So you miss win10?

Missing it but still want to stay in Linux?
Check out this WindowsFx (it’s more of a parody but apparently it works)

3 Likes

I paint my Porsche so that it looks like my old Beetle …

8 Likes

2714 packages, holy bloatware batman lol. :rofl:

1 Like

and the most will be for the exclusive wallpaper …

1 Like

i miss windows 3.11 , xp was ok but further the bsod and other things i dont miss :stuck_out_tongue: never done win10 lol

2 Likes

Never used windoze10, so I can’t say I miss it.

1 Like

The ‘best’ of them was Windows Millenium (surprisingly) before the EULA madness of XP (which did work OK by the time it was SP3). It was the only Win version I ever had that could go for over a week without a reboot - or needing one! Of course - that’s not everyone’s experience - I had a little RAM management program that MS should have included.

2 Likes

That is surprising! I usually hear it colloquially called “Miserable Edition.” :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve been hearing that (and worse!) for years - I think it was released with a defective memory management function - and somehow they never fixed/updated it. The little RAM program I ran would maximize available RAM on demand (I used it after running anything that used large amounts) - and it gave a stability I hadn’t seen on Win 1.0, Win 2.0, Win 3.0, Win 3.1, Win 3.11, Win 98, Win 98SE … or since either!

1 Like

Never used Windows 10. Windows 7 I thought was nicely designed (transparency!) but the square-afflicted abomination that was Windows 8.1 was the end for me … four months of increasingly doing nothing but maintenance and reinstalls when it borked the computer, and not able to get on with other things, ended it for me. When I came over to Linux Mint, I thought it was even more beautiful than Windows 7, and continue to feel that way about Linux, now EndeavourOS. Can do so much more e.g. with the desktop too … mine has a widgetted Rainlendar, art stuff across the top, notes to the side, larger icons for some important folders along the bottom, panel along the top with my own icon pngs for various programs [Mate] … could never have done that in Windows, or my blood pressure tolerated the disruptions and invasion of privacy any longer. Had planned at one point that would need to switch in a year, but the 4-month hell pushed me to skip that delay! It was amazing to experience privacy and stability again and to have choice about updates; I was still pinching myself 6 weeks in. What I miss is Windows not being shot into the sun, lol. :rofl:

4 Likes

You have to give some kudos to the devs spending all that time and effort just to give MS the mid-finger.

“Hah, Linux can totaly emulate Win10!”. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

A coworker recently asked me what happens when you get an update notification but don’t want to update? They were so surprised when I said it’s easy…you don’t update!

4 Likes

No, because I am unashamedly dual booting.

Reason? My favorite games cannot work on Linux (they use the Xbox store and Origin respectively) AND hard drive space is extremely cheap these days. Having a 1Tb drive for Windows games is really not an issue at all.

2 Likes

I must say tho that so many Linux users (I have shown a number of people on Reddit) don’t know you can if not delay them indefinitely, pause automatic update checks in W10 for several weeks so that you in effect only update on your terms.

1 Like

Yes, it must have been at least 6 weeks into being on Linux before it really sank in that every time there were updates, there was the free choice to go and read about them, even unselect some, lol, and defer them without constant nagging or forced installs/shutdowns … always great! :slight_smile:

And to have time to read and understand something about the updates, and how long it’s safe to not update, as said above … with Arch/Endeavour I think the most I’ve done is 3 weeks, but at least there’s time to see if there could be issues and to share advice.

1 Like

I used Windows 10 for work and I dual boot Windows 10 and EndeavourOS on my daily driver/Gaming Laptop.

I hate booting up Windows. I’ve disabled every startup program other than windows defender and it’s still a nightmare waiting for background services to run at startup.
:rage::exploding_head:

2 Likes

It was only fairly recently that MS caved in and allowed Home edition users to delay (for a week, I think?). Otherwise, you had to shell out another $99 to upgrade to Pro for that privilege.

1 Like

Well “recently”… over a year I think. 1709.

Also, it seems American Windows users have bigger issues than in Europe. Or at least Swedish.
I have NEVER had ads shown in the start menu ever or third party bloatware such as candy crush reinstall itself, ever. But a lot of American users I talk to have them all the time… Not sure why, to be honest.

2 Likes

What little sense of time I had has eroded during this pandemic. Except for when it comes to food apparently :grin: I switched over to Pro during a good Black Friday deal.

2 Likes

They use the free version as a test ground Because its free its as simple as that.

1 Like