Severe folder lag

an occasional problem i noticed with one very specific folder.
this folder lags so severely that i pretty much have to forcekill the nemo file manager to use it again.
i tried to access the folder with caja at these moment but there i have the same problem.
im afraid i cant give me info right of the bat as i dont even know where to start with this one, its a really weird problem.

Checking disk with smartmontools and filesystem with fsck could be a first approach.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/S.M.A.R.T.

thank you but i can never really understand the the arch wiki, nor how it could help me finding this small very specific issue.
frankly i dont really understand your particular sentence either.

What is inside the folder?

just a fluctuating amount of pictures, but always very little, not counting the two separate folders in it.
the separate folders never have any lag.
what i did notice however is that this lag mostly only happens when the icon thumbnails are at the highest zoom level.

Try to launch it in terminal and see output when entering that folder, pretty sure it’s something connected to thumbnails, maybe then you can report this bug to nemo

btw @skaffen advice would be good (to check if physically disk is fine), but since you doesn’t have that issue with other file manager that shouldn’t be the case

if i launch nemo via terminal i dont get a log, is there another way?

Not sure, i’m not really used Nemo in a long time, maybe there are no severe errors detected…

1. If you don’t care about cache, maybe let’s try to rebuild it with:
    sudo nemo --fix-cache

2. Then reboot nemo
  3. Try to see if this folder would again lag

could you explain this step a little more? i do not know what it means

right now i do not have any but whenever i will see lag again ill try to do this step and will make a notice if there is any immediate change.

this kind of lag happens to me when accessing folders of an external device (phone or camera), or when accessing a linked online folder. these are the only cases that come to mind. and well… CD-roms/DVDs/floppies.

while i had this lag as i posted this query i actually did try moving the entire folder this specific one is in to an internal drive, i had the same problem there.

Well, here’s what man nemo says:

–fix-cache
Repair the user thumbnail cache - this can be useful if you’re having trouble with file thumbnails. Must be run as root.

I assume there is a chance that some cache could be lost etc…So just in case mentioned if you care, but it will be rebuild anyway :slight_smile:

So it’s not 100% repeatable lag…?
It’s harder to debug then

could be some corrupted file in there, or maybe some huge image file

I would move just one of the folders and see if the lag occurs. then the other one
then “divide et impera”-like move half of one folder (of the lagging folder) then the other one
and so on until you find the culprit file.

1 Like

it is indeed not 100% reproducible, i have a slight suspicion the chance of the lag happening again could be for very large pictures, thus making the thumbnail bigger?

files always change in this folders and it is often empty as well so i cant really reproduce the state where it lags when said files do not exist anymore.

so taking both ni consideration it could indeed be large thumbnails ( i sometimes have files/pictures that easily exceed 10 and sometimes even 20 mb). so this might just be a nemo issues?
than again caja would have the same problem at the same time

not necessary a nemo or caja issue, as more a library issue. some graphics library probably being used by both programs (a common dependency of both perhaps) struggles with something. Is this an older machine?

pretty new, the machine is barely a few years old, upgraded the ram last year from 8gb to 24
ill post its stats here again:

Host: 90HU002QGE ideacentre 510-15IC 
Kernel: 5.10.4-arch2-1 
Uptime: 2 hours, 40 mins 
Packages: 1219 (pacman) 
Shell: bash 5.1.4 
Resolution: 2560x1440, 1920x1080 
DE: Cinnamon 4.8.5 
WM: Mutter (Muffin) 
WM Theme: Flat-Remix-GTK-Blue-Darkes 
Theme: Flat-Remix-GTK-Blue-Darkest-S 
Icons: Flat-Remix-Blue [GTK2/3] 
Terminal: gnome-terminal 
CPU: Intel i5-8400 (6) @ 4.000GHz 
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 
Memory: 8451MiB / 23914MiB 

i will count this as the solution since even without anymore lag i did your recommended fix cache command, i have not experienced any slowdown since than, and this might be just placebo but it feels a little more snappy than before.

either way, thank you and the others for the help!

1 Like

Well, hopefully it will stay working :slight_smile:

1 Like