[SOLVED]Error upon closing and reopening laptop lid

If anyone who understands this issue knows that it’s harmless pls let me know and I’ll happily forget about it.

When I close my laptop lid and reopen it I get this error in sudo journalctl -b

cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper[1875]: PAM unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so): /usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Nov 05 09:24:27 Blackstone cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper[1875]: PAM adding faulty module: /usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so

I found a fix which was to install gnome-keyring but when I did that other issues were created with lightdm so I uninstalled gnome-keyring

I found another fix here

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=200977

It says

The “solution” is invariably to restart the complaining program.

and

I’ve had to execute systemctl daemon-reexec on various machines as well to fix this

But I don’t know how to restart the program or daemon, I’m assuming they are talking about pam.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Muj

Maybe cinnamon-screensaver it meant…Not sure

Btw it’s worth mentioning that you have that laptop (i assume from another thread)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_(Gen_7)

There is plenty of very interesting unrelated info btw, might wanna read :slight_smile:

Is this really an error btw?
Is this mentioned in

journalctl -p3 -xb

?

Looks more like a warning to me, like “screensaver tries to run, but laptop is in sleep so there’s no sense to do that”, maybe i’m wrong :upside_down_face:

Thanks for the reply @keybreak. Yes I’m using the x1 carbon 7th gen, also I have read that page quite a few times and I’m pretty sure it doesn’t mention this particular issue. I will double check though. It talks about bios settings, overheating, power issues. I’ll read it again anyway.

Did you mean I should try sudo systemctl cinnamon-screensaver-reexec

I’ll just check now

1 Like

No it doesn’t, like i’ve said - it’s unrelated, just thought to mention it in case you could miss :wink:

ahh, no probs cheers

yep its a warning

[muj@Blackstone ~]$ sudo journalctl -p3 -xb
[sudo] password for muj: 
-- Logs begin at Tue 2020-11-03 16:00:26 GMT, end at Thu 2020-11-05 09:51:01 GMT. --
Nov 05 09:22:46 Blackstone kernel: i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.4: Transaction timeout
Nov 05 09:22:46 Blackstone kernel: i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.4: Failed terminating the transaction
Nov 05 09:22:46 Blackstone kernel: i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.4: SMBus is busy, can't use it!
Nov 05 09:22:54 Blackstone pulseaudio[1226]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit: Unit dbus-org.bluez.service not found.
Nov 05 09:24:27 Blackstone cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper[1875]: PAM unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so): /usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Nov 05 09:24:27 Blackstone cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper[1875]: PAM adding faulty module: /usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so
Nov 05 09:50:40 Blackstone cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper[3181]: PAM unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so): /usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Nov 05 09:50:40 Blackstone cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper[3181]: PAM adding faulty module: /usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so
[muj@Blackstone ~]$ 

easy to reproduce just need to close and open laptop lid

my 1 yr old just woke up i’ll be back in a bit

No, if it’s in journalctl -p3 -xb it’s an error, i just wanna make sure to see if it’s not warning if it wasn’t there…

Sorry, not sure what to do here then, probably someone else have same issue

After some search-fu i came to conclusion that probably you just need to install:

sudo pacman -S gnome-keyring

Try to see if it helps :slight_smile:

Source;

Yeah, typo, I meant to write error.

I found that link and tried that link before. That does solve the issue with the error in this post as far as I could tell but then another error starts to pop up related to lightdm. I thought the lightdm error may be more serious so I sudo pacman -Rs gnome-keyring

1 Like

Do you think I should try running this?

lol, I don’t even know if its a legit syntax for a command.

thanks for your efforts @keybreak

No not really, doesn’t have Cinnamon at hand, just thought by:

The “solution” is invariably to restart the complaining program.

They meant cinnamon-screensaver in that case, but since there was the bug report i’ve mentioned above from 2013 i doubt it would help :slight_smile:

Over my head a bit, but okay

On that link it mentions this

Yep, making pam_gnome_keyring.so optional fixes the problem

I tried sudo pacman -S pam_gnome_keyring.so and `pam_gnome-keyring but they didn’t work.

Maybe I should just install gnome-keyring and then try and troubleshoot the lightdm issue which will arise.

yep the lightdm issue came

[muj@Blackstone ~]$ sudo journalctl -p3 -xb
[sudo] password for muj: 
-- Logs begin at Tue 2020-11-03 16:00:26 GMT, end at Thu 2020-11-05 11:31:29 GMT. --
Nov 05 11:30:54 Blackstone kernel: i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.4: Transaction timeout
Nov 05 11:30:54 Blackstone kernel: i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.4: Failed terminating the transaction
Nov 05 11:30:54 Blackstone kernel: i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.4: SMBus is busy, can't use it!
Nov 05 11:30:55 Blackstone systemd-udevd[345]: could not read from '/sys/module/pcc_cpufreq/initstate': No such device
Nov 05 11:31:00 Blackstone lightdm[1080]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
Nov 05 11:31:01 Blackstone pulseaudio[1209]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit: Unit dbus-org.bluez.service not found.
[muj@Blackstone ~]$ 

But this has gone away

Blackstone cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper[3181]: PAM unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so): /usr/lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I’m just reading something about gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

This is not technically an error - cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper is reporting that PAM can’t load a module because it isn’t installed.

However, this:

points to some other issues. gnome-keyring shouldn’t create issues with lightdm.

lightdm depends on pam which will use gnome-keyring if it’s installed, so it’s more likely to be an issue with pam configuration.

I’m not sure but I think this could be the fix:

mv ~/.config/dconf/user ~/.config/dconf/user.bak

Okay, I’m going to do a timeshift back up and give the above a shot.

I got it from:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1837552#p1837552

which came from

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=244965

which came from

I haven’t tried the fix yet though because V1del said

this error does not prevent anything, it’s mostly a debug message.

So I’m thinking that installing gnome-keyring solved the cinnamon-screensaver error and that once installing gnome-keyring the other new gkr-pam error can be ignored.

Does anyone agree, or know if that is correct?

Or should I try mv ~/.config/dconf/user ~/.config/dconf/user.bak

lol, Electricians came, turning mains off and on having to use hotspot (first time for everything).

update: so I tried mv ~/.config/dconf/user ~/.config/dconf/user.bak and it got rid of the following error I think, (well it wasn’t showing up)

Blackstone systemd-udevd[345]: could not read from '/sys/module/pcc_cpufreq/initstate': No such device

so the only error left is lightdm[1080]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file which I think isn’t an issue as I’m sure V1del was talking about that.

Bare in mind when running mv ~/.config/dconf/user ~/.config/dconf/user.bak it gets rid of all desktop customisation. I think that is mentioned in one of the links but I was rushing and reading quickly.

Marking as solved if no one disagrees.

lol After I ran mv ~/.config/dconf/user ~/.config/dconf/user.bak I reverted changes with timeshift and this error systemd-udevd[345]: could not read from '/sys/module/pcc_cpufreq/initstate': No such device is still gone. Look I don’t know whats solved what, (what is up from down). Hope there’s some benefit here for someone.

1 Like