[SOLVED] Possibly Missing Firmware

This may be a silly or redundant question but, on every Arch-based distro I have tried (Antergos, Manjaro, ArcoLinux, and now EndeavourOS), I have often seen the message:

==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: wd719x

==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx

when I am updating the system via the yay command.

These messages don’t mean anything to me nor do they seem to indicate any defect in the system or the computer.

Can anyone tell me what they do mean and if they are important in any way?

Thanks.

Lawrence

Hello,
according to the Archwiki:
“If you do not use hardware which uses these firmwares you can safely ignore this message.”
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#Possibly_missing_firmware_for_module_XXXX

I get the same messages after a kernel-update by the way. :yum:

5 Likes

Thank you.

Lawrence

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=194977

Check out that link. I can confirm from previously using the linux-ck kernel those warnings don’t appear for me.

I get these too on my systems and i have installed them and it makes no difference.

Don’t worry, you’re not alone. It freaked the crap out of me the first time I ever saw that warning :wink:

@ricklinux yeah i see its not working now. I remember it working on 5.0 kernel though.

there is always this message: :smiley:

==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: wd719x
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx

just curious, anyone knows why they do not fix this? :smiley:

I suspect they don’t fix it because they don’t think it’s broken! As far as I know it is merely an artifact of earlier RAID hardware support, and I think it became a ‘standard’ for a long time. Just yanking it out the kernel might leave some production machines in trouble - and it is only a warning after all. It would require extra work to remove it from each kernel as it arrives, too… possibly a definition of busy work.

I understand that you can install the right things, and the message will go away - but I can’t imagine it being worth that, either.

1 Like