[Solved] Switch from Nvidia to AMD

Thank you, I will try to relax and wait :blush:

@Talera
That dev release is far from ready and misses some critical features, at this moment we are developing putting features in stages and also removing some recently added features that don’t work.
This release is purely a trial and error for the dev team and should not be used to solve an issue, since it brings several other issues with it.

Just like @BONK said, just sit and wait.

Thank you for the clarification! I won’t touch the download of the dev release then and wait for further help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can still chroot from Pop_OS and update your currently installed system tho

1 Like

Can you please explain how to do this? I have absolutely no experience with chroot and dont want to increase my problems because of beginner-mistakes. :fearful:

ricklinux posted a guide above Switch from Nvidia to AMD - #2 by ricklinux

the last command is chroot instead of arch-chroot

That would have been my next question as i would chroot from a non-Arch distribution. So I thought I could not use this guide for it.

For now I will wait as recommended (and try to relax) before trying this out however as there might hopefully be an easier way from a dev.

But I am very thankful for your suggestion and will try it if no other solution comes up!

I have that same graphics card. I managed to boot a dev release of the EndeavourOS ISO and I did an online install. There were no issues with it.

Alternatively, it is possible to boot the latest Arch ISO and install it the Arch WayTM, and then convert to EndeavourOS. The former option is easier, in my opinion.

Since it has an installed EOS system and the nvida card was removed and the AMD 6700 was used to replace it. Would it be possible to just boot on an Arch ISO and chroot maybe and try to remove nvidia and install amd-ucode and xf86-video-amdgpu and update plus run mkinitcpio -P and update grub? I’m just asking? Not sure if that would accomplish anything so that it would boot?

4 Likes

That’s what I’d try first.

1 Like

I have tried to chroot some hours ago from the POP_OS live medium.

Unfortunately I am not familiar nor experienced with chroot and although I was able to remove the nvidia-stuff and installed some amd and mesa things (however I am not sure that these where the right and necessary packages) I made some mistakes I fear.

I made an -Syu after installing the packages I had choosen. My old GPU has broken down in early may and I did not replace it until now. So there were many packages and an update for the kernel. I wondered why pacman did not rebuild the kernel after this like it does usually but I thought I have overlooked it somehow. Thus I did neither mkinitcpio nor update grub - and after reboot there was kernel panic.

Quite annoying and it sucks to be a newbie :confused:

Now - can I apply these two steps afterwards or am I done for?

And which dev release should I choose if only an online reinstall could help me out?

After all @Bryanpwo said earlier that this dev releases should not be used?

The dev ISO I used was the latest one at the time I made that thread, so since that was on the 16th June, the ISO must have been this one:

endeavouros-devel-next-2021.06.13-x86_64.iso

The Welcome application was broken on that ISO (it’s a dev release, after all, so expect things to be broken) and did not launch Calamares properly, but there was a separate button on the panel to launch it. I did that, it installed without any problems.

There was no need to set any special kernel parameter (like nomodeset), and I did not update mirrors from the Welcome app while using the live image (this can cause problems).

Before doing that, I also tried the latest Arch ISO, and installed Arch without any problems, but I messed up something (I was quite tired and my brain was not working) so I couldn’t start the X session.

Thank you all for your time, your efforts and your help!

Before using the dev ISO I made a last try with chroot via the POP_OS live media, using the guide that @ricklinux has posted. This time I tried to issue the mkinitcpio and update-grub commands that I had forgotten in my last chroot attempt.

This did not work at first because the needed temporary paths (proc,sysfs and /dev) were not mounted and this is unfortunately missing within the guide. I have found it by browsing through the Arch Wiki inside the chroot article however. After adding these paths I could issue both commands normally.

And indeed - now I was finally able to boot to my installed EOS! :star_struck:

I have marked @ricklinux answer with the hint for mkinitcpio etc as solution. It was a long road to get there - although the correct answer was given right away. Thank you so much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Chroot is pretty easy. It’s just a matter of knowing the mount points of the installed system. Once booted on the live ISO you just mount the path to the root partition and then mount the path to the efi partition. Then chroot to /mnt. With Arch you have to use arch-chroot. Once you have done this a few times it’s pretty easy. MBR is a little different process. I’m glad you got it working and you learned something in the process.

Edit: I’m not sure what you mean with the temporary paths (proc,sysfs and /dev)

Thank you!

This is taken from the arch wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Chroot). The article says, I have to mount these before entering chroot:

# cd /location/of/new/root
# mount -t proc /proc proc/
# mount -t sysfs /sys sys/
# mount --rbind /dev dev/

And indeed, without these (or at least the proc) I was not able to able to do mkinitcpio.

I’ll have to look at that as I myself have chrooted a few times but i never used those. :thinking:

Edit: I think because arch-chroot is a script and it does that maybe? But chroot using another live ISO maybe is the reason? Someone will have to explain that one to me because I’m not sure if i understand it right.

Interesting.

I have tried to mkinitcpio without it and this results in an error which tells me that proc is missing.

And yes, I used chroot and not arch-chroot of course as I was using a non-arch live system for that. But as it is mentioned in the arch wiki it might be necessary anyway?

You surely know more than me :slight_smile:

Did you use mkinitcpio -P?

Edit: I only know what I know and it’s not very much in the Arch Linux universe.

Yes, exactly. I used the commands you have posted above. mkinitcpio -P and update-grub (I have installed this from the AUR earlier this year, as far as I can remember). And these two have done the trick (after adding the paths from the arch wiki, that is).

So how does it work with the AMD card? All good?