[SOLVED - Sort of] What's Been Happening with EnOS on Distrowatch?

is that the new additional in the periodic system?

3 Likes

Maybe we just found some new binary here. :thinking:

1 Like

mad-scientist

3 Likes

EndeavourOS is in the number 2 position now and what I was afraid before of is actually happening now.

People see its popularity and decide to try it. Some (perhaps many, if not most) are the type of people who don’t mind “getting their hands dirty” (or, in other words, actually learning about the operating system). These are good people and I’m sure that, not only will they enjoy using EnOS, they will stay with it.

But at least some people, as is evident from some of the newer “reviews” on DistroWatch, are unwilling or just plain incapable of learning anything. I’m sure that you’ve read some of these “reviews”. These foolish negative-review-writing people who, in my opinion, want everything handed to them on a platter, should certainly not be even trying EndeavourOS. If I wanted to be really nasty, I’d say that they ought to just stay with Windows! (Then, when something goes wrong, they merely take their computer to a shop and have it fixed for them.)

But I was afraid that this would happen if EnOS got too “popular” on DistroWatch.

I’m truly afraid that EnOS will eventually wind up in first place and, boy, will the “negative reviews” start pouring in then! (And down will go the rating - this may dissuade some otherwise good people from trying the distro.)

I wish there were some way that we could dissuade some of these “negative” people from even trying EnOS but I suppose that that’s a pipe dream.

Anyway, that’s my latest “rant.” I hope that I haven’t offended anyone, especially anyone reading this (unless they OUGHT to be offended!).

Lawrence

2 Likes

I’ve been warning of the distro watch dangers for a long time.

I really loathe that site.

Or too popular…everyone installs without thinking and forum flooded with technical support

The good thing about GNU/Linux is that there is no one “Central Committee” regulating what and how a piece of software or an OS should or should not be used. There is no Gatekeeper.

I take it as a positive sign if any OS get enough exposure to attract new users to Linux. Certain among which are willing to learn new things and will stick around. Others will find out that perhaps Linux or a particular distro is not their cup of coffee and will drop out.

Linux in general, and in my opinion EnOS in particular is not an esoteric cult reserved for an exclusive group of initiated users.

I am sure that anyone who has gone through the installation process of EnOS, is perfectly capable of learning some basic CL stuff to start on their Arch adventure. Otherwise there seems to be a GUI for everything that a new Arch user might need in their transition towards the use of the terminal which we emphasize here.

At the end of the day, don’t we all want more and more people start using Linux? So with a little bit of support whenever we can and at what level we can, I am convinced we could accommodate lots of new users.

3 Likes

Distro watch no matter ( it that simple ) if take time read negitive comments you end up laugh. The usr that post have zero idea what Endeavouros about + even less idea about Arch.

hate/troll + fanboy/girl is part internet . only damage /hurt you if you let it :blush:

interested people will use+ stay ( they understand what EOS is + try to do ) Rest moan/swear then move on to next thing they can troll.

That just my personal opinion.

1 Like

Yeah, use what you want, ignore the haters and negativity. When something becomes popular it will always attract both positive and negative attention. Because of this some things fail. If we believe then we remain strong. The haters will soon get bored and find something else to troll about.

1 Like

I have this feeling when I look at Garuda ootb …

With Garuda it’s a bit different, because Garuda is a very opinionated distro. It imposes the preferences of distro devs to its users. EndeavourOS, almost like Arch, is very neutral in that regard.

You can have a strong opinion about Garuda, you can love it or hate it (or you can have mixed feelings about it, love some aspects of it, hate other).

But with EndeavourOS, what you make of it is what you have (it just gives you a bit of a head start, compared to vanilla Arch). So if you love or hate EndeavourOS, what you actually love or hate is what you have or have not made EndeavourOS to be.

7 Likes

I agree with this statement for most of their configurations, but I would also like to point out that they do offer a ‘barebones’ version which is pretty much like EnOS, so the option is there if you don’t want their “opinionated” options.

2 Likes

You’re right. But if only we could get the “negative-type” people (people who should not be even trying EnOS) to stop writing poor reviews on DistroWatch - but that’s just another pipe-dream of mine.

Lawrence

1 Like

It is just that we cannot separate the grain from the chaff.
With a higher influx of new users we will get those of all kind. I am sure the negative ones will be in minority.

Perhaps the best we can do is to focus our attention and support on those who shows openness and willingness to learn things and help them through the novice stage and encourage those who are not (for a limited period of time :sweat_smile:).

I think with time things will work out just fine. Personally I see an increase influx of new users a positive thing per se. We just have to learn to deal with the potential problems that might arise on the go.

1 Like

I have a much simpler solution: stop caring about Distrowatch! It’s utterly irrelevant.

If somebody decides not to try EndeavourOS because of what some idiot wrote on Distrowatch, I say, that’s for the better! I consider that a basic test of fitness for EndeavourOS, and being dissuaded by Distrowatch is failing it.

3 Likes

I suppose if were to think of this as technical support i.e. Avoid like “Network not working. What is next” type posts.

1. If OEM machine then provide Part Number. So specs can be looked up.
  2. How to - Run command to provide manufacturer & model of WiFi, Ethernet, GPU etc in question which is not working
  3. Confirm you have attempted Arch wiki + Forum search on EOS and Arch forum.

I think that is a good starting requirement.

1 Like

It’s kind of the point of Garuda. They make a good distro for themselves. They are trying to be much more of a finished product. If you do like it, keep going. If you don’t, it’s just not for you. There’s lots of Linux, you just gotta find or build what you want.

Unfortunately in many aspects of the world today we have one group thinks they are correct, and that others should be that way too, even if they disagree. Linux is about the opposite of that.

6 Likes

Its GNU/linux :laughing:

I think it would be a good idea to create a basic template for newcomers to gather right information in 1st post for technical issues. Then when someone says “Display not working, please advise” then it will much easier to point them to basic information gathering stickied somewhere and give them link first.

9/10 it is always result of packages changes new install/update/removal and taking off needed dependencies for another package etc.

1. Attempt has been made to search on EOS and Arch wiki/forum without success.

2. If OEM machine. Provide Part Number, so specs can be looked up.

3. inxi output of the specific component hardware that has ceased function. WiFi, Ethernet, Display, Audio etc. or if using Endeavour, use logs for troubleshooting Welcome dialog box.

4. What day/time issue occurred

5. Is this a result of an update/new install/uninstall of packages. Provide some info.

6. Show packages installed/updated prior grep -iE 'installed|upgraded' /var/log/pacman.log

Something like that or maybe more up to you, so you’re minimising repetition of asking what they’re running and what has been changed. Obviously can’t create workflow to cover every situation but at least common ones.