[SOLVED] Plasma Desktop Icons & Taskbar missing next day

For the last month or so one of my kde plasma machines the
desktop icons & taskbar dissappear after a time.
This started around the time of the toolchain updates
so idk if this is related or not. Maybe a permission issue?

When these go away, I’m only left with the welcome menu.
Everthing is fine and showing after a reboot.

A little more info would be that I use krdc to connect
to this machine so idk if there is something there causing
this or not.

So, at this point, trying to figure out if reinstalling
plasma-desktop would fix this, or is there another underlying
issue.
…I don’t think “Your Desktop Stuff Is Gone.”
will show up in a log file, so not sure what to look for :crazy_face:

I saw another post about missing taskbar restored after reboot,
but I only use krdc to connect to mine so idk if this is related
or not somehow.
I just need to know what to start checking.

@MrEd, please post your logs:

Hardare: inxi -Fxxc0z --no-host | eos-sendlog
Boot log: journalctl -b -0 | eos-sendlog

Surely the experts can analyze if the issue is hardware related or, maybe there are some errors in the journal.

1 Like

Hardare https://clbin.com/uhOvY
Boot log https://clbin.com/gT5PP

Some parts of your journal log:

Apr 18 17:27:12 AIM kernel: [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (IP DISCOVERY 0x1002:0x5B70 0x1002:0x0303 0x00).
Apr 18 17:27:12 AIM kernel: amdgpu 0000:01:00.1: amdgpu: Trusted Memory Zone (TMZ) feature not supported
Apr 18 17:27:12 AIM kernel: amdgpu 0000:01:00.1: amdgpu: Fatal error during GPU init
Apr 18 17:27:12 AIM kernel: amdgpu: probe of 0000:01:00.1 failed with error -12
----------
Welcome:WelcomeChangelog --button= Don't show me anymore!face-crying!Don't show me anymore:5 --button= Help!help-contents!:WelcomeHelp' =~ Exec)" gave: syntax error
Apr 18 17:28:46 AIM plasmashell[817]: Cyclic dependency detected between "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/global/Globals.qml" and "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/NotificationHeader.qml"

There are some other errors about apps or services like, remmina, samba, cups and others, but I don’t think they are critical. Please copy and paste logs from these commands:

Error messages: journalctl -p 3 -xb
Critical errors: journalctl -p 2 -xb

Please wait for one of the experts to know what to do. Or, in the meantime, you can try to load another kernel, preferably an LTS one to see if works.

Looks like an older ATI card that should be running on radeon. Do you have it set up for Radeon?

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1966786

Error messages: journalctl -p 3 -xb
https://clbin.com/UnK3y

Critical errors: journalctl -p 2 -xb
https://clbin.com/cFgxd

That is a default install with onboard video of motherboard

Just wondering if it needs some tweaking because it should be radeon not amdgpu. It’s an older ATI card. Are you running it on Wayland? I know it shows radeon but?

Should have xf86-video-ati and i would think radeon set in modules? I’m no expert. :thinking:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/ATI#Selecting_the_right_driver

Edit: Just wonder why it shows?

Apr 18 17:27:12 AIM kernel: amdgpu 0000:01:00.1: amdgpu: Fatal error during GPU init

Happens to me every other day at the moment, too. Sometimes with an Akonadi Server crash screen.
I have a little bash script including
#!/bin/sh
kquitapp5 plasmashell ; /usr/bin/plasmashell &

that I run in order to reboot KDE, although sometimes I cannot get to that because I am left with nothing other than a mouse pointer, and due to other problems with this machine, cannot see a TTY, so have to reboot.

@onyxnz
use your alt+F2 button and type restart

@ricklinux
i can tell you it is using mesa drivers and xf86-video-ati

1 Like

Yeh, wouldn’t even throw that up; no idea why.

@MrEd

cat /etc/default/grub | eos-sendlog
cat /etc/default/grub | eos-sendlog

https://clbin.com/jWrRs

Got home, updated the machine and rebooted to get desktop icons and taskbar back…
Started wondering if something in the lockscreen might do it as well? It locks after an hr.
Dunno, but I turned it off to see if maybe that’s a thing or not.

