[Rant] Manjaro is Archlinux child, put this in your head

I read once again someone complaining about Manjaro keeping up some software from being updated.

As I’m using both systems, Archlinux since 2009 and Manjaro Linux since june 2018 on my laptop, I knew the differences between the two projects.

Even if the repositories use the same names, they’re not compatible. The only compatibility? AUR. And that’s all.

Manjaro packages cycle?

1. Every day, Manjaro synchronizes its unstable channel with Archlinux stable repositories
  2. Every week, Manjaro synchronizes its testing channel with unstable packages
  3. Every two to four weeks, Manjaro pushes testing packages to its stable channel.

For me, the best way to see Manjaro is to say it is like Ubuntu in the beginning: a stabilized Archlinux.

Sorry for the rant, but I’m fed up with people thinking the mother - Archlinux - and the daughter - Manjaro - are nearly the same thing.

7 Likes

Ford/Chevy, Coke/Pepsi, Trump/Johnson.

2 Likes

Many thanks for pointing out the differences between Archlinux and Manjaro FredBezies.

I’m as guilty as the rest of us, in not pointing out the differences between the two distros. Sometimes I ‘assume’ that the other party should know the difference between the two; and that comes to bite me in the ‘you know where’ every time. So I’m including a link to a Wikipedia page that shows a comparison between the distros that are linux based at the present time (including Endeavour). Hopefully that might further clear up the differences. The webpage probably does need updating (it is Wikipedia). So after this post, I’m going to sign up in the hope that I’ll be able to help them keep things up to date.

Can’t say for the last, I’m not living in the gun powered country.

4 Likes

Understood. My comparisons are based on the news media. I still don’t understand the whole Brexit issue, but it looks like our friends in the UK are not enjoying the experience.

You can say its a child that stay in there chambers and this way he lives on its own :stuck_out_tongue:

not fully standing on there own feeds but doing its own thing… :slight_smile:

I think the comparison with Ubuntu-Debian is the best and now that Manjaro is a company, the differences between Arch will get bigger in time.

5 Likes

Apples, Pears and Oranges, never the twain shall meet . Been there, done that, must agree whole heartedley. Running both above mentioned as duo boot and prefer EndeavourOS. Why? Look at the forums. Manjaro is taking off in a new direction. Bugs in everything, putting too much into an install. I like the base of Arch, the build of Endeavour. IMHO

2 Likes

@FredBezies is this the correct forum for this? I respect you personal views, but not in a technical forum.
Edit: Although I just noticed that this is the lounge, but still …

I use both Manjaro and EndeavourOS and find them vastly different, but easy to move from one to the other if you are aware of the “Manjaro way” and its many modifications and helpers that are taken for granted. If I only had one, it would be EndeavourOS. If I had to recommend one or the other to a non-techie friend it might be the other way around. Still on the fence about that. Both forums are a pleasure and I even search the Manjaro forum in addition to Endeavour when diagnosing problems on Endeavour.

1 Like

We do encourage to have non-EOS discussions also in the lounge, it keeps the community alive and it often opens discussion for our further development.

2 Likes

One of the biggest differences for me, I can get most any Arch based distro installed and working, except Manjaro. Thanks for the breakdown of other differences. :wink:

Thank you for the clarification. Cool!:sunglasses:

You might say that Manjaro is Arch-based, while EOS is Arch+ I suppose? :thinking:

2 Likes

This how i see it also. I like Manjaro and i have had it installed triple boot with Windows 10, Antergos and Manjaro. I had used it along with Antergos until it closed down and then i migrated to Arch and then to EndeavourOS and then i installed only EndeavourOS. I think Manjaro has way too many ISO versions. When using both i always went to Antergos so it was natural to move over to EndeavourOS for me. Manjaro was always behind and i don’t consider it true rolling release or Arch but an Arch based distro. I also prefer the online installation for different desktops as opposed to downloading a different ISO. I do like Manjaro and didn’t have many issues with it. But, it isn’t true rolling release or true Arch but an Arch based distro in my view.

1 Like

Indeed. Brexit is an headache…

Gun powered country? United States of America and the right to have a gun nearly everywhere.

I was just joking about a country where every year thousands of people are either hurt or killed by bullets… Which are fired by guns.

No problem for me and Manjaro. It depends on your hardware… Graphical one is really a PITA.

Manjaro is a derivative of Archlinux. EndeavourOS is a pure Archlinux.

There are 3 officials ISO: Xfce, Plasma and Gnome. The others are community ones.

But the worst in ISO number? ArcoLinux with something like 60 ISO or so.

Manjaro is a rationalized rolling release. Manjaro team take some time to be sure bugs are fixed before pushing a package to their stable channel.

1 Like

Yes i understand they are community releases but I’m just saying i prefer the online or net install as opposed to downloading another ISO. As you point out Arco has more and that is another reason i don’t prefer it either. Too much going on there. I just think true rolling release if it’s Arch should be out when Arch releases it with in a reasonable amount of time. I’m not putting any of them down as i like both but just prefer EndeavourOS for these reasons same reason i preferred Antergos. It was more inline with Arch. Besides why would we need to hold back anything. We have the bugman here. :wink:

You’re right. I should have made that last comparison Ginger/Mary Ann.

1 Like

actually using distro’s is also a kinda form as politics :slight_smile: no right answer…

but only can tell is Ubuntu uses debian-unstable to make there base , but Manjaro uses arch-stable… the flow of water is pretty different, is like te water flows uphil from source… is kinda weird. For arch was probably better if its was based on arch-testing