Replacing thunar with nemo

I’m thinking to use nemo file manager instead of thunar that comes with xfce…
If I uninstall thunar completely and set nemo as default file manager… does it broke my system? :neutral_face:

Of course not, it’s Linux!
:penguin:

No, as far as I am aware there are no dependencies for Thunar. The only dependency is xfdesktop and that is part of the extra repo. You will probably have to remove xfdesktop as well. I use both on XFCE, and if you can’t uninstall Thunar you can set nemo as your default.

Just a tips:

pactree is a handy tool to determine dependencies and reverse dependencies of a package.

It can be useful in cases like this to see what is depending on a package you want to remove.

pactree X

to get a list of dependencies for package X

pactree -r X

to get a list of what packages has X as dependency, in other words, what packages are dependent on X

$ pactree -r thunar 
thunar
├─thunar-archive-plugin
├─thunar-media-tags-plugin
├─thunar-shares-plugin
├─thunar-shares-plugin-git
├─thunar-volman
└─xfdesktop

:eye: pactree --help and/or man pactree

4 Likes

No, but Nemo will pull in Cinnamon desktop and a slew of other dependencies which you may or may not want.

Your Basic Research: https://archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/nemo/

1 Like

The dependencies are not as large as you think, (AFAIK around 10 MiB, depending on what you have installed) it is not like installing GDM and pulling some GNOME.

1 Like

No, it’s more like installing Nemo and getting Cinnamon. :wink:

1 Like

You mean cinnamon-desktop (Library with common API for various Cinnamon modules) and not cinnamon (Linux desktop which provides advanced innovative features and a traditional user experience).

I do replace Nautilus with Nemo on my GNOME systems.
Never has it pulled in cinnamon, the whole DE, if that is what you mean.

No. That is not what I mean.