[SOLVED - Sort of] What's Been Happening with EnOS on Distrowatch?

Not just your opinion, Shjim. I guess 99.9% of EOS users are here for the same reason. The rest is happy on Manjo or Mint or MX.

2 Likes

Regardless of the Distrowatch stats, the popularity of the EOS is unbroken. There is only one reason for this: it just works and nothing else.

5 Likes

EOS at #2 is not a bad place to be. Congrats to the EOS Team! Thanking everyone for their hard work and devotion. Well deserved. Thank you devs.

8 Likes

EOS at #2 is nice because I guess it makes more people aware of it, and perhaps they will try it out. Over the years though I’ve found that Distrowatch rankings for any particular distro fluctuate mainly because *distro releases a new version. Every new version causes a spike in interest and elevates it’s ranking for a short time. As @Orca said, it’s a bit like a sport! I’ve found a few distros way down the rankings are very interesting. The search function with various parameters can yield results sometimes.

4 Likes

Not just yours. It’s what every economical and grown-up thinking person’s opinion is as well. That’s why you won’t ever see me using Garuda.

1 Like

Was reading the latest DistroWatch Weekly yesterday, and spotted that :enos: was about to rise above Manjaro. Congratulation to the team :partying_face:

One thing that interested me in the newsletter was the results of the poll “How long have you been using Linux?” https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?pollnumber=322&myaction=SeeVote&issue=20210906#poll which currently is showing that 73% of respondents say 11+ years.

The people who vote in the newsletter poll are only a subset of those who read the weekly newsletter, who themselves are only a subset of those who use the DistroWatch webiste, but this might be an indication as to why Arch based distros have risen up the rankings in recent years.

Mhm, I think so, too. Once you’ve been around the block a couple times you kinda know what you want and expect. You’re too cool to fall for the Ooooh! Shiny! stuff but you default basically in one of two camps: Either Debian or Arch. That’s why we find MX, EOS and Manjo on top of the charts.

All three of them are not made with nØÖbs in mind but targeting advanced users … without becoming too geeky just for geeking out’s sake. Because, I dunno about you, but I use my computers to get stuff done; not to play with Linux but to use Linux as a fully fledged OS.

1 Like

Absolutely :+1:

Same here :computer:

1 Like

Distrowatch is based on clicks. So as distro gets higher ranking then it means more attention and more clicks as ripple effect.

But what is interesting is “People who use Steam stats” and actual installs from them.

If you look at “change” percentage. Steam users are moving away from main Ubuntu to Arch.

Linus Tech Tips. They have done a few videos on Manjaro install and more recently Pop OS to give it more attention. He reaches a huge audience.

steam

1 Like

Hi, after a long time. Was just curious to know why?

1 Like

Because of what Shijm and I both said. We don’t want any bloat in our systems, and after installation I rather spend 10 mins installing all my fave softwares than removing tons of unwanted stuff.

8 Likes

Not that it matters - but they have a barebones install available. I haven’t looked at the package lists to see what differs from an EnOS base install, so I don’t know if there is an advantage either way…

Just for your info, I have a Garuda install, but with the XFCE ISO - which I suspect is a lot lighter than the dr460nize4d gamer version…

4 Likes

full agreement, same here

1 Like

that name alone screams at me: FINGER AWAY!!!

1 Like

just clear thing up . I never call Garuda “bloat” Garuda just no for me ( i no game ) they focus lot on that so it full of thing i no need + never will use . What i read + see it look great for usr that like what garuda built for .

5 Likes

The textbook definition of bloat! :nerd_face:

1 Like

I am just overjoyed that people’s tastes are so different. :slight_smile:

What makes me sad is that there are those who think their taste is the only true one.

9 Likes

Well - that is how they come across. I wonder how many of them REALLY think that, and how many are just looking for something to get “outraged” about (today’s #1 hobby).

9 Likes

We? Speaking for the community?

I don’t think so.

1 Like

:question:

3 Likes