[Solved] Video Playback issue

For some reason today xine and vlc do not show video anymore, only sound.

However, Kodi, mplayer & Dragon Player do play videos.

I prefer using vlc and haven’t changed any settings.

The vlc gui is somewhat messed up as well, so I’m wondering if some update caused an issue somehow and if anyone else has had any video playback problems.

Tried launching it from terminal to see if it gives any error messages?

running from cmdln then playing video gives

[00007f408400a670] egl_x11 gl error: cannot select OpenGL API
uint DBusMenuExporterDBus::GetLayout(int, int, const QStringList&, DBusMenuLayoutItem&): Condition failed: menu
uint DBusMenuExporterDBus::GetLayout(int, int, const QStringList&, DBusMenuLayoutItem&): Condition failed: menu
[00007f40a4c1bad0] avcodec decoder: Using NVIDIA VDPAU Driver Shared Library  390.132  Fri Nov  1 04:05:07 PDT 2019 for hardware decoding

Tiedemann says it right. With such problems one starts over a terminal to get useful output.

In case of issues with vlc it may help to reset the configuration. Close vlc and execute:

mv ~/.config/vlc{,_old}

Furthermore the knowledge of GPUs and their active drivers is essential:

lspci -nnk | grep -i "VGA\|'Kern'\|3D\|Display" -A3

$ lspci -nnk | grep -i "VGA\|'Kern'\|3D\|Display" -A3
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 740] [10de:0fc8] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 740] [10de:109a]
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
        Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia
--
        Subsystem: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device [13f6:0111]
        Kernel driver in use: snd_cmipci
        Kernel modules: snd_cmipci

Something I did notice, when I stretch vlc window out, it looks like it has 3 gui’s in one,
so now, something with 3 monitor setup maybe?, but I didn’t change anything.

I also reset the config

After the vlc-reset:

vlc → Input Codecs/Codecs/Input & Codec settings/Hardware-accelerated decoding

With proprietary nvidia you could set “VDPAU video decoder”. I have that here with GT710 and nouveau too, but it does not have to work. It also depends on the specific Nvidia GPU, how well nouveau supports it.

When in doubt, set to “Disable”. Or you install nvidia, if it supports your gpu and you want it to.

what if you use:

vlc --gl=none

$ vlc --gl=none
VLC media player 3.0.8 Vetinari (revision 3.0.8-0-gf350b6b5a7)
[000055e2651cd5b0] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
QApplication: invalid style override passed, ignoring it.
    Available styles: Breeze, Oxygen, QtCurve, Windows, Fusion
[000055e2652682f0] main playlist: playlist is empty
[00007f39e00047a0] main filter error: Failed to create video converter
[00007f39f0c141e0] avcodec decoder: Using NVIDIA VDPAU Driver Shared Library  390.132  Fri Nov  1 04:05:07 PDT 2019 for hardware decoding
[00007f39e00047a0] main filter error: Failed to create video converter
[00007f39e0058cd0] blend blend error: no matching alpha blending routine (chroma: YUVA -> VDV0)
[00007f39e0058cd0] main blend error: blending YUVA to VDV0 failed
[00007f39e0058cd0] blend blend error: no matching alpha blending routine (chroma: YUVA -> VDV0)
[00007f39e0058cd0] main blend error: blending YUVA to VDV0 failed

and does it show video now?

nope, just sound

You still have VDPAU active.

I set to disable, and still just sound

Have you tried uninstalling vlc player and then reinstalling it after a restart?

ya know I did reinstall, but didn’t try it after a reboot, I’ll give it a shot

nope, nothing yet.
I also reinstalled the nvidia dkms earlier trying to figure something out on my own

vlc-git works.
I’m not sure I care for how it works though with a control window and separate video window, but it is working.

If anyone figures out the issue or something else to try, just chime in.

What’s the point of that? This is Linux and not a toy operating system.

Installed, but not alone, also nvidia and nvidia-settings. And nvidia is running instead of nouveau?

How about giving this a try:

In the Welcome Launcher screen that pops up after logging in: choose After Install tab, click Detect system issues. That might give you a clue into what’s happening. The Welcome Launcher can also be found in the menu under Other.

Also the mirrors in which your use for downloading: sometimes when you download a file the connection isn’t perfect and files can corrupt during the download - most likely due to a lot of traffic on the mirror. I’ve had that happen before and all it took was changing the mirror, reinstalling the program and the problem went away. I do realize it is rare, but regretfully it does happen.

I’m just relating what I’ve found to work for me. I hope this guides you to a solution.

running on nvidia

@axt

Thanks for your input but, if your point is that you don’t think this is necessary or you don’t think it will work maybe you could explain that and the reason’s why instead of making this kind of remark. With all due respect just because you may have way more experience and know more doesn’t mean you need to put others ideas down. I would appreciate that more.

1 Like