Screenfetch logo

That’s why I reported it to @manuel :wink:

1 Like

Did you have endeavouros-theming installed or not?

Not without manual intervention.

No, I mean was endeavouros-theming already installed before you tried to upgrade it now?
I’m asking this because pacman is very strict about existing files.

Yes it was.

Schermafdruk van 2020-07-11 13-07-05

is just the hooks has no owner, and pacman is strict on it…most problem comes probably if there is a online install.

True, we need to change the installer not to install those hooks from outside the new endeavouros-theming package.

@fernandomaroto @joekamprad

1 Like

the update like this can be fixed with --overwrite=’/blabla/*’ as example, but in installation you have no choice (installer)

1 Like

Am I the only one who thinks it is somewhat odd to have those hooks in the EOS theming package?

If someone thinks “hey, i don’t use the EOS themes so I am going to remove that package”, their machine will start identifying itself as Arch in the future.

2 Likes

personal opinion, such configuration you could say endeavour-core, basicly you also theming at the end :slight_smile:

1 Like

package name is a bit misleading sure, as it is more eos basic files and config. And we do not thinking till the end for the change with the hooks.

1 Like

thats a better name

3 Likes

Some great insights for a learner here. Thanks!

Wondered if there was a way to look at my whole endeavouros system and work out which files aren’t owned by a pacman package. After all, apart from personal files, most should be…

Tried

pacman -Qo * | grep -i error

from within /etc as a starting point and there are a few, including os-release.

Maybe some of these and others in other folders might mean they are installed in a different way.

error: No package owns adjtime
error: No package owns eos-script-lib-yad.conf.bak
error: No package owns group-
error: No package owns gshadow-
error: No package owns hostname
error: No package owns ld.so.cache
error: No package owns locale.conf
error: No package owns locale.gen.pacnew
error: No package owns localtime
error: No package owns machine-id
error: No package owns os-release
error: No package owns passwd-
error: No package owns passwd.OLD
error: No package owns sddm.conf.d
error: No package owns shadow-
error: No package owns shadow.pacnew
error: No package owns timezone
error: No package owns vconsole.conf

Tried

pacman -Qo /bin/* | grep -i "error:"

in /bin as well…

error: No package owns /bin/pacstrap_calamares
error: No package owns /bin/update-mirrorlist

This is probably hopelessly wrong, but better to ask and learn…

Cheers!

some are configuration, if you put those in a package and Dev X change a setting, is only bad for the enduser on some point if your system changed to finish :slight_smile: mayby update-mirrorlist is other story i think

1 Like

What’s the best way to get a full recursive list, including false positives, as the technique used only goes one level down?

Is update-mirrorlist part of the welcome?

It is part of the EndeavourOS installer only.

I am not sure how useful of an effort that is because there will be many thousands of files not owned by a package.

I think this will do it though:

sudo ls
comm -13 <(pacman -Qlq $(pacman -Qq) | sort) <(sudo find / -type f | sort)

The first thing is to get your password cached by sudo.

Thanks! Another first with comm. There are a lot of false positives! But, great for learning. Used a grep to control the output for lines starting ^/bin.

Brilliant!

You could also change the find command to limit the results. For example, this would limit the results to just /bin

comm -13 <(pacman -Qlq $(pacman -Qq) | sort) <(sudo find /bin -type f | sort)
1 Like

Mmmm. Just realised there’s a discepancy between the comm output for /bin which shows nothing, and my first go…