You don’t have hardly anything in the default grub command line. So that surely isn’t causing the amdgpu error.

@onyxnz
Today, regardless of rebooting I have no desktop wallpaper, icons as well as alt+f2 not working weather I’m using vnc or not.
Only welcome menu.
EDIT:
then some updates came in
rebooted did updates again and found this

AUR update check:
:: Searching AUR for updates…
→ Missing AUR Packages: kalarmcal
→ Missing AUR Debug Packages: libkipi-debug
→ Orphaned AUR Packages: kipi-plugins libkipi
→ Flagged Out Of Date AUR Packages: python2-libxml2
:: 1 Packages to upgrade.
1 aur/kipi-plugins 21.12.3-1 → 22.04.0-1

I removed missing and orphaned
rebooted and everything is back, but won’t know till time passes to know if they stay.

I pointed this out bc I don’t have those packages on my other machines.

Another quick update.
I didn’t realize I was booting to linux, so switched to lts
but made no difference.

However, I’m seeing that shortly after boot to desktop,
maybe 2 minutes in, the taskbar goes away then another 30 seconds the icons vanish.
I don’t lnow if that helps or not.

Edit:
8hrs later get update

Arch & EndeavourOS update check:
:: Searching Arch & EndeavourOS for updates…
gtk-update-icon-cache 1:4.6.2-2 → 1:4.6.3-1
gtk4 1:4.6.2-2 → 1:4.6.3-1
vtk 9.1.0-13 → 9.1.0-14

installed, reboot…and
still have icons, wallpaper and taskbar for almost 45 minutes now.
So far so good!

I found a little more info if anyone can help me track down what night be wrong.

I did find how to restart plasma 5.24 though
$ plasmashell --replace

I ran dmesg and this popped up

$ dmesg

[  178.116986] oom-kill:constraint=CONSTRAINT_NONE,nodemask=(null),cpuset=/,mems_allowed=0,global_oom,task_memcg=/user.slice/user-1001.slice/session-1.scope,task=plasmashell,pid=826,uid=1001
[  178.117023] Out of memory: Killed process 826 (plasmashell) total-vm:15556800kB, anon-rss:10632020kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:20kB, UID:1001 pgtables:26784kB oom_score_adj:0

Hopefully this will help someone tell me what I should next to help solve the issue.

https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Debugging

It seems plasmashell has a serious memory leak for some reason (bug??)

Try this proposed command:

pkill plasmashell; QSG_RENDER_LOOP=threaded kstart plasmashell

You may want to report upstream as well… :person_shrugging:

Interesting, as @ricklinux posted where to start I went to the link he posted and was running the real time logging
journalctl /usr/bin/plasmashell -f 2> plasmashell.log

Here is the log when it did crash

$ journalctl /usr/bin/plasmashell -f 2> plasmashell.log
Apr 30 17:42:41 AIM plasmashell[845]: qml: PlasmaExtras.ScrollArea is deprecated. Use PlasmaComponents3.ScrollView instead.
Apr 30 17:42:41 AIM plasmashell[845]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.kicker/contents/ui/RunnerResultsList.qml:50:9: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
Apr 30 17:42:41 AIM plasmashell[845]: qml: PlasmaExtras.ScrollArea is deprecated. Use PlasmaComponents3.ScrollView instead.
Apr 30 17:42:41 AIM plasmashell[845]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.kicker/contents/ui/RunnerResultsList.qml:50:9: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
Apr 30 17:50:12 AIM plasmashell[845]: qml: PlasmaExtras.ScrollArea is deprecated. Use PlasmaComponents3.ScrollView instead.
Apr 30 17:50:14 AIM plasmashell[845]: qml: PlasmaExtras.ScrollArea is deprecated. Use PlasmaComponents3.ScrollView instead.
Apr 30 17:50:58 AIM plasmashell[845]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 12415, resource id: 94371881, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
Apr 30 17:50:58 AIM plasmashell[845]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 12416, resource id: 94371881, major code: 2 (ChangeWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
Apr 30 18:09:07 AIM plasmashell[845]: libkcups: Create-Printer-Subscriptions last error: 1282 Bad file descriptor
Apr 30 18:09:07 AIM plasmashell[845]: libkcups: Request failed 1282 -1

