So this whole Metaverse

20 years later and the Matrix is no longer fiction.

We could just make really comfy chairs and plug a chord into our heads to just see reality and never experience anything.

And coming soon, New Matrix with WiFi!

4 Likes

Isnā€™t that a Parallel Universe on its own :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

All I can think of is us being led into a future much like Black Mirror Season 2 ep 1.

1 Like

From the top of the Pyramid, who wouldnā€™t want to have the knowledge of and to control every aspect of the lives of the masses constituting its base? Itā€™s a security measure.

At first glance it might look OT but is it really?

Human rights campaigners are claiming that Hyderabad in Indiaā€™s Telangana state is turning into a ā€˜surveillance cityā€™.

ā€œHyderabad is on the brink of becoming a total surveillance city. It is almost impossible to walk down the street without risking exposure to facial recognition,ā€ says Matt Mahmoudi, Amnesty Internationalā€™s

The city is soon to be home to a Command and Control Center (CCC) that will manage the stateā€™s huge number of CCTV cameras, equipped with facial recognition technology. It will reportedly support the processing of data from up to 600,000 cameras at once, with the data used in combination with Hyderabad Policeā€™s existing facial recognition software to track individuals.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawoollacott/2021/11/10/rights-groups-warn-of-growing-surveillance-in-indias-hyderabad/

2 Likes

Facebook is garbage! :scream:

4 Likes

And nobody forces one to sign up or stay on the paltform. And yet, some seem stuck there.
I deleted my Whatsapp account a few days ago, felt so liberating.
Some understood and called me. the old fashioned way. Some were outraged, I am missing out.
What exacltly I am missing out on the Metaverse? I am so dumb and stupid that I canā€™t see?
Maybe it will nbring something good, but knowing Zuck, the price will beā€¦to be zucked.
Thanks, but no thanks!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been to over 40 of the 50 United States. I can tell you about the barren desert of Nevada and the sweaty thunderstormy night in a campsite in Ohio, or the smell of the air while snowshoeing in Northern Washington overlooking to Canada. The Metaverse can F off. No picture or fake reality will ever come close to the feeling you actually get being in a new place.

The notion that thereā€™s even people who think this is a good idea reinforces just how little time we have left as a free species. Everyday I pray for a meteroid to send us back to the stoneage.

11 Likes

But on the stone age we will miss eOS and this wonderful community :scream:

2 Likes

ā€œIt is now totally transparent to the customer!ā€

2 Likes

Iā€™d buy that t-shirt.

:grin:

6 Likes

I see myself death, i donā€™t want to live in a world of transhumanist morons :fu:

You better build a time machine, I think youā€™re already too late on that one.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s nothing innately wrong with transhumanism. Boiling the transhumanist ideal to just this metaverse concept is a disservice to all the rest. Thats a very narrow view of the concept if you think all transhumanist are morons (maybe you dont?).Even within the H+ community this very idea is up for debate.

Lets just close the metaverse! :unamused:

I feel in the way its currently being envisioned its a product for the few to control/manipulate the masses.

A true ā€œmetaverseā€ would come into fruition in a more natural fashion vs forced via buzz words and marketing. The metaverse conceptually is the direction the internet is headed BUT its being forced for a means of surveillance and marketing by big tech now.

One example of a more naturally formed sort of metaverse is Second Life. It didnā€™t start out to be that but over time has come to be much of what the concept embodies.

I just wish it would all go away. metagarbage!

2 Likes

both zuckā€™s ā€œmetaverseā€ and jackā€™s ā€œdecentralizedā€ twitter are laughably stupid. they want to be able to censor content and both ideas require freedom. both will be complete garbage

I totally disagree with you on the censor part! There needs to controls on social media or get rid of it! I have no use for social media. End of discussion.

1 Like

we can agree to disagree, the only worthwhile social media (that hasnā€™t been destroyed by censorship) is the fediverse, which gives each user the freedom to choose for themselves how much moderation or censorship they want to experience.