[Solved] Switch from Nvidia to AMD

Thank you!

Unfortunately this leads to the output in my opening post.

After

:: Triggering uevents…

nothing more seem to happen.

As I can boot the Pop_OS Live ISO maybe I can do the neccessary fixes to my EOS Installation from there?

Or are there other things I could try first?

Thank you so much for your time and efforts!

You can check the boot parameters of Pop_OS Live ISO

Btw can you only use these parameters to boot?
modprobe.blacklist=radeon modprobe.blacklist=radeonsi modprobe.blacklist=vesa loglevel=7 amdgpu ?

edit : forgot to add a blacklist

edit2 : try with and without modprobe.blacklist=radeonsi

So that the lines by editing the Live ISO looks like this?

`.linux boot/x86_64/vmlinuz-linux archisobasedir=arch cow__spacesize=10G archisolabel=ENDEAVOUROS noveau.modeset=1 nouveau i915.modeset=1 modprobe.blacklist=radeon modprobe.blacklist=vesa modprobe.blacklist=nvidia loglevel=7 amdgpu initrd=boot/intel-ucode.img,boot/amd-ucode.img,boot/x86_64/archiso.img``

remove these noveau.modeset=1 nouveau i915.modeset=1

You can also try to boot with the parameters that I’ve wrote previously your old installation

Thank you, I have tried the live iso first.

The boot process stops at:

[4.164292] amdgpu: Ignoring ACPI CRAT on non-APU system 

Try to add amdgpu.dc=0 on top of that

So directly behind the amdgpu parameter amdgpu.dc=0?

after amdgpu

I have tried this on the live iso.

The boot process hangs at

[4.146991] [drm] amdgpu kernel modesetting enabled 

In addition to this there is a line in rainbow-like colours in the middle of the Screen with a flashing „w“ in it. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

hmm, one last thing that you can try might be this :
modprobe.blacklist=radeon modprobe.blacklist=nvidia modprobe.blacklist=nouveau modprobe.blacklist=vesa loglevel=7 amdgpu radeonsi amdgpu.dc=0

Same result as before, unfortunately. Including the coloured line.

The boot process seem to hang one step before the last time, however. It hangs at

[4.046630] cdrom: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

At our last try the DRM-line appeared after the CD-ROM driver.

It‘s quite strange that the live iso is unable to boot at all, isn‘t it? I mean there would be no possibility to reinstall (or install) EOS, right?

But why can Pop boot the live session (and Windows) and EOS not?

To be honest, i really don‘t want to give up on EOS as is such a great distribution.

Are there other things left that I can try?

Thank you so much!

Well you can post the grub parameters of Pop_OS live cd and the kernel that it’s using

Of course!

But Pop doesn‘t use grub in their live medium. It boots directly to the Live-Desktop. I will try to find the Parameters there as there have to be a boot config or something i guess?

I think that there should be grub.cfg somewhere

EDIT : It uses Systemd-boot, maybe this is why it’s working, because maybe grub is somewhat buggy on your system, idk. You could try to boot with Systemd-boot or rEFInd your EOS system (unfortunately I don’t know how to configure them)

So i should look for a cfg-file for systemd-boot instead?

Edit: I saw your edit too late.
Can this be a grub error? On both, live iso and my (before the gpu-breakdown) full functional installation? I am really confused :astonished:

Yeah, I suppose so, there should be some parameters

I am not able to find any configuration file for the systemd-boot in the Pop-os live Medium. :confused:

Maybe i can chroot in my EOS Installation from here and add/remove the problematic drivers?

And if so - how could this be done?

It’s not a driver issue. I have the same card. The firmware and I believe the mesa version on the April ISO is too old for this card. I can’t boot that ISO either and it stops in exactly the same way.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=151259

Try this solution:

1 Like

Hello Elloquin, thank you for your reply!

It’s quite a relief that this is a “known” problem. I have read through your solution but I am not sure that I have understood everything correctly, I fear.

From what I read is that I need a development-version from EOS as the official release of April does not work, right? And the GRUB from the April Live ISO does not have a button that will let me start calamares.

So, first question: Where can I get my hands on a dev release from EOS

and second question: How can this help me with my previous installed EOS? Am I supposed to reinstall my system with this dev-release then?

Thank you!

Edit: I guess I have answered the first question by myself: https://github.com/endeavouros-team/ISO/releases/tag/0-EndeavourOS-development-ISO-releases

I would download the 21.08.03 then? And reinstall my system with it?

1 Like

I have asked the dev’s for how this can be fixed. Sit back and relax a bit and someone will get back to you.