Small GUI configurator for eos-update-notifier

This thread is meant for people who use eos-update-notifier for managing system updates. :smile:

As the heading implies, eos-update-notifier now has a small GUI configurator.
Here’s a picture:

EUN-config

Note that you’ll get information about the buttons by hovering with mouse over them.

And the app name is:

eos-update-notifier-configure

and it is included in the latest update of eos-update-notifier package.

14 Likes

Maybe one should say that the editor nano is supposed to be installed to use Edit config.

Thanks for the report!
Alright, I thought nano would be installed by default in EndeavourOS. But it seems that only offline install has it by default. Of course a user may want to change nano to something else, but that’s another story.

I can add nano as an optional dependency to eos-update-notifier package.

Instead of adding nano as a dependency, why not invoke the default editor?

Either using xdg-open or something like ${VISUAL-${EDITOR-nano}} /path/to/file

Not all editors open with root permissions…

1 Like

Might be. I’m not sure about that. If I remember correctly I had to install it manually (doing online install). Adding it as a dependency keeps you on the safe side for sure.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure nano is installing with online install?

Might be, will check as soon as possible.

7 posts were split to a new topic: AUR paru Which package to install

I checked by installing an online Xfce, and nano was also there.

It is on i3 sept release. I didn’t add it.

1 core/nano 5.4-1 (573.7 KiB 2.3 MiB) (Installed)
    Pico editor clone with enhancements
==> Packages to install (eg: 1 2 3, 1-3 or ^4)
==>

I added a configuration for the editors that are known to work with root permissions. The list is small, but probably useful for most users. Later we can add more editors if needed.

The configuration is in file /etc/eos-script-lib-yad.conf, in the end. Look for variable EOS_SUDO_EDITORS and put your favorite editor first in the list (if you don’t want to use nano).
Note that it may be only in the related .pacnew file too, if that exists.

1 Like

By the way, the configurator uses (also) variables SUDO_EDITOR, VISUAL, and EDITOR (in this order) if the configuration variable EOS_SUDO_EDITORS is empty. And if nothing is found, then nano is the last resort.

So now I think all possible combinations are covered! :sweat_smile:

6 Likes