Running ONLY Legacy Bios Boot, MBR HDD , win7

Is this what you asked for ? because i don’t get what you meant above.

this was how i burn the iso using rufus.

You would be best to create the live usb on linux. You can install popsicle and it is listed as USB Flasher in the menu. I think your USB drive is the problem which is only booting in EFI.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_flash_installation_medium

In particular:

In Windows

Using Rufus

Rufus is a multi-purpose USB ISO writer. It provides a graphical user interface and does not care if the drive is properly formatted or not.

Simply select the Arch Linux ISO, the USB drive you want to create the bootable Arch Linux onto and click START.

Note: If the USB drive does not boot properly using the default ISO Image mode, DD Image mode should be used instead. To switch this mode on, select GPT from the Partition scheme drop-down menu. After clicking START you will get the mode selection dialog, select DD Image mode.

Tip: To add an additional partition for persistent storage use the slider to choose the persistent partition’s size. When using the persistent partition feature, make sure to select MBR in the Partition scheme drop-down menu and BIOS or UEFI in Target System, otherwise the drive will not be usable for both BIOS and UEFI booting.

It is wise to avoid windows based software when burning linux ISO’s.

I think @Leon probably means this …

Note: The image isn’t taken from EOS’s calamares version but it should work the same nonetheless.

1 Like

This :point_up: :point_up: :point_up:

You have been installing GRUB to sda3. That is not what you want. Install to sda. /dev/sda. Just plain sda. Generic MBR.

5 Likes
  • a version in 2018 firmware bios is UEFI ,not old classic

• your disk is MBR ( with windows ) , that can only offers 4 partitions ,
    if you want more , it need to use extendted (lvm) parittion

• 2 options for UEFI failback boot UEFI in classic Bios/MBR

1. CSM should not be active
  2. also some legacy USB may be active
    all others options is good

be careful on this :
you can boot on EFI usb , but you boot disk only use bios/MBR , that why you cant End on install

so if possible , Save disk ntfs ,
try with a USB windows to convert MBR disk to GPT disk ( it will create 300Mo /boot/efi ) with windows
if you can get this point , you will install EFI linux after

was a bit playing, when i just with Csm mode on i started my usb, boot device shows three entrance’s
Endeavouros was the grub entrance of grub. at the end you must have grub. how many do you see?

normal i guess three from the usb

He’s got Win 7 running on this computer - if I am not mistaken, Win 7 doesn’t work in UEFI mode (at least without jumping through some hoops).

But it illustrates what is probably a big part of the problem here - OP does not give us the whole story up front. Initially he insisted that this machine was Legacy BIOS only:

But no, it’s EFI running in Legacy mode.

Anyway, Endeavour should install just fine in Legacy mode (CSM enabled) alongside Win 7. But from the look of things, there’s leftover crud from his past installation attempts. I look at the info he’s posted, and I see a mess.

Hallo Tardy,
How do you know my grub is installed to sda3 ?
I know how to install my grub to sda… just that i don’t know will win7 still survive or not if i do that.

I saw something about it in that morass of screenshots and output that you posted above, which I skimmed through. I really don’t feel like looking back through all that to find it again. But it looked to me like that’s what you’re doing.

Whatever, I’m out of this mess. I told you what I thought the best option was for you to proceed when you contacted me via PM a few days ago - choose the “Install alongside” option and let the installer set things up instead of you manually doing it. You ignored that advice, so i’m out.

Don’t PM me again.

3 Likes

My appology.
I was totally wrong when i said my laptop is efi incompatible.
i was wrong for so many years… i have always thought it is has got no efi, because i didn’t see EFI button in bios setting
Now, i know it is class 2 or class 3 EFI, which is thru CSM that i can tell it is EFI compatible.

Sorry Tardy, I dare not install linux along side with win7, it seems to me if i install linux on win7 partition, i am risking of ruin the win7 partition. Risk too high.

It installs alongside, not on the same partition. Exactly what you’ve been attempting to do. And it almost undoubtedly had a higher probability of succeeding.

2 Likes

oh… that alongside option in edea installation… i mistaken it for (sharing a partition ). Language barrier.

the trouble on windows7 and EFI & bios
if the disk was formatted GPT --> EFI appears
if the disk was formatted MBR --> CSM only
also between this mixed version and 32 bits / 64 bits this is here the trouble

if you open the bootmenu it should see 3 choices one of the top is Endeavouros other is uefi

1 Like

Well, he states:

But who knows what’s really going on. The computer was released in 2013, and as far as I can tell that model was shipped with Win 8 from the start. So the OP (or someone) installed Win 7 on it at some point.

In the thread that started this all, he said he was going to do this installation on a computer that was purchased new about 2 years ago, that had a Celeron processor. Now it’s a 2013 computer with a Pentium processor. Who knows.

1 Like

i marked my bios to csm with uefi & legacy installed… if hdd is mbr, the usb doesnt look that way, if autoload into usb possible it chooses by bios you need the menu to look into it and choose manual… i think atleast.

1 Like

I scanned through some of his threads/posts; there are obviously two different machines- a HP and the other is a Fujitsu.
Anyway; it is, obviously, close to impossible to actually help someone remotely who is deliberately ignoring requests for digestable text-based info, and stubbornly posting screenshots or photos instead while at the same time insisting on doing whatever he feels like, in blind flight.
Eight days and 58 postings for something usually done in 15 minutes max, holy cow. :stuck_out_tongue:

just my 2c, hope i didn’t offend anyone.

5 Likes

Endeavouros is diverse. some has skils and some less and information is always key offcourse. hope it work out for andrew