Right click menu flickers and gone

I agree with everything @ricklinux said, and his solution is if you want to remain using a hyrbrid (both Intel and Nvidia setup, with the ability to switch back and forth.) If not, then you can just install the Nvidia drivers, which it sounds like that is what you wanted initially, and ultimately, probably the easiest. :man_shrugging:

Edit to add, re the hybrid setup, running under Intel GPUs takes less battery than running under Nvidia, which is why many users do prefer a hybrid setup. Just something to note.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure just installing the Nvidia drivers will do much for him. They will be installed but unless you can switch to I donā€™t think itā€™s going to do anything. I have Nvidia in a desktop but Iā€™m not a laptop user and havenā€™t had any hybrid graphics. Currently if I get a laptop it will be dedicated AMD GPU only.

It should work with just Nvidia drivers on a laptop because I always buy Intel CPUs with dedicated Intel GPUs, and I also buy a Nvidia GPU. I do this because in the past, most distros would not detect the Nvidia GPU, and always installed the open source Intel GPU drives, then I would install only the Nvidia drivers after 1st boot to switch to Nvidia (and never use the Intel GPU ever again.) Never used a hybrid setup, fyi. This is my standard desktop PC setup.

Now, however, and especially this distro and many others, they can detect or have an option to select on the LiveCD to install Nvidia drivers. So in the future, I can stop buying the more expensive Intel CPUs with their GPUs included (pennies in the bank.) :laughing:

I am not a AMD guy, just how I role, but yeah I agree, that would make life easier for a linux user.

Yes you are right if the laptop will allow either turn off Intel and run on nvidia. I just donā€™t have enough experience using any hybrid graphics laptops. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

According to my opinion we can exclude the hybrid configuration as the cause for the problem.As I mentioned earlier, Iā€™m experiencing the same behaviour at my place.

inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GF100 [GeForce GTX 465] driver: nvidia v: 390.138 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 465/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.138

So no bumblebee configuration on my system.
Iā€™m going to do some more testing later today. Maybe Iā€™m able to at least figure out in what direction to head, even if I might not be able to offer a solution that quickly.

I wasnā€™t looking at the hybrid configuration as any relation to the problem per say. It was just more the fact that this is how you would install it if you wanted that setup with switchable graphics. I think he is running without nvidia installed so itā€™s running on Nouveau?

Sorry. I missed your point then. I have to admitt, I wasnā€™t reading the posts in detail. As one can see, thatā€™s not a good idea. :wink: I assumed you were targeting at the hybrid setup.
As I said, I hope I can contribute one or two good ideas later on.

If you have the same or similar problem and a similar set up then youā€™re in a better position to figure out the problem. Are you using the same desktop also?

My laptop is always plugged in when usingā€¦ so using more power should not be any problem to me.
Nvidia is always powerful than onboard graphic card right ?
Is there any other con apart from power consumpted ?

Yes, your Nvidia graphics card will be more powerful and you can play some games, low settings.

No other cons. :wink:

Than Nvidia is better ā€¦ is there any documentation to do that ? i can read up.

I would suggest googling on your particular Nvidia GPU and read about benchmarks, comparisons, etc. There is a whole world of GPU info out there, including youtube channels as well.

inxi -G says driver: intel,nvidia unloaded; does this means i am using intel driver and nvidia driver is not loaded ? that means i am usin gonly intel driver, no nvidiaā€¦ so my nvidia card is totally not ultilized ? what a waste to have a Nvidia card but not use.

$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 940M] driver: nvidia v: 450.66 
           Device-3: Acer MSI Integrated Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: intel,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 
           1: 1920x1080 2: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 20.1.7

A waste only under your current driver install situation, I guess. You can fix that though, as we have reported above. You just have to figure out how you want to use your laptop;

1. Hybrid (ability to switch to either GPU)
  2. Nvidia only (better graphics, can play some games on low settings, bad battery life)
  3. Intel only, your current setup. (open source drivers, better battery life)
1 Like

I have said in previous post that i want Nvidia, because i am plugged in all the time.
I am reading thru the wiki for forā€¦ there is a lot to read and to understandā€¦ :hot_face:
And i have new problem that surfaced: 3 instances mp3 are currently playing background, but i canā€™t find the application that playing themā€¦ hence i canā€™t stop it. I have posted this in a new thread. I tried to search for such issue on internet, apparently ppl only complains audio not playing, but none has the issue i am having.

Nvidia Installer

2 Likes