Getting some warnings running mkinitcpio

Hi,

I am getting these warnings while rebuilding the initamfs:

WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: wd719x
WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx
WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: xhci_pci

I used to get the two first ones but I ignored them since the system was working fine. The third one is new after installing linux-zen 5.8 fro Testing repo.

I have looked in ArchWiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#Possibly_missing_firmware_for_module_XXXX

Th linux-firmware is already installed. At the moment I am not noticing any malfunction of the system. Should I ignore these warnings?

Edit:
I found

The first two are normal. The third one was introduced when you installed a kernel from testing. It may go away after an update. You could also blacklist those modules. Look up blacklist.

4 Likes

Yes, the two first ones were always there. The third one appeared after the kernel install from testing which by the way works quite fine.

I’ll look into this. Thanks!

Is this correct?

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

and the content:

blacklist wd719x
blacklist aic94xx
blacklist xhci_pci
2 Likes

Try it. If it doesn’t work you can just remove those entries. It’s part of the fun. You hopefully have another kernel installed just in case?

2 Likes

I will try! I do have another kernel so it’s fine!

1 Like

Should it be modprobe.d???

3 Likes

You are right. Typo! I did however put the right command in the terminal, since it complained that /etc/modprobe didn’t exist. I will correct the line in my post.

Thanks!

Do I need to rebuild the initramfs now?

Yes, but it won’t may an iota of difference, I just tried it!

Harmless errors.

1 Like

Alright, I will run then mkinitcpio and then leave it at that. Good to know that they are harmless. Everything is working fine here.

Edit: @xircon, as you said the warnings are still there running mkinitcpio. I think I’ll remove the blacklist.

Thanks @BONK and @xircon!

Removed the blacklist, reboot, everything is working fine.

happy-camper1

2 Likes