--->CRASHED HERE

Apr 30 18:29:46 AIM plasmashell[845]: Could not find the Plasmoid for Plasma::FrameSvgItem(0x55598cf90bd0) QQmlContext(0x55598bf0ba10) QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/global/Globals.qml")
Apr 30 18:29:46 AIM plasmashell[845]: Could not find the Plasmoid for Plasma::FrameSvgItem(0x55598cf90bd0) QQmlContext(0x55598bf0ba10) QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/global/Globals.qml")
Apr 30 18:29:46 AIM plasmashell[845]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/NotificationItem.qml:219:21: QML SelectableLabel: Binding loop detected for property "implicitWidth"
Apr 30 18:29:46 AIM plasmashell[845]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/NotificationItem.qml:219:21: QML SelectableLabel: Binding loop detected for property "implicitWidth"
Apr 30 18:29:46 AIM plasmashell[845]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/NotificationItem.qml:219:21: QML SelectableLabel: Binding loop detected for property "implicitHeight"
Apr 30 18:29:46 AIM plasmashell[845]: Could not find the Plasmoid for Plasma::FrameSvgItem(0x55598d6f4150) QQmlContext(0x55598bf0ba10) QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/global/Globals.qml")
Apr 30 18:29:46 AIM plasmashell[845]: Could not find the Plasmoid for Plasma::FrameSvgItem(0x55598d6f4150) QQmlContext(0x55598bf0ba10) QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/global/Globals.qml")
Apr 30 18:29:46 AIM plasmashell[845]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/NotificationItem.qml:219:21: QML SelectableLabel: Binding loop detected for property "implicitHeight"
Apr 30 18:29:47 AIM plasmashell[845]: Could not find the Plasmoid for Plasma::FrameSvgItem(0x7f5bb400ff70) QQmlContext(0x55598bf0ba10) QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/global/Globals.qml")
Apr 30 18:29:47 AIM plasmashell[845]: Could not find the Plasmoid for Plasma::FrameSvgItem(0x7f5bb400ff70) QQmlContext(0x55598bf0ba10) QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/global/Globals.qml")
Apr 30 18:29:47 AIM plasmashell[845]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/NotificationItem.qml:219:21: QML SelectableLabel: Binding loop detected for property "implicitWidth"
Apr 30 18:29:47 AIM plasmashell[845]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/NotificationItem.qml:219:21: QML SelectableLabel: Binding loop detected for property "implicitWidth"
Apr 30 18:29:47 AIM plasmashell[845]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/NotificationItem.qml:219:21: QML SelectableLabel: Binding loop detected for property "implicitHeight"

The command you posted

pkill plasmashell; QSG_RENDER_LOOP=threaded kstart plasmashell

Is working great so far no crash, but I realize this is just a bandaid for whatever is going on.
-as soon as I typed that it crashed lol

