Should I use a LTS kernel? If so, how to change it?

Hi, I have a question.

I have recently watched a video about how to make Arch more stable by Chris Titus Tech, and he suggested to use a LTS kernel for stability.

Do you think I should switch to a LTS kernel then? My current kernel is 5.9.1-arch1-1.

If you think I should switch, how can I do it on EndeavourOS? I’m still kinda new to Arch based distros…

Thanks!

1 Like

I always recommend running an LTS kernel unless you have a reason not to. The main reasons not to would be:

• You just like having and testing the absolute latest stuff
  • You have very new hardware which requires a more recent kernel
  • There is some new feature introduced that is must have for you

To install the LTS kernel you can use:

sudo pacman -S linux-lts linux-lts-headers

Mainline non-LTS kernels can sometimes introduce issues early in their lifecycle. They are typically fixed in later point releases. But they are very shortlived so about the time they get fully stable they are EOL. :wink:

16 Likes

Also that, in case you have Nvidia GPU:

So if you do - for now LTS is a good idea anyway :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Ok, thank you! @dalto

By having and testing the absolute latest stuff, do you mean I will stop getting the latest updates on software I have already installed?

No, your software will get updated as normal.

It means you won’t benefit(or suffer) from new features introduced in the kernel itself. This is a non-issue for most people.

2 Likes

Also that, in case you have Nvidia GPU

Yes, my laptop has Nvidia GPU but also Intel integrated graphics. I haven’t experienced any kind of incompatibility at this moment, but good to know!

No, your software will get updated as normal.

Ok, then I’m installing it. Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, I need help with something else :sweat_smile:

I have just installed it, but now I need to know how to change it as Chris only explains how to hold a kernel version.

I have tried searching for it on internet and I have found this:

Is it safe to do these steps?

personally I use the normal kernel for day to day use, and I have LTS installed beside it, as a failsafe

normally when you install the LTS, you will get an extra entry in your GRUB boot menu…

Just make sure you install nvidia-lts or nvidia-dkms, or you’ll probably boot into a black screen.

5 Likes

@anon61999451
In case you aren’t aware there is also a kernel manager called akm. It’s in the endeavour repo.

3 Likes

And if you use akm (recommended, since you won’t have to do any grub reconfig yourself), when you choose linux-lts, also check linux-lts-headers with it.
I recently installed lts as a backup option but didn’t install the headers with it, and ended up with a useless blinking prompt and no graphical desktop. Installing the headers solved the issue. As I use nvidia, this was probably the reason?

Why don’t we have to run mkinitcpio and Manjaro does while installing an extra kernel?
Or does a grub update takes care of this?

While running pacman -S linux-lts mkinitcpio is launched.

No.

Endeavouros uses GRUB as the bootloader, so you just need to run the grub-config again as shown in your post. When you restart Endeavouros, you will have the choice of linux kernel to use.

1 Like

It works more or less the same in both places. When a new kernel is installed, there is a alpm hook which runs mkinitcpio.

If you want to see it, the hook should be located at /usr/share/libalpm/hooks/90-mkinitcpio-install.hook

1 Like

Thx @dalto, clear as a bell.

1 Like

Thanks, @dalto.

Small additional question: If I install the LTS kernel (or the zen kernel), could I then uninstall the default kernel? And if I can, would that be a bad idea for some reason?

Currently, uname -r gives me 6.0.7-arch1-1.

Cheers, Manuel

Yes, you can. However, there is some value in having both the LTS kernel and another kernel in case something breaks in one of the kernels you can just boot into the other one.

2 Likes

What about having the LTS and the zen kernels (but not the latest)? Is that a good setup?

Sure, all the kernels except lts are just variations of the mainline kernel so having lts and another kernel is always a good option.

1 Like