @dalto
I will look how to install LTS and make it default!
Then I would later remove the mainline kernel as I see no point in having/updating it regularly!

You can if you would like to. My philosophy is it is better to have two kernels installed “just in case” but it certainly isn’t a requirement. Especially if you are using LTS.

sudo pacman -S linux-lts linux-lts-headers
2 Likes

Me too, previously when I was on EXT4 I had both for the “just in case”, which is not likely to happen.

Moreover if the “just in case” happened I am on BTRFS and have snapshots of system I can roll back to. :partying_face: So I see no real critical need for another kernel.

I am always having something to boot from snapshots.

Please correct me if I don’t understand (as usual) :rofl:

Would it be necessary to update Grub after LTS install and after uninstalling the other?

What if an update to Snapper or BTRFS Assistant… or… that uses something new in “current” kernel and it is not yet in LTS?
Won’t this break it?

I installed EOS Cinnamon on my main desktop machine in January 2021. Since then I’ve had zero crashes, two balky apps, and one incident of not being able to update from US mirrors. These issues all resolved themselves in 2-3 days with no intervention from me other than running an update. I trust EOS so much I use it professionally when I’m teleworking. YMMV, but I’ve stopped distro hopping.

Installed EOS: September 2020
Re-installs: 0
Crashes: 0
Issues: Yes, but usually fixed upstream within 24 hours apart from (a very few) AUR Apps.
Issues which made computer unusable: 0
Stable? YES!
Tips: Keep your mirrors updated, Reflector simple is good for this. Deal with pacnew files, and update at least once a week. Don’t panic and have fun. :blush:

3 Likes

Just want to be sure it won’t break, not to have a snapper update not supported by LTS.

If you were really a long time EndeavourOS user, you’d know that this “instability” is just a myth (unless you’re really unlucky with the hardware you have, but in that case, pretty much any Linux distro will be unstable).

Packages on EndeavourOS receive daily updates, so in that sense, it is “unstable”. This certainly does not mean “prone to breaking”, which so many ignorant Tubers and “tech” websites like to constantly parrot.

The fact is that EndeavourOS, thanks to it’s Arch base, is as robust of a general desktop operating system as they get, as long as you update it frequently and don’t break it yourself (user mistake).

There is no guarantee that it won’t. But it will probably be a minor inconvenience that is easy to fix. Honestly, I am more worried about hardware failure than the OS breaking on its own.

3 Likes

That won’t happen. Snapper wouldn’t make a change that depended on a brand new kernel feature. Snapper(and virtually every other software package) needs to run on older kernels too.

Snapper is developed by Suse and I believe the most recent version of OpenSuse Leap is using kernel 5.14. There are probably supported versions with much older kernels than that.

The current Arch LTS kernel is 5.15 for reference.

The chance of finding a mainstream application that wouldn’t work with the most recent LTS kernel is almost none. Even even if you went back 2 additional LTS releases to 5.04 you would have trouble finding software that wouldn’t run on it.

Done!
Thanks a lot @dalto

Can’t spill it if it’s empty! Easy solution! :beers:

3 Likes

The situation is almost exactly the same for me. I switched from Antergos to EOS around November 2019. which worked flawlessly for a year. Then, due to a machine change, I installed the system in November 2020, and since then it has not been necessary to reinstall, and the very rare package errors were usually fixed within a day. So, a rolling release distribution that fulfills the stability of point release based distributions. I even forgot about Debian, even though it’s a big word for me.

3 Likes

I have no doubts … about EndeavourOS. :100:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.