Here is the output of your command if you were curious

$ pkill plasmashell; QSG_RENDER_LOOP=threaded kstart plasmashell
Omitting both --window and --windowclass arguments is not recommended
[major@AIM ~]$ kf.plasma.quick: Applet preload policy set to 1
qml: PlasmaExtras.ScrollArea is deprecated. Use PlasmaComponents3.ScrollView instead.
kf.service.services: Parsing "exist Exec and ('/usr/bin/yad --window-icon=/usr/share/endeavouros/EndeavourOS-icon.png --notebook --key=909688 --center --title=Welcome v3.18-4 --use-interp --expand --tab=General Info --tab=After Install --tab=Assistant --tab=Tips --tab=Add More Apps --tab=Personal Commands --active-tab=2 --button= Software News!applications-development!Important news about EndeavourOS software:ImportantNews --button= Changelog!applications-development!Show the changelog of Welcome:WelcomeChangelog --button= Don't show me anymore!/usr/share/icons/elementary/emotes@2x/16/face-crying.svg!Don't show me anymore:5 --button= Help!help-contents!:WelcomeHelp' =~ Exec)" gave: syntax error
kf.service.services: Parsing "exist Exec and ('yad --window-icon=/usr/share/endeavouros/EndeavourOS-icon.png --notebook --key=909688 --center --title=Welcome v3.18-4 --use-interp --expand --tab=General Info --tab=After Install --tab=Assistant --tab=Tips --tab=Add More Apps --tab=Personal Commands --active-tab=2 --button= Software News!applications-development!Important news about EndeavourOS software:ImportantNews --button= Changelog!applications-development!Show the changelog of Welcome:WelcomeChangelog --button= Don't show me anymore!/usr/share/icons/elementary/emotes@2x/16/face-crying.svg!Don't show me anymore:5 --button= Help!help-contents!:WelcomeHelp' =~ Exec)" gave: syntax error
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:531:9: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:486:13: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property "height"
Entry is not valid "applications:Thunar.desktop" QSharedPointer(0x564bd6d34620)
Entry is not valid "applications:org.kde.discover.desktop" QSharedPointer(0x564bd6d342b0)
Entry is not valid "applications:Thunar.desktop" QSharedPointer(0x564bd6d343d0)
Entry is not valid "applications:org.kde.discover.desktop" QSharedPointer(0x564bd696ef60)
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:486:13: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:531:9: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:553:5: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.panel/contents/ui/main.qml:18:1: QML DropArea (parent or ancestor of QQuickLayoutAttached): Binding loop detected for property "minimumWidth"
Cyclic dependency detected between "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/global/Globals.qml" and "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/NotificationHeader.qml"
libkcups: CUPS-Get-Printers last error: 1282 Bad file descriptor
libkcups: Create-Printer-Subscriptions last error: 1282 Bad file descriptor
libkcups: Request failed 1282 -1
libkcups: Get-Jobs last error: 1282 Bad file descriptor
libkcups: Get-Jobs last error: 1282 Bad file descriptor
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/ExpandedRepresentation.qml:165:9: QML HiddenItemsView: Binding loop detected for property "implicitHeight"
Plasma Shell startup completed
QFont::setPointSizeF: Point size <= 0 (0.000000), must be greater than 0
qml: PlasmaExtras.ScrollArea is deprecated. Use PlasmaComponents3.ScrollView instead.
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/FolderItemDelegate.qml:320:17: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property "width"
org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.iec958-stereo.monitor"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.taskmanager/contents/ui/ToolTipDelegate.qml:89:9: QML ScrollView: Binding loop detected for property "bottomPadding"
trying to show an empty dialog
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.taskmanager/contents/ui/Task.qml:366: Unable to assign [undefined] to QString
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.taskmanager/contents/ui/Task.qml:366: Unable to assign [undefined] to QString
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/ApplicationItem.qml:151:9: QML Shortcut: Shortcut: Only binding to one of multiple key bindings associated with 13. Use 'sequences: [ <key> ]' to bind to all of them.
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/ApplicationItem.qml:147:9: QML Shortcut: Shortcut: Only binding to one of multiple key bindings associated with 14. Use 'sequences: [ <key> ]' to bind to all of them.
QQmlEngine::setContextForObject(): Object already has a QQmlContext
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/ApplicationItem.qml:151:9: QML Shortcut: Shortcut: Only binding to one of multiple key bindings associated with 13. Use 'sequences: [ <key> ]' to bind to all of them.
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/ApplicationItem.qml:147:9: QML Shortcut: Shortcut: Only binding to one of multiple key bindings associated with 14. Use 'sequences: [ <key> ]' to bind to all of them.
r300 FP: Compiler Error:
../mesa-22.0.2/src/gallium/drivers/r300/compiler/r300_fragprog_emit.c::emit_alu(): Too many ALU instructions
Using a dummy shader instead.

I guess I don’t understand why one machine is doing this but none of the others are.
If anything in that output looks like a bug of some sort I’ll report it, just want to be sure before I go posting bugs

I don’t even have a printer hooked up anywhere lol

What is the graphics again? What ATI card